• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    My old apartment in PA could really tie or beat anything.

Knob and Tube wiring, household extension cords spliced into the wiring, random wires terminated with duck tape, bare hot wires in the ceiling.

It was really a sad commentary.

linthicum

Aug 29, 2009
    It looks to me that 100amp is all you are going to need. The only real load looks to be your A/C. Furnace, range, water heater and dryer are gas correct. I would do a load calculation, figure in your future addition and how you plan to heat and cool it. Then you could change out your panel to a newer larger 100amp panel(more circuits) and save a little money. Or you can just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 200amp. But plan on spending $1500 or more. Your meter will have to be relocated out side so more than likely your electrician will have to come back out to do a BGE work with. Now this is without looking at it. But with how you said that the service drop runs through the patio your panel may have to be located on another wall and your circuits junction. I would have a reputable electrician look at your house and give you his opinion. Its you and your family's life and everything you own that at stake, Don't put a few hundred dollar price tag on it.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I do electrical work on the side. Here are some of my projects. Give me a call.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      16.5 KB · Views: 208
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      30.2 KB · Views: 209
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      16.8 KB · Views: 206
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      20.2 KB · Views: 205
    • 16.JPG
      16.JPG
      17.5 KB · Views: 200
    • 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      13.4 KB · Views: 207

gigawatt

Mar 6, 2009
    That's some fine work mud turtle! I need to stock my van with some tuna cans in case I run out of 1900 boxes.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Electric n00b here. Why go from 100a to 200a? What's the benefit/need? My house is probably 20years old...what is my setup likely to be?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I do electrical work on the side. Here are some of my projects. Give me a call.

Impressive, but you still have much to learn yet :D...

I especially admire the way the keychain fob doubles as an insulator.

Attachments

• dirk-switch.jpg
      dirk-switch.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 193
    • yoshi-keys.jpg
      yoshi-keys.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 199

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Are those pictures real? If so, O-M-G

Electric n00b here. Why go from 100a to 200a? What's the benefit/need? My house is probably 20years old...what is my setup likely to be?

With electricity more is better, especially in summer as people run air conditioning units. 200A also gives you more room to expand, add new circuits, or new electrical devices. Since some devices like large microwaves, garbage disposals, pools, etc use a lot of power, it's good to have that extra. It also increases the value of your home.

20 years, I'd say 150 maybe. You can tell by looking at your breaker. There should be a large breaker at the top with a number on the handle, that'll be your setup. It'll be between 100-200.

tjocus

Nov 20, 2008
    one other note, i cant see for sure but you cannot have more than 48" of unfused service cable inside your dwelling.... in other words your meter might have to be relocated ( outside ) so that just enough service cable can enter the house to go directly to your panel... if its out of code now, youre ok ,the NEC police are not going to come and get you but if you do do a work-with BGE and pull a permit all current codes will have to be met.. looks like an easy job ! :thumbsup:

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Rather than start new thread figured I would ask here. Need an electrician fix 2 kitchen gfi circuits for a house in randallstown

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I will let you know next week.

I have Gurley Electric doing some work on Monday.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Having 2 GFI recepticles out at the same time almost sounds like another GFI on the same circuit has tripped. I'd check into that first

(sorry couldn't help myself! LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom