• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    My head is spinning after reading for the last week. Looking to load 300 aac. I have 3 powders I'd like to use, primarily being lil gun, cfe black and last choice h110. I have a bunch of 150 grain hornady soft points from some rebates for plinking. I also have nosler 110 varmint projectiles.

I'll be loading for two different rifles, a rem 700 and a 8.5" Rainer barrel ar. Adjustable gas and both will only be ran suppressed.

Is it a easy brand statement to say use the lil gun for subsonic and cfe blk for supers with those projectiles? I'll work on tradinging into 190-220 grain projectiles later, I'd like to just mess with what I have. I've only seen sierra and hornady 208amax showing cfe blk subsonic data.

I'm just overwhelmed with the options.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I started with 4227 and Members here pushed me to use 110 or lil gun. I found a couple lb of 110 so switched to that.
    I use 110 for 160gr supersonic and 220gr subsonic
    Both are lead casted powder coat
    I also used it on some 110gr fmj supersonic & 147fmj supersonic.
    So, 110 faired me well across a broad spectrum of loads
    Don't know if it was just my load work ups or what, but my brake was pretty caked up after about 300 rounds.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I would say H110 is better, but if you buy lilgun instead, I have a better chance of finding H110 in the future. :lol2:

Seriously though, both lilgun and H110 are good powders. I prefer H110, but both work fine for 300 BO.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just to be clear, I have zero experience with the other 2, just saying what I've done and been happy with H110

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    And remember W296 is the exact same powder as H110 and can be easier to find some times.

I use H110-W296 for all 300bo super loads
    And A1680 for 300bo subs (and 458 socom, but that’s not important ;) )

I use 110 exclusively for 300 BO both super and subs. 10.1 for 220 grn subs gets me 1050 fps from a 10.2 inch barrel.

19.0 for 110 vmax .. sorry cant recall the velocity but at 50 yards i can cover 3 rounds with a nickle. They do pretty well out of my 16 inch carbine too.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I really like 1680 and finally worked up(or down rather)a sub load that works reliably with 150 fmj in my 10.5” pistol. I was on a quest to find a cheap plinking load since I have a mountain of hornady 150 gr bullets. It’s super quiet running them around 1000 fps. Only thing is it dirties the gun up something fierce.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I really like 1680 and finally worked up(or down rather)a sub load that works reliably with 150 fmj in my 10.5” pistol. I was on a quest to find a cheap plinking load since I have a mountain of hornady 150 gr bullets. It’s super quiet running them around 1000 fps. Only thing is it dirties the gun up something fierce.

1680 has been my only sub powder for 300 blk. I have found no equal. Find some 200-208gr projectiles and you won't believe the accuracy from your Rainier.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've used both Lil Gun (supers) and CFE BLK (subs). They work fine, and I just don't see a lot of percentage in trying to reinvent the wheel.

I thought the more interesting part of the OP's post was the "I'm going to use it in a bolt gun and an 8.5" AR". The thing is, trying to get a single sub load to run subsonic in a 16" bolt gun while simultaneously reliably cycling a short AR can be a difficult challenge that I think some people don't appreciate, especially if said AR isn't running a suppressor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've used both Lil Gun (supers) and CFE BLK (subs). They work fine, and I just don't see a lot of percentage in trying to reinvent the wheel.

I thought the more interesting part of the OP's post was the "I'm going to use it in a bolt gun and an 8.5" AR". The thing is, trying to get a single sub load to run subsonic in a 16" bolt gun while simultaneously reliably cycling a short AR can be a difficult challenge that I think some people don't appreciate, especially if said AR isn't running a suppressor.

IDK, CFE black as a sub load did not compare to 1680. I tried

As far as the two differing setups, sub development is a dance we've all done. I have no doubt he will find something(or two) that will work. Often it's a matter of "I have to find a way to make this work", but in the end, it either will or won't. I think he has a good chance at both, though maybe two separate loads.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    1680 has been my only sub powder for 300 blk. I have found no equal. Find some 200-208gr projectiles and you won't believe the accuracy from your Rainier.

I agree. This was from a 10.5 cheap PSA upper.

208 a max are about the same.

Attachments

• 2D3F18FF-C525-4977-B440-A6E7807532DF.jpg
      2D3F18FF-C525-4977-B440-A6E7807532DF.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 71

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County

Those same 150 fmj loads I was talking about will crack 4 out of 5 times through my 16” encore barrel. It was a fine line getting them to cycle reliably in the ar and keep them from going supersonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom