• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've always liked the inter-period weapons just post-war. The FN-49, AG-42, MAS49, and other short-lived semi-autos are like kryptonie to my bank account.

I can easily pick up a Czech VZ-52 rifle in original 7.62x45 chambering and no rhino-lining to worry about on the stock. But the price is steep, $700.

Pros:
    Online dealer that I've not had issues with in the past
    Ability to use CC to make it less harsh on the wallet up front

Cons:
    Price is likely steep? But I'm not sure
    Ammo availability can be sketchy, it's all corrosive surplus, and expensive at between $0.50 and $0.66/rnd

Thoughts?

Jul 1, 2012
    you never pay too much, just too early :)
    If it hasn't been monkeyed with then it should always be in demand in the future IMHO.

But I'm not the best to give advice on restraint...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Buy once cry once. Not sure these will ever escalate but we have all spent way too much time pondering a purchase, probably more time than the difference between it and hunting for a bargain (though that is sometimes fun). If its a trusted seller that helps.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Saw those too. I do believe they are overpriced as well and ammo is not good but we all know what the surplus market is. Someone, a lot of someone’s are gonna pay that price and they will be gone. I’m still thinking about it myself. I am leaning towards no but mostly because I have a chance to grab a yugo sks for about 300 so I’m doing that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Spend the extra money and buy a VZ52/57 in 7.62x39. Yes, you will pay a premium but you can shoot a common round in the loading of your choosing and value will continue to rise (and at a quicker rate than the 7.62x45 version).

They are fine rifles and pleasant shooters. Comparing it to an SKS is like comparing a Honda Accord to a Ford pinto. Both work but one just does it sooo much better. As a caveat to that statement, the SKS is definitely the better rifle for war but we're only going to the range. In that context, the Czechnology in the VZ52 wins in every category every time.

P1070363.jpg

P1070364.jpg

P1070371.jpg

P1070365.jpg

P1070360.jpg

Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Spend the extra money and buy a VZ52/57 in 7.62x39. Yes, you will pay a premium but you can shoot a common round in the loading of your choosing and value will continue to rise (and at a quicker rate than the 7.62x45 version).

They are fine rifles and pleasant shooters. Comparing it to an SKS is like comparing a Honda Accord to a Ford pinto. But work but one just does is sooo much better. As a caveat to that statement, the SKS is definitely the better rifle for war but we're only going to the range. In that context, the Czechnology in the VZ52 wins in every category every time.

This! Pick one up in 7.62x39. Cheap easy to find ammo, and if you decide to sell it, it’s a easier sell.

If you’re into these” Transitional rifles” look into a Egyptian Hakim. LOTS OF FUN! Everyone at the range will wonder what you are shooting, and you will draw a crowd. 8mm Mauser with no recoil, due to the weight of this full sized battle rife, and easily the loudest rifle I own.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I have a beauty in 7.62 x45 I'll let go for $700. and I'll throw in some ammo in to sweeten the deal. I'll be at Frederick Sunday, if interested let me know and I'll bring it along.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    This! Pick one up in 7.62x39. Cheap easy to find ammo, and if you decide to sell it, it’s a easier sell.

If you’re into these” Transitional rifles” look into a Egyptian Hakim. LOTS OF FUN! Everyone at the range will wonder what you are shooting, and you will draw a crowd. 8mm Mauser with no recoil, due to the weight of this full sized battle rife, and easily the loudest rifle I own.

Heard great stuff about the Hakim, haven’t been able to find one. Need to get that on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a 52 and 52/57. Very cool rifles. $700 seems really steep. Looking at gunbroker there are finished auctions for well less. Could get a similar deal if you keep your eyes peeled (or setup a search).

You are right on the ammo. I bought a crate a little over a year ago and it was $0.50/Rd delivered. They still have it:
    https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifl...87&search_text=&per_row=20&sortBy=8&mode=list
    If you buy the rifle, might as well stock up on ammo. They;re never going to make it again;) If you get reloading dies, there are a couple different cases you can cut/reform to make work so can always shoot it even once the surplus runs out. FWIW, The 52 breaks down super easy for cleaning so corossive ammo is no big deal.

A decent 52/57 is going to run at LEAST $1200 and they seem to be going up fast. But you'll save that difference after just a crate of two of ammo so maybe worth splurging for.

x2 the Hakim is also a cool rifle. I too am drawn to the ultimate and penultimate semiauto rifles before the world went select fire.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn ! I though I was reasonably knowledgeable on this category , but the Vz 52 , 52/57 had escaped my radar , and now I want one .

In the universe of shooter milsurps , the sequence should be approached in the reverse . Pounce on the stacks of decent quality surplus ammo first , then find the gun to use it .

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Damn ! I though I was reasonably knowledgeable on this category , but the Vz 52 , 52/57 had escaped my radar , and now I want one .

In the universe of shooter milsurps , the sequence should be approached in the reverse . Pounce on the stacks of decent quality surplus ammo first , then find the gun to use it .

The problem is 7.62x45mm is very scarce, very corrosive, and to the best of my knowledge not produced anywhere. This is why most Vz.52 rifles languish the same as french 1935 pistols did for quite some time: Lack of Ammo. If there was a decent supply of non-corrosive ammo I would pick one up again. But, since there is not, I shall not.

Side note: I did fire one. It was already shot out. However, the recoil is pleasant with the 7.62x45. I'm honestly tempted to get a receiver and make a project out of fitting it for 7.62x39 myself if it's cheaper than the Vz.52/57 by enough.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    $700 seems a bit steep in IMHO. But you know me, I'm cheap and willing to pass up lots of decent examples to get that unicorn combination of what I want for what I want to pay. Sometimes life is too short to play that game.
    This is one of those items where you gotta kiss a lotta frogs to find the prince. So many of the Century imports are rough and not worth nearly as much. Occasionally you can find one of the Grenada bring-backs (see my older thread). They're out there and all that I've seen are in VG to excellent condition.
    But if this one tugs on your heart strings and it's a bucket list item then you could do worse.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    Perfect example......LOL. You guys need a new hobby :rolleyes::D:D

Attachments

• IMG_E4301.jpg
      IMG_E4301.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 486
    • IMG_E4302.jpg
      IMG_E4302.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 447
    • IMG_E4303.jpg
      IMG_E4303.jpg
      83.3 KB · Views: 455

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For anyone interested, Classic just dropped the price on the 7.62x45 version by $200 today. (now $499)

If I hadn't just ordered a M98/48 from OWS, I'd have jumped on it. Who knows, maybe they'll still be too expensive for most and hang around a bit longer.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Speaking of the VZ52, ammo I snagged back in Dec. finally arrived along with 1200 rounds of primed 7.5mm French brass. Good thing I snagged the ammo and brass so cheap because shipping certainly wasn't!

Attachments

• IMGP8959.JPG
      IMGP8959.JPG
      33.7 KB · Views: 371
    • IMGP8960.JPG
      IMGP8960.JPG
      52.9 KB · Views: 369

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Im contemplating a VZ52 as well. Classic Firearms has had them but not VZ52/57s. VZ52/57 models are hard to come by. VZ52s are much more common. But then the 7.62x45 ammo is hard to come by. 7.62x45 seems like a cool round being more powerful than 7.62x39.

Does anybody think any of the ammo manufactures will start producing this round? I know Prvi Partizen makes a lot of the obsolete calibers in new production ammo INCLUDING 7.92 Kurz for the STG 44. Then calibers line the Carcano and others. Surprised they wouldnt pick this up. Hate to rely on a surplus ammo stockpile for ammo. Once thats gone then you cant buy the ammo. Unless you reload it. And with a semi-automatic rifle you are going to go through a lot more ammo than a bolt-action.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Wish I had a fully functional crystal ball. Who knows if anyone will pick up this cartridge. There's always hope. Those of us with French 1935a and 1935s pistols kept hearing rumors that Starline was going to produce brass for the French 7.65 Longue cartridge. But after a dozen years of this I personally gave up hope. Then another collector opened his wallet and gave Starline a cash infusion to jump-start the project. Now we can shoot those sweet little autos. Can only pray that the cool VZ52 gets some loving from a brass or ammo manufacturer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom