• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As the old saying goes, Don't let my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them when I pass on.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (I hope) but I do have a surgery coming up soon to remove a kidney stone and while it's a routine operation, there's always a chance that something goes awry.

So, the only thing she really doesn't know about in terms of value is the collection. Given that I haven't checked certain markets recently either, I'm asking for ballpark figures to leave her a list as a "just in case" document.

Here's what I've got that I need a price check on and general condition:

- Austrian Steyr M95/34: Very good condition. No rust, smooth action, very good rifling, no issues with furniture

- Savage 1907 .32ACP: Standard type, VG-EX condition. Complete original grips, original mag

- Savage 720 (A5 Variant) 85% finish on receiver with honest wear at edges. No rust. Excellent patina at wear points, wood in very good condition, bore is mirror finish, crappy recoil pad is only drawback.

Argentine Rosario MkIV FAL (built with FN tooling): Century receiver. No issues with feeding or running. Excellent condition

FEG PA-63: Excellent condition. No exterior wear, 2 mags

Everything else in the collection I know, but all of these have had such wide swings in pricing from what I've seen online, so I just need an honest ballpark to write down for the wife just in case. Thanks in advance gentlemen.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sent a PM with some pricing info for what it's worth.
    Some years back my father asked me if I had a master inventory list of all my firearms. Up to this point my bound book was it. But I realized that I had quite a few acquisitions from my youth, before the FFL and the bound book. He was worried that if something horrible happened to me they would be clueless as to value. So I put together a spread sheet with all the info from the bound book along with a column for value. I also have a notes section so that things like "matching", "deluxe version", condition estimate, etc that have an impact on value can be documented. Even went so far as to assign an inventory number and paper tag. So if I get hit by a bus my family knows what the value of each item is and the tag with inventory number points them to the exact item. For someone with a larger collection it's a necessity. Best case scenario is where I can adopt out all the items in the collection to new homes before I die and that the family won't have to get involved. Hope for the best, plan for the worst!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So just how old are you?

Merely idle curiosity, of course . . .

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Starting my 6th decade on the planet. I can see retirement on the near horizon and now realize that what took 30-40 yrs to accumulate will take a long time to dispose of. Esp. if I want to find "good homes" for my "kids" and you have zero guarantee of a life span.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Sent a PM with some pricing info for what it's worth.
    Some years back my father asked me if I had a master inventory list of all my firearms. Up to this point my bound book was it. But I realized that I had quite a few acquisitions from my youth, before the FFL and the bound book. He was worried that if something horrible happened to me they would be clueless as to value. So I put together a spread sheet with all the info from the bound book along with a column for value. I also have a notes section so that things like "matching", "deluxe version", condition estimate, etc that have an impact on value can be documented. Even went so far as to assign an inventory number and paper tag. So if I get hit by a bus my family knows what the value of each item is and the tag with inventory number points them to the exact item. For someone with a larger collection it's a necessity. Best case scenario is where I can adopt out all the items in the collection to new homes before I die and that the family won't have to get involved. Hope for the best, plan for the worst!

I have a master inventory that resides in an Excel spreadsheet but I haven't updated current FMV in a long time. Also, I have so many guns that I need to photograph it isn't even funny. I don't envy my wife when I kick the bucket.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks for the help everyone. Made it through surgery just fine. Have a ureteral stent in which suuuuuuucks, but that comes out Friday. I now have a much better matter list system on my computer and should be able to keep it updated better now. Thanks again!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone. Made it through surgery just fine. Have a ureteral stent in which suuuuuuucks, but that comes out Friday. I now have a much better matter list system on my computer and should be able to keep it updated better now. Thanks again!

Did they leave the string hanging out for the later removal? If they did remember to grab something sturdy with each hand and hang on when the time comes. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a spreadsheet with all the pertinent info; model#, serial#, purchase date and cost, barrel length, finish, etc. I am also slowly but surely working on a photo archive. The one thing I don't include is current estimated value. When the time comes I don't want me wife seeing that I paid $275 for an 1915 vintage Colt 1911 and thinking "Ok, $500 would be good to get for it!" after I'm gone.

I just spent 2 days in the hospital with blood clots in 1 leg and both lungs and after hearing he Doctor say I'm very lucky to come in when I did, I'm starting to thunk more and more about planning for "that day"

This time last week those thoughts never would have entered my head.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a spreadsheet with all the pertinent info; model#, serial#, purchase date and cost, barrel length, finish, etc. I am also slowly but surely working on a photo archive. The one thing I don't include is current estimated value. When the time comes I don't want me wife seeing that I paid $275 for an 1915 vintage Colt 1911 and thinking "Ok, $500 would be good to get for it!" after I'm gone.

I just spent 2 days in the hospital with blood clots in 1 leg and both lungs and after hearing he Doctor say I'm very lucky to come in when I did, I'm starting to thunk more and more about planning for "that day"

This time last week those thoughts never would have entered my head.

Sorry to hear about the issue you're dealing with. Glad things went well. I think most don't realize how delicate our lives are. Many are just 1 blood clot away from an eternal nap or a skipped heartbeat away from meeting your maker.

Gun prices are not something I worry about. If I have those firearms when I pass, it's going to be up to my family to do with them what they will. My wish is that none of my firearms leave the family. I really hope my kids will want everything I own. But if they are sold, so be it. It's not my worry at that point. My family is smart enough to investigate the value of my firearms. Knowing them, they will hold out for the highest prices they can get. At least I was able to teach them that.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Did they leave the string hanging out for the later removal? If they did remember to grab something sturdy with each hand and hang on when the time comes. Don't ask me how I know. :innocent0

No string. I'm due at the doctor's office tomorrow to get the stent out. Not looking forward to the procedure, but am looking forward to the end of the searing pain every time I have to use the facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom