• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Finally had a chance to shoot the Auto Ordnance .30 cal carbine I bought awhile back.

I bought it on a whim without doing much research only to learn later a lot of folks had problems with them.

Ran 100 rounds through used USGI mags with four mis-feeds. 3 of the 4 Mis-feeds came when using a KI marked mag with a noticeably weak spring.

I then unwrapped two NOS USGI MAGS, a UQ and a KI that were still in the wax paper from the 1950’s. With these never before used USGI mags I had 100% reliability.

I can’t give specifics as to the accuracy. I was shooting at beer cans floating in Dad’s pond. It was accurate enough to sink the cans at 20-40 yards.

Overall, I guess I got lucky and got a good one from Auto Ordnance.

Pictures are the 1950 mags and the AO carbine along with my 1943 Inland Bavarian Rural Police carbine.

Attachments

• B6FBDD86-6236-41BD-9615-68846A767087.jpg
      B6FBDD86-6236-41BD-9615-68846A767087.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 237
    • C64FE2D8-ACF9-4EFE-8313-392D3ADBE551.jpg
      C64FE2D8-ACF9-4EFE-8313-392D3ADBE551.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 234

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I hope it continues to serve you well. Certainly a pretty carbine.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Always wanted one of those - timing doesn't seem to work out.

OP - those look like nice rifles! Glad you got the mag issue fixed. If you could post a video of a future range day with them, I can live vicariously through you! LOL

Agony Pain

Jun 26, 2022
    florida usa
    Finally had a chance to shoot the Auto Ordnance .30 cal carbine I bought awhile back.

I bought it on a whim without doing much research only to learn later a lot of folks had problems with them.

Ran 100 rounds through used USGI mags with four mis-feeds. 3 of the 4 Mis-feeds came when using a KI marked mag with a noticeably weak spring.

I then unwrapped two NOS USGI MAGS, a UQ and a KI that were still in the wax paper from the 1950’s. With these never before used USGI mags I had 100% reliability.

I can’t give specifics as to the accuracy. I was shooting at beer cans floating in Dad’s pond. It was accurate enough to sink the cans at 20-40 yards.

Overall, I guess I got lucky and got a good one from Auto Ordnance.

Pictures are the 1950 mags and the AO carbine along with my 1943 Inland Bavarian Rural Police carbine.
    the first M1 I bought was an auto ordinance and they are 99% interchanable with USGI and are made to USGI SPECS - in fact the first m2 conversion kit I purchased in 1979 I put in my Auto Ordinance and It fired 17 rounds per sec! Still have it to this day!

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
      IMG_0036.JPG
      214.1 KB · Views: 98
    • Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      161.6 KB · Views: 89

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    the first M1 I bought was an auto ordinance and they are 99% interchanable with USGI and are made to USGI SPECS - in fact the first m2 conversion kit I purchased in 1979 I put in my Auto Ordinance and It fired 17 rounds per sec! Still have it to this day!
    Not to take issue with your post, sir, but I’d heard that only the Fulton Armory carbines are interchangeable with and use some GI parts…I have no personal, first hand knowledge, but would sure welcome any insight.
    Reason being I love my GI carbines, but they are simply too nice to ding up in the field…a new “real” carbine would be a welcome substitute. I guess I could always get an old mix-master shooter, but seems like a new rifle would lay less guilt on myself.

Feb 28, 2013
    The fact that nobody ever made these reliably in either .357 or 9mm is hard to believe.
    My Garand was rebarreled in .308 so stands to reason somebody may have tried to mod one at some point

If it all it would take is a new barrel I’d be in

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Was the 9mm Chiappa not reliable?
    I don't know. I have never owned a Chiappa but the ones I've handled have never left me impressed. Yes, that's an opinion based on no direct experience with this product so I may be wrong.

Sirex