• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    <- not a fan. Would have to shoot with one. I'm VERY accurate using the 90* vertical grip on my 11.5" AR.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    <- not a fan. Would have to shoot with one. I'm VERY accurate using the 90* vertical grip on my 11.5" AR.

The goal of the AFG is not increased accuracy but better "pointability" and recoil management. I do agree with you and will reserve judgement until I shoot with one.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Once I get back in town, my ERGO rails will be waiting for me. Then I can attatch the AGF to my MOE HGs.

If anyone is in the area and wants to shoot, let me know. Willing to shoot anytime.

I think it is a great idea. I just think the AFG on carbine length is too short. I even recall Costa saying he runs it on an 11" rail all the way out. Just have to get another AR.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    FOX is right, Costa does run a longer than carbine length rail. I would like to hear your observations on the AFG on the carbine length rail.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    My AFG is installed on my mid length rail, and feels about perfect for my wingspan. I agree that it would probably feel too close [for me] on a carbine length rail.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I plan on running mine all the way out on a rifle length rail attahed to my carbine. It seems the design definitely benefits from the long length grip.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I cant wait to report back with my observations.

Is there anyone heading to BRGC? or where can I shoot? OnTarget wont take 223.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I understand the discussion regarding running this on a mid-length rail vs. a carbine length and how it accomodates individual body size. What I don't understand is how it would make a difference if you were running an AFG, a traditional vertical foregrip, or just a straight carbine length rail with covers? If your arms are so long that it is not comfortable it is not a function of the add-on grips, it is a function of the carbine length being too short. Would you not want to go to a mid-length system to fix that problem?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I understand the discussion regarding running this on a mid-length rail vs. a carbine length and how it accomodates individual body size. What I don't understand is how it would make a difference if you were running an AFG, a traditional vertical foregrip, or just a straight carbine length rail with covers? If your arms are so long that it is not comfortable it is not a function of the add-on grips, it is a function of the carbine length being too short. Would you not want to go to a mid-length system to fix that problem?

I dont thnk people are thnking this accessory through. From my perspective it not made for a Carbine handguard equipped gun, even if it has rails.

I dont even think its optimal for a midlength forend. I put 12" or longer rails on my serious use AR's when I reach out my hand is 1" short of the end of the 12" rail. Midlesgth are too short, now you have to consider that Ive been trained by MAgpul Dynamics so I shoot like Chris Costa teaches. I drive the rifle straight out and square off to the target. Whn I shoot my M4 with my armor on the stock is completely collapsed and my nose almost touches the charging handle.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I dont thnk people are thnking this accessory through. From my perspective it not made for a Carbine handguard equipped gun, even if it has rails.

I dont even think its optimal for a midlength forend. I put 12" or longer rails on my serious use AR's when I reach out my hand is 1" short of the end of the 12" rail. Midlesgth are too short, now you have to consider that Ive been trained by MAgpul Dynamics so I shoot like Chris Costa teaches. I drive the rifle straight out and square off to the target. Whn I shoot my M4 with my armor on the stock is completely collapsed and my nose almost touches the charging handle.

I hear what you're saying. I'm running it on a LWRCI M6A3 which is a mid-length, but I do not have long arms either. I haven't tried it on a carbine length AR, but I did try it on the SCAR to see how it felt- it was a no go for me, but the SCAR doesn't have enough forward rail length in my opinion either.

Prior to using the AFG, I've been running primarily stubby verticals, but I use them with the thumb foward grip with my hand on the rail. I have also always run my verticals as far forward as possible to assist in driving the gun. From my perspective, the pro of vertical is the ability to use it brace on barricades (which can also be a con ;) ). The biggest con for me has always been the problems it creates in the prone particularly when shooting off an improvised rest like a ruck or assault pack. The AFG sort of addresses all these issues. The only question mark for me is how good that hand stop will be for barricade work.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I hear what you're saying. I'm running it on a LWRCI M6A3 which is a mid-length, but I do not have long arms either. I haven't tried it on a carbine length AR, but I did try it on the SCAR to see how it felt- it was a no go for me, but the SCAR doesn't have enough forward rail length in my opinion either.

Prior to using the AFG, I've been running primarily stubby verticals, but I use them with the thumb foward grip with my hand on the rail. I have also always run my verticals as far forward as possible to assist in driving the gun. From my perspective, the pro of vertical is the ability to use it brace on barricades (which can also be a con ;) ). The biggest con for me has always been the problems it creates in the prone particularly when shooting off an improvised rest like a ruck or assault pack. The AFG sort of addresses all these issues. The only question mark for me is how good that hand stop will be for barricade work.

EXCELLENT summary, and I couldnt agree more. Ill have to give mine a thorough test when they make on in FDE.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Kev, whats the correlation between a handstop and barricade work?

Probably because the AFG is angled which wouldn't work as well as a VFG if you are pressing against the barricade in an over barricade situation.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    well it does have the handstop on the front so in all fairness it still could be pressed against the barricade and actually be a lower profile behind the barricade for cover.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    Oh and more than likely i might be going out and freezing my marbles off on saturday at hap baker to try out the afg if anyone wanted to check it out and feel it for themselves

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom