• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigstacks

Feb 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Who is a good insurer for a gun collection? I am not sure if i should add a policy with my home owners or is there some other company you recommend? Who do you use?

Jul 1, 2012
    https://collectinsure.com/what-we-insure/guns-knives-accessories

Most home owner policies require you to report serial numbers for anything beyond the basic coverage, which is usually pretty weak.
    This company does not, although you need to list make/model (but not S/N) for any item worth over a certain (hefty) amount.
    The policies usually cover shipping and transport too, like sending to a gunsmith or moving the collection.
    A lot of collector/dealers use them.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm curious if, hypothetically, firearm "x" in my collection were to be "banned to possess" would any policy pay off ?

I've never seen a policy that didn't exclude "Force Majeure" losses such as takings or, um, lawful, seizures. Imagine the massive spikes in simultaneous claims with every law change; it'd drive the insurer out of business.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I've never seen a policy that didn't exclude "Force Majeure" losses such as takings or, um, lawful, seizures. Imagine the massive spikes in simultaneous claims with every law change; it'd drive the insurer out of business.

What if the Government subpoena's insurers for the serial numbers to confiscate them?

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    What if the Government subpoena's insurers for the serial numbers to confiscate them?

From their website:

Less paperwork and appraisal expense - Unlike homeowners insurance, we do not require you to inventory every item in your collection separately or pay to have them appraised. Only individual items or sets valued at $25,000 or more will need to be scheduled. And no serial numbers are required to insure your collection. You are, however, responsible for maintaining records of your collection for insurance purposes.

DigDug

Oct 21, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Most home owner policies require you to report serial numbers for anything beyond the basic coverage, which is usually pretty weak.
    This company does not, although you need to list make/model (but not S/N) for any item worth over a certain (hefty) amount.
    The policies usually cover shipping and transport too, like sending to a gunsmith or moving the collection.

I use this company as well and was very impressed with their coverage and their prices. I had previously been using the NRA endorsed ArmsCarePlus but it was frankly getting too expensive and the coverage wasn't any better. Using my home owners insurance was a complete non starter primarily due to expense.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    I use this company as well and was very impressed with their coverage and their prices. I had previously been using the NRA endorsed ArmsCarePlus but it was frankly getting too expensive and the coverage wasn't any better. Using my home owners insurance was a complete non starter primarily due to expense.

Same here, they have been great to work with, and even with items that need an appraisal they didn't have an issue.

Bigstacks

Feb 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I have check with both of those today thanks for the replies. Gunandtrophy is cheaper but you know how that goes. Skeetshooter do you know anyone thats had a claim with them? How where they on the claim?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I have check with both of those today thanks for the replies. Gunandtrophy is cheaper but you know how that goes. Skeetshooter do you know anyone thats had a claim with them? How where they on the claim?

Not personally. But a number of guys on the trapshooting forum have and there were no issues. I have not heard of one complaint about them. I remember reading that if the gun is stolen out of the car the car must show damage from the theft to be covered. In other words the car must be locked. I know there are ways to break into cars without damaging them so I don’t know if that would be covered. I don’t leave my guns in the car so I don’t worry about it.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia

I use them too. Never had to submit a claim but I’ve always found their customer service pleasant and responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom