ATF moving to ban pistol braces (again)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Only when he needs votes... Talks a lot of shit and then flushes.:sad20::tdown:

I couldn’t agree more. If this is a thing (just a rumor atm) his supporters will largely ignore it and/or attempt to justify it by saying he’s still “better than any democrats” on guns (despite the fact that Obama has a better 2A record than Trump).

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I believe I like all the above posts.
    ATF, do your job.
    Letters to Congress, defund ATF since they can not figure out tech that processes applications faster .... and they have that tech! As well as review their legislative aspirations of late. “Rogue”?
    ATF balls are bigger given SCOTUS seems to be in lockstep.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I couldn’t agree more. If this is a thing (just a rumor atm) his supporters will largely ignore it and/or attempt to justify it by saying he’s still “better than any democrats” on guns (despite the fact that Obama has a better 2A record than Trump).

I haven't hear many commenters on MDS (or anywhere else) discuss Obamas 2A achievements. Would you mind sharing some? I'm starting to wonder if I need to expand my information sources?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Why won't he mention what brand and model of brace? That's more helpful to people than being vague.

I just looked on a You Tube video from the last day or two, and the conjecture is (emphasis added on conjecture) that the ATF is only talking about one brace and it might be the SBA3. This was only speculation.
    Why the SBA3, I wouldn't know.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I just looked on a You Tube video from the last day or two, and the conjecture is (emphasis added on conjecture) that the ATF is only talking about one brace and it might be the SBA3. This was only speculation.
    Why the SBA3, I wouldn't know.

My guess is that it's on a milspec buffer tube and to my knowledge, the others aren't.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    My guess is that it's on a milspec buffer tube and to my knowledge, the others aren't.

Isn't the buffer tube mainly provided for new builds? I believe you can install the SBA3 brace on an existing buffer tube.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

The SBA4 brace is also on a mil spec carbine buffer tube and pretty objectively more sturdy than the SBA3. I ended up putting some SB tactical "LOP Limiters" to keep the "LOP" under 13.5 as per some of the recent ATF cases...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    KAK and MagPul also make braces that use standard carbine receiver extensions.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what their "justification" is if they change their position on these.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Isn't the buffer tube mainly provided for new builds? I believe you can install the SBA3 brace on an existing buffer tube.

Yes, but many of the earlier generations the buffer tube was not mil-spec and wouldn't accept a mil spec stock. That was only a guess though.

The SBA4 brace is also on a mil spec carbine buffer tube and pretty objectively more sturdy than the SBA3. I ended up putting some SB tactical "LOP Limiters" to keep the "LOP" under 13.5 as per some of the recent ATF cases...

This is where my theory is debunked.

Perhaps it is the LoP that's the issue with SBA3 ( ? ) which is more of a question than an answer.

It's hard to keep up with all of this.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    KAK and MagPul also make braces that use standard carbine receiver extensions.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what their "justification" is if they change their position on these.

I just read where the Magpul BSL is compatible with Mil-Spec carbine receiver extensions.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Stupid question, but if banned does that only affect use on "Pistols" or would also not be allowed for use on a Carbine/Rifle sized AR?

Not that anyone would really necessarily want to, just curious.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I haven't hear many commenters on MDS (or anywhere else) discuss Obamas 2A achievements. Would you mind sharing some? I'm starting to wonder if I need to expand my information sources?

I think it is more a comparison of failures than a track record of success with either of them.

The thing is, Obama could be expected to be anti-2a, as a dimocrat.

meanwhile the "pro-2a" president does this:

"take the guns first, go through due process second"

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...-the-guns-first-go-through-due-process-second

and this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/P7Ncracrmrvfn2mu8

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    As per my earlier statement, am I right that the SBA3 brace doesn't have to use the buffer tube that SB Tactical provides? If one already has a milspec buffer tube on one's lower, can't that be used?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I believe I like all the above posts.
    ATF, do your job.
    Letters to Congress, defund ATF since they can not figure out tech that processes applications faster .... and they have that tech! As well as review their legislative aspirations of late. “Rogue”?
    ATF balls are bigger given SCOTUS seems to be in lockstep.

Defunding then leaves us with no legal way to buy NFA items. Eventually someone would get around to investigating that. And likely no FFL is going to sell you an NFA item if ATF can’t process the form and approval.

NFA/Hughs has been tested with “but how can the government punish you for not paying a tax they refuse to collect”?

I doubt “aren’t able to collect” would end much better for the people who’d test that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom