• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    Gauging interest in a large assortment of brass. Helping a recent widow in getting rid of her husbands hoarding of brass from a range from where he was safety officer. She is not looking to get rich but what is a fair price for fired brass? I have sorted about half of the rifle brass, predominately 308, 30-06, 270, and 243 but also decent numbers of others. Another question is there any interest in mil stamped brass? Thanks Mark

Gauging interest in a large assortment of brass. Helping a recent widow in getting rid of her husbands hoarding of brass from a range from where he was safety officer. She is not looking to get rich but what is a fair price for fired brass? I have sorted about half of the rifle brass, predominately 308, 30-06, 270, and 243 but also decent numbers of others. Another question is there any interest in mil stamped brass? Thanks Mark

Demand and condition mean a lot when it comes to brass. 9mm, .223/5.56 and .308 are typically free to anyone who wants to spend a few minutes going through buckets at any given range. Demand goes up after that.
    EDIT- There are some unicorns that are worth north of $1 per piece.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Lots of variables there. Condition, times fired, caliber as mentioned, etc.

Also, depends how much time/effort you want to put into it.
    Sorted by caliber is worth more, deprimed/cleaned more, and if you're willing to ship it to someone.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In some calibers, mil brass is preferred.

Common calibers are desired, but easy to find free at ranges. Less common brass may be worth a lot, to the right person.

And quantity matters. I would be interested in .308 and .30-06, but only if a reasonable amount. Less than a couple of hundred would not be worth trying to meet.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    A 5 gallon bucket gets from about 50 pounds of rifle brass to about 75 pounds with pistol brass. The smaller the cases, the more packs in. The last bucket of scrap (no good for loading) cases I took to recycle was a bit over 50 pounds and I got $90 for it.

Unless you sort and clean the brass, it is really hard to get rich. Even sorted and cleaned, it’s still hard to get rich unless you don’t value your time.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    In some calibers, mil brass is preferred.

Common calibers are desired, but easy to find free at ranges. Less common brass may be worth a lot, to the right person.

And quantity matters. I would be interested in .308 and .30-06, but only if a reasonable amount. Less than a couple of hundred would not be worth trying to meet.

Like Pinecone mentioned, less common brass may be worth alot, "to the right person."

An example with less common brass might be .41 Magnum. No, you're typically not going to find .41 Mag laying around at the range. And if you did, you're likely frequenting the one odd range where there's only one guy who shoots .41 often who is leaving it. But even if you do find some, it's probably going to be of any value to less than 1 shooter in 300.

Even with the more common brass, "to the right person" will be the key.

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks for all the reply’s folks. Currently I have sorted by caliber but have not cleaned any. Some cases are shiny clean still in empty box, others not. At the moment I am up to 3 buckets of 308, 1 bucket of 30-06, 1 bucket of 270. Several buckets of 223/556 and mil stamp 30 cal. Various other calibers in smaller quantities. Trying to determine whether it is worth further sorting by head stamp and cleaning. Definitely not going to decap. It has taken several hours to get to this point.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks for all the reply’s folks. Currently I have sorted by caliber but have not cleaned any. Some cases are shiny clean still in empty box, others not. At the moment I am up to 3 buckets of 308, 1 bucket of 30-06, 1 bucket of 270. Several buckets of 223/556 and mil stamp 30 cal. Various other calibers in smaller quantities. Trying to determine whether it is worth further sorting by head stamp and cleaning. Definitely not going to decap. It has taken several hours to get to this point.

Hitting on "the right person" theme again, some reloaders will pay a premium for cleaned brass. But others (myself as one example) would actually prefer brass that has not been cleaned. Not only because of a potentially better price, but also because some flaws in fired brass are actually easier and quicker to detect in cases prior to cleaning.

Clear as mud I know, but it all depends on who wants what. You won't please everyone, so part of your consideration should be about pleasing yourself with regard to time and effort.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Usually not worth sorting by headstamp unless you are going to break them down into lots of 100. Then you’ll get a premium for some.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Hitting on "the right person" theme again, some reloaders will pay a premium for cleaned brass. But others (myself as one example) would actually prefer brass that has not been cleaned. Not only because of a potentially better price, but also because some flaws in fired brass are actually easier and quicker to detect in cases prior to cleaning.

Clear as mud I know, but it all depends on who wants what. You won't please everyone, so part of your consideration should be about pleasing yourself with regard to time and effort.

I would second this, I prefer dirty untouched brass. I hate getting decapped brass that’s not sized as I wash then size and decap the wash again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since no one has answered, if you really want, poke around the internet on range brass. You are likely taking in the range of 4-20 cents per case depending on what it is. Figure 4-6cpc for something common like 9, .40 and .45acp. Around 6-7cpc for .223/5.56. .308 and .30-06 maybe around 10-12cpc. .270, .243 and some other less common calibers probably up to 20cpc.

Same with less common pistol calibers like .44 mag. But it just depends on “the right person”. Unless willing to ship it, it makes your market fairly limited. That one or two guys who want the 44 magnum brass just might not need it that much. So they might only be willing to pay $20 for the 286 cases (or whatever).

Also depends on volume. Someone might be happy paying $40 for 200-300 .270 cases. But a bucket? They might never reload that much .270 in their life. Maybe they’d give you $100 for 1000 cases or $200 for an entire bucket of it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With that much, I would be interesting in a good bit of .30-06, mil .308, 5.56, 9mm, .45 ACP. And smaller amounts of .357 and .30 Carbine.

I would prefer as is also.

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    As I stated in post #2, it is all about what you have and quantities. I am TOTALLY interested in: 6.5 Grendel, 10mm, .44 Special and .357 Sig in quantities >200, provided you'll ship for an additional fee. It would require a killer deal for me to travel outside Baltimore County.

Gotcha SG. At the moment there are several grendel but not 200 yet. Will let you know when finished sorting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom