• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was in Academy Sports today and found a bit of a deal. I hadn't planned on buying a gun today, but I figured the price was right for a gun that had gotten decent reviews, so I took the plunge.

Stoeger STR9- striker fired 15+1 9mm pistol that is roughly between Glock 19 and 17 size. The value edition comes only with one magazine and a cheap cardboard box. There is a better edition with three mags and night sights, but I didn't want to shell out too much money. Both backstraps and mags can be found online and from what I have discovered, the pistol will fit in leather holsters designed for the Glock 17.

There definitely is a Glock influence here, with the trigger safety and the takedown tabs. The grips feel like a combination of Smith & Wesson M&P and HK, with an angle similar to Glock.

One of the downsides is the feed ramp, which has a finish on it that made initial chamberings a little tough. I worked with it for a while (in a controlled environment) cycling rounds and the problem worked itself out.

I took the pistol out and shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ rounds. All fed just fine, brass ejected fine, and the holes were generally where I wanted them to be. With a little more trigger time, I'm certain they will tighten up.

The pistol is much more impressive than it's $299.99 price tag would lead you to believe.

The alternatives at Academy were all Tauruses or very small Rugers chambered in .380. I didn't want to get anything in a new to me caliber, so I shopped the 9mm pistols. This one fit the bill, so I gave it a try.

261262688_10165623462890585_2892256720633007402_n.jpg

260375053_10165623462880585_8836059931274324657_n.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Nice

Get a kydex holster for that trigger safety.

You don't want to take a chance for the leather to get soft on you.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I was in Academy Sports today and found a bit of a deal. I hadn't planned on buying a gun today, but I figured the price was right for a gun that had gotten decent reviews, so I took the plunge.

Stoeger STR9- striker fired 15+1 9mm pistol that is roughly between Glock 19 and 17 size. The value edition comes only with one magazine and a cheap cardboard box. There is a better edition with three mags and night sights, but I didn't want to shell out too much money. Both backstraps and mags can be found online and from what I have discovered, the pistol will fit in leather holsters designed for the Glock 17.

There definitely is a Glock influence here, with the trigger safety and the takedown tabs. The grips feel like a combination of Smith & Wesson M&P and HK, with an angle similar to Glock.

One of the downsides is the feed ramp, which has a finish on it that made initial chamberings a little tough. I worked with it for a while (in a controlled environment) cycling rounds and the problem worked itself out.

I took the pistol out and shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ rounds. All fed just fine, brass ejected fine, and the holes were generally where I wanted them to be. With a little more trigger time, I'm certain they will tighten up.

The pistol is much more impressive than it's $299.99 price tag would lead you to believe.

The alternatives at Academy were all Tauruses or very small Rugers chambered in .380. I didn't want to get anything in a new to me caliber, so I shopped the 9mm pistols. This one fit the bill, so I gave it a try.

261262688_10165623462890585_2892256720633007402_n.jpg

260375053_10165623462880585_8836059931274324657_n.jpg

That Stoeger is a nice gun at a great price. I went gun shopping this weekend and specifically was targeting the STR-9, ready to buy. It feels just like a Glock 19 at almost half the price. I was going to buy it but the new PDP caught my eye. I still should have bought the Stoeger anyway. I'm still considering it. Please give us an update after you get more rounds in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom