• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    This is my first serious venture into Bolt guns. I have a few Military bolt action rifles that I do not really shoot. They are simply collectors pieces... You can say that they are unfired.

I need to find a Gunsmith that can thread the barrel. I have a YHM Phantom Suppressor en route. The only thing I hate about getting into a new platform is that I have to spend a bit to get it to where I want it to be. but I'm excited... maybe one day I can keep up with the F-class folks.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Most of us have multiple ARs or Glocks... Nothing really collectible about those. I just think that the Rem 700 in 308 is the LEGO of bolt action rifles.

I love that quote. It's totally accurate. Rem 700 : bolt-actions :: AR-15 : tacticool rifles :: Ruger 10-22 : rimfires (yay, everyone remember your analogies from the SAT)

And while the Rem 700 isn't collectible now, at least it has all the ingredients to potentially be collectible some time, in that it's a high quality gun that is widely respected. Rem 770s, on the other hand ...

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    This is my first serious venture into Bolt guns. I have a few Military bolt action rifles that I do not really shoot. They are simply collectors pieces... You can say that they are unfired.

I need to find a Gunsmith that can thread the barrel. I have a YHM Phantom Suppressor en route. The only thing I hate about getting into a new platform is that I have to spend a bit to get it to where I want it to be. but I'm excited... maybe one day I can keep up with the F-class folks.

You will enjoy it. Bolt-actions are a different kind of fun than semi-autos. I typically like to bring one of each to the range, and then I never get bored.

And maybe the people who've been here longer than I will laugh at his question, but ... do you ever take a new rifle and not turn it into a Class III item?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You will enjoy it. Bolt-actions are a different kind of fun than semi-autos. I typically like to bring one of each to the range, and then I never get bored.

And maybe the people who've been here longer than I will laugh at his question, but ... do you ever take a new rifle and not turn it into a Class III item?

I stopped doing class3 stuff last year:sad20:
    My kids are in college and that quickly put a big dent on the " Fun" budget.

I'm also getting older, time to slow down a bit... In terms of cyclic rate that is.
    The Bolt gun is a bit more relaxing to shoot and does not burn up ammo as bad. It is time to go for quality instead of quantity.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

actually..yes.. his ruger 10/22 is not currently a class iii.. :lol2: (for now that is)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    actually..yes.. his ruger 10/22 is not currently a class iii.. :lol2: (for now that is)

Funny you said that..

I just ordered a 20" threaded barrel for that to allow for a suppressor. :innocent0

Class 3 stuff is fun... I mainly do it for investment and collection purposes. But there are very few ranges that allow their use.Parts and repairs are difficult. So, most stay unused.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I stopped doing class3 stuff last year:sad20:
    My kids are in college and that quickly put a big dent on the " Fun" budget.

I'm also getting older, time to slow down a bit... In terms of cyclic rate that is.
    The Bolt gun is a bit more relaxing to shoot and does not burn up ammo as bad. It is time to go for quality instead of quantity.

Are you a reloader? That's definitely been a big part of me being able to go for quality with my bolt gun.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    I love that quote. It's totally accurate. Rem 700 : bolt-actions :: AR-15 : tacticool rifles :: Ruger 10-22 : rimfires (yay, everyone remember your analogies from the SAT)

And while the Rem 700 isn't collectible now, at least it has all the ingredients to potentially be collectible some time, in that it's a high quality gun that is widely respected. Rem 770s, on the other hand ...

i on the other hand do not think it will be collectible.
    it is not rare,it is in current production and will be for some time.
    it may hold a perceived value but never gain value.
    i understand collecting for purpose of having them,but not for
    monetary gain.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Back to the 700... in response to the OPs original question.

I was studying the rifle last night and It is a quality piece of precision machinery. The only thing that really needs to be replaced asap is the stock. If you do not want to replace it, free -float the darn thing. Remington kept the cost on these things down by cutting corners on the stock.

The current plastic stock does not free-float the barrel. The longer 26" barrel may be affected by distortion caused by pressure ( bipod, sling, rest ect) and result in some deviation. With a little bit of elbow grease, simple tools... the barrel channel can be inletted to free-float the barrel. One can even do a quick action bedding job with a DIY kit from Brownells.

Second cheap mod is the addition of a Bipod. Copies or clones of the famous harris bipods should work just as well.

Third, EGW one piece bases. 0-10 MOA for shorter ranges, One day I will upgrade to a 20 MOA base as my skills improve.( a 20 moa base is tapered at the front, causing the scope to point downward. This allows for more elevation adjustments for long range shots. Most scopes are not capable of internal adjustments at these distances)

Fourth cheap ad on... An old sock filled with sand. This little gadget used in conjunction with a sturdy bipod will increase accuracy better than any other expensive gizmo out there. Just make sure you use a clean sock. The sand should also be baked at 350 degrees for an hour to kill any funky stuff that may contaminate it or hold moisture.

Fifth.... Adjust that scope so that eye relief is perfect for you. Position the rings and scope so that you get the best sight picture from the shooting position that you will use the most. It should also be comfortable, and come up into correct position the instant you shoulder the weapon. If you are straining to get sighted... adjust that glass to suit you.

The most important thing.... Break in that new barrel correctly. You only get a new barrel once. Don't screw this procedure up.

I'm sure that the bolt-gun gurus will chime in later for correct barrel- break-in procedure.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Are you a reloader? That's definitely been a big part of me being able to go for quality with my bolt gun.

I'm too distracted right now to reload..> For safety... I'm sticking with factory loads right now.

Lx1x reloads 308... but He's distracted too... watching taekwondo moms and floating around on his pool.

hawxter996

Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    I'm not sure what your "thoughts" are, but I can assure you that every gun has been purchased legally, has been kept in accordance with all laws, and the sale was for reasons previously stated in another thread. Some people drink, some go on vacation, some buy guns. The nature of my collecting habits are purely my business as I've followed every law, I've worked hard to earn the money, and now some (including you) have benefited from my choosing to sell some things.

Not sure what you are implying dude, but it's not cool.

I will send you a list of what I still have and you can tell me if I have too many multiples and what I should sell.

Before I purchase anything else I'll ask your permission as well.

Perhaps I should start a thread to make sure it's okay with you and hawxster what I should buy next.

I'll also forward my weekly banking information so you can advise me on how to allocate the money I earn.

Please let me know if I've forgotten anything else you'd like to have a say in.

whoa slow down!...im not implying anything and im sure the other gent isnt either.

i have a remmy 700 myself,but i dont think it will be collectible.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    i on the other hand do not think it will be collectible.
    it is not rare,it is in current production and will be for some time.
    it may hold a perceived value but never gain value.
    i understand collecting for purpose of having them,but not for
    monetary gain.

People don't always collect for "Monetary Gain". I never have and probably never will. But if someone earns the money, they can "collect" whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

You have six guns if your signature reflects your collection. Some would consider that too many. Some of us consider that a drop in the bucket. But really, it's nobody's business but yours.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would just get the 20 moa base to start. No need having to redo your scope mounting and zero. Buy once cry once. :thumbsup:

But I only have access to a 100 yard range right now... Will that affect my ability to zero my optics at that range or will it be at the edge of its mechanical adjustment. I'm going strictly by theory... Actual experience is more valued than that.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    whoa slow down!...im not implying anything and im sure the other gent isnt either.

i have a remmy 700 myself,but i dont think it will be collectible.

You happened to chime in with 06MegaCTD, perhaps you aren't "implying" anything. But you jumped on the bandwagon, even if just the periphery of the bandwagon. My issue has less to do with you, and now that you've clarified your position I'm cool with it. You think it's unlikely that a 700 SPS will be of collector value, and you are most likely correct, I completely agree with that.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    But I only have access to a 100 yard range right now... Will that affect my ability to zero my optics at that range or will it be at the edge of its mechanical adjustment. I'm going strictly by theory... Actual experience is more valued than that.
    Not at all. My rifle is zeroed at 100 yards and it has a 20 moa base on it. It only comes into play at the longer distances.

hawxter996

Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    People don't always collect for "Monetary Gain". I never have and probably never will. But if someone earns the money, they can "collect" whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

You have six guns if your signature reflects your collection. Some would consider that too many. Some of us consider that a drop in the bucket. But really, it's nobody's business but yours.

my reply was to the gentleman who brought up the word collector.
    collector as in investment,i just thought a remmy 700 wasnt.
    not pointing at you in any way.
    sometimes words have two meanings.

i guess im a collector also.:party29:

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD

That would depend on the internal adjustability of the optic. Nightforce 5.5-22 nxs, for example, has 100 moa adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom