• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    I buying tss's rem 700 he is selling. Don't know a whole lot about bolt guns, been a semi guy forever. Wondering whats the first few things i should try to upgrade to make it a better shooter for not a whole lot of money. And remember you are talking to a total newb when it comes to these guns. It comes with a scope and rings so those will stay until i can afford better glass.

What would be a good stock to upgrade too for not too much money.
    Are the triggers adjustable at all? I am reading as much as possible as i can right now but any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks guys

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I was going to buy that 700 from tss... But you beat me to it.
    anyways,
    Did some research on the SPS 700 varmint. It has the same barrel as the SPS tactical, BDL action and I think has the X-trigger, which is user adjustable using one screw. This should be a sub-MOA gun right out of the box. (It should group < "1@ 100 yards). It is a good foundation for any upgrades and should serve you well. The only upgrade the tactical has over the varmint model is the freefloated stock. Thats a difference of a .70" group vs. a 0.50" group. If you are shooting at < 300 yards... that is minimal. IMO

Reviews actually rate it better than the VTR rifles. Since the stock is not free-floated, the addition of a quality aftermarket stock, bedding should easily make that into a sub .5 MOA gun.

For starters, I think you need to get the feel of the stock gun first before spending money on other improvements. I would recommend getting a Harris type bipod and a spotting scope. With good ammo, you should be able to make tiny little cluster of bullet holes at real rifle ranges.

congratulations on your new toy.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Shoot it first, try it out and if you go for stocks try these:
    these can be costly
    http://www.accuracyinternational.com/aics_kits.php
    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#a5

H-S Precision
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/mfg=393/Products/H_S_PRECISION

Triggers read here:
    http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx

or from the site:
    The X-Mark Pro™ Trigger delivers true custom-grade performance in a production trigger, and for 2009 is user-adjustable with readily available tools. Not that you’ll feel the need. This year’s version will also come from the factory with a lighter average pull weight – 3 1/2 with 2 lbs. range of adjustment. While others use gadgets and add-ons to hide inconsistencies, Remington eliminates them with state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques and the tightest possible production tolerances.

A mirror-like finish on its components enhances corrosion resistance and adds to its breaks-like-glass feel. The externally adjustable X-Mark Pro Trigger is now standard equipment on new Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles.

Welcome to the Bolt Action world

-Rock

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    sorry SCARCQB, i saw that on there and was second guessing on if i should get it or not, then said you know what if i don't and sleep on it the gun will be sold by morning. Guess i would of been right. Yeah i guess i will just see what i can do with it for a while as is. Going to be loading up my own ammo so that should help with the accuracy a bit. And thanks again for the help, can't wait to get it next week when i get back from TN

I bought the same gun 3 years back now. Was pretty accurate being stock but after putting on med. quality rings and scope, I added a Bell and Carlson medalist stock. It has the full length bed block for the action and it turned that good shooter into a great shooter, definitely under .5 moa now with quality ammol. Will put up a pict when I can...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Good scope and rings and shoot it. The weaknesses will show. My guess is the stock will be the first to go and maybe the trigger depending on how good the new X-mark is. It's a solid gun and should shoot pretty well as is. If not we can get it there.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    i need to get to the range and shoot some groups and post here.
    i bought the sps varmint from a&d pawn,so far i am very happy.
    havent felt the need to change anything,yet.:)

I built my old BDL the hard way and went with a varmint barrel and I'm extremely happy with it. (see my images) I spent a chunk on glass, stock, and trigger but I've never regreted it. I don't know much about the new 700s but if it's anything like the old ones, you've got a real nail driver. One thing about a Jewel trigger, you can set it down to OUNCES of pull.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I've read mixed reviews on the X Mark Pro trigger. I just bought a 5R from Dan and it has an older non-externally adjustable X Mark trigger on it. The pull weight from the factory is 5.5 lbs. Rather than messing around and trying to see if I can get it right, I think I will just put a Timney trigger on it. There is a seller on Gunbroker selling the Timney #510 in black with the bolt release (standard on all 700 models) and safety for $112 delivered, which is a great deal. The biggest gripe I've read is that the X Mark Pro's pull weight is inconsistant and changes over time. Frank Och said he could do a trigger job for $45 on it, but I think the money would be better spent on a Timney, and I'll probably be happier in the long run.
    Any opinions to share?

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I just got home, This afternoon.. passed by Tss place to pick up a Remington700 SPS varmint 308 rifle.

I am very pleased with this purchase. Tss1004 is an awesome guy to deal with.

Now, For the upgrades:

Incoming.....
    Bell and Carlson A5 Stock Green with Black webbing
    Armstech 7 round mag extension
    Harris bipod 6-9"
    EGW 20 MOA base
    30mm Medium Rings, GGG
    Horus Vision Scope , Predator( 8-26x) H27 reticle
    Monopod

maybe an Timney Trigger ( 2.5lbs)

This is going to be SWEET!

Attachments

• Rem700sps.jpg
      Rem700sps.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 218

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    what scope is that?

I'm pretty sure that's just a cheap "let me get on paper" scope that Justin threw on there when he first got it, then sold along with the rifle. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and since he didn't end up keeping the rifle, he definitely saved a lot of money by not buying one of the premium scopes (for >$1K) that one needs to reach out to 1000 yards.

If you look at SCAR's list of intended upgrades, you'll see that he's (obviously) going to be putting a new scope on there.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    what scope is that?
    It looks like a Generic 4-12x40mm Remington package deal scope from Dick's sporting goods.

These were part of a Rem 700 package deal at Dick's sometime ago. Installed on what I believe are Leupold bases and rings. The scope actually has the Remington logo imprinted on the Windage cap and comes with see-thru covers.
    Reticle is a standard 30-30 Plex pattern.

I'll try it out this weekend to see if it holds. It will eventually end up on a 10/22 project that is on the back burner right now.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    Not trying to imply anything, but how is it someone has 3 of the same rifle unfired. Most of the stuff he is selling is unfired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom