• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    My Husky digital calipers are driving me crazy. Zero has to be reset constantly and it keeps switching from inches to mm. Fresh battery made no difference.

I don't need F Class precision gear, but something that isn't going to be driving me crazy.

Thanks

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve had both but I really prefer dial.
    I threw out my last working digital years ago when it did exactly what your dealing with.
    Good luck

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I'm sold on the Mitutoyo, both from the recommendations from you guys and the on-line reviews.

There are a lot of models; is this the Mitutoyo part number of the one you're using? Mitutoyo 500-171-30

Thanks

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm sold on the Mitutoyo, both from the recommendations from you guys and the on-line reviews.

There are a lot of models; is this the Mitutoyo part number of the one you're using? Mitutoyo 500-171-30

Thanks

My Mitutoyo is model 500-196-30CAL

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Mitituyo and Starrett are the best of the bestest. Most mechanics use Fowler. Avoid getting them magnetized as they are very sensitive.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Mitutoyo is costly, we use them at work, I have a 12" model myself but we use them nearly every day and mistakes can cost tens of thousands of $.

Anyone have a recommendation for < $100

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    2nd iGaging. I upgraded from some Harbor Freight calipers that finally died. much better.

But it also depend on your use case. If you need aerospace tolerances on your PRS upper for 1.5 km shots, spend more.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    My Husky digital calipers are driving me crazy. Zero has to be reset constantly and it keeps switching from inches to mm. Fresh battery made no difference.

I don't need F Class precision gear, but something that isn't going to be driving me crazy.

Thanks

A Good set of dial or vernier calipers will out live any digital caliper bar none and are plenty accurate for reloading.

Starrett & Brown & Sharpe are two good machinist tool makers you can get dial calipers from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom