• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Bear in mind, we're talking a caliper, not a mic. Calipers aren't where I'd put my money - you really don't get what you pay for these days (unless its a mic). It's not like you're mixing gage blocks. For checking OAL/seating depth, any cheap ass caliper is probably fine.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I am very pleased with my Mitutoyo Digimatic Caliper. However, it was more expensive than $30 one suggested by Rambler.
    JB

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    About the same. :D

Certain tools I'll never cheap out on. For measuring tools I don't chance it. I build 3-6 engines a year that are beaters and 1 or 2 nice ones a year.

Now in reloading it comes down to what process your doing, what the tolerance is and how you doing it. Let's say your setjng a projectile .010 off the lands I don't care if once I got jam if it measures perfect to a ten thousandth. I'll take that measured repeatable number and that's now my "0" and I will back off jam basically like a ladder charge and the shoot groups. Then using the same tools and projectiles I'll measure for Coal. Or use a comparator do the same thing. Now if I use a very different projectile I'll redo the process. As long as the tool is repeatable for me measuring to the 10 thousandth and moving up or down in small Incraments basic stuff is just fine.

I mean if we want to build turbine engine parts and break out standards, climate controlled rooms so temp won't fluctuate your measure on metals by all means go wild. I just want repeatable results and work around the plus or minus limits.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    iGaging. Said to be equal or better than anything under $200. About $45 shipped.

Got in my iGaging.
    resolution of measurement is to .0005"
    Smooth, Much smoother than the cheap Harbor Freight caliper I got last year when mine died and I wanted to do reloading all weekend.

I need to bring it into work with some pin gauges & rods I have and compare to the Mitutoyos we have.

made in China, Ughh, maybe I should have searched for something <$100 made anywhere else.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Got in my iGaging.
    resolution of measurement is to .0005"
    Smooth, Much smoother than the cheap Harbor Freight caliper I got last year when mine died and I wanted to do reloading all weekend.

I need to bring it into work with some pin gauges & rods I have and compare to the Mitutoyos we have.

made in China, Ughh, maybe I should have searched for something <$100 made anywhere else.

I doubt there is anything <$100 made elsewhere

I would be very interested in the comparison.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    The Mitutoyo Digimatic arrived yesterday. I haven't had much time with it but, it's heavier & sturdier than the HF and Husky ones I have. And, more importantly it returns consistent measurements, holds zero, and doesn't keep switching to mm. That's what I was asking for. We'll see how it holds up over time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Mitutoyo Digimatic arrived yesterday. I haven't had much time with it but, it's heavier & sturdier than the HF and Husky ones I have. And, more importantly it returns consistent measurements, holds zero, and doesn't keep switching to mm. That's what I was asking for. We'll see how it holds up over time.

I'm very hard on things. Mine is a few years old and doing well. Before that I was replacing a Husky every few months. I hope you have the same experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom