• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    So, does this mean them at if I am going to a bad part of town I can carry the weapon?

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Black Weapons Matter

Attachments

• 20201018_093018.jpg
      20201018_093018.jpg
      113.7 KB · Views: 274

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Why not post more information?

Like:

Support a local Virginia business and go to Vienna Armory if you want an auto knife (perfectly legal for Maryland residents to do so).

Place is loaded with Microtechs. It's odd too to drive ~20 minutes and enter a shop with AK's stocked up on a wall.
    They special ordered some magazines not sold anywhere in Maryland (legitimately) at very good price (cheaper than expo gun show)

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Why not post more information?

Like:

Support a local Virginia business and go to Vienna Armory if you want an auto knife (perfectly legal for Maryland residents to do so).

Sorry bud, I didn’t know of any off hand. As far ad I know auto knives are even illegal to possess in Virginia, but West Virginia green lights everything.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , a Butterfly knife folds into the handle , and would be considered as a regular Folding Knife .

However , if it were double edged , it could be considered " Dirk or Dagger " .

Virginia's knife statute has language to the effect of " primarily designed as fighting knife " , rather than construction or operation per se . Yes , as ambiguous as mud .

I didn't realize the subtlety at the time , I once had a VSP Trooper ask me " Is that a Bowie Knife on your belt ? " . To which I truthfully replied " I dunno what it would be called . I've been using it to clear brush on my property ."

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You can only carry a "switchblade" if you have a MD concealed carry permit.

Wear and Carry permit covers auto knives concealed. If you have no permit, carry auto knife in view.

Here, this is from the Maryland General Assembly's official government website, where the most current laws are kept as well as bills:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Laws/StatuteText?article=gcr&section=4-101&enactments=true

Scroll down to part (b) and then paragraph (3) after that.

That is state law as written and is as official as your going to get. Your letter from MSP should be considered in context: Yes, the permit only covers handguns. But the law says, as a holder of the permit, you are exempt from 4-101's prohibitions.

Are there any tests cases or official words from anyone about this? I read the statute, and I read it the same way you all are reading it, but I'm not an attorney, and this is Maryland. Only reason I haven't been carrying an OTF is because I thought it wasn't allowed and MSP told me no (I do have a W&C)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are there any tests cases or official words from anyone about this? I read the statute, and I read it the same way you all are reading it, but I'm not an attorney, and this is Maryland. Only reason I haven't been carrying an OTF is because I thought it wasn't allowed and MSP told me no (I do have a W&C)

I’ve been carrying a Spyderco Autonomy 2 for months. So far, no arrests.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    We missed out on the Star Wars line that was released a few years ago. Now they're commanding crazy prices. There was the Dark Lord (Red blade black handle), Jedi Knight (blue blade black handle) and Jedi Master (green blade black handle). Really cool. Has the Jedi Order symbol on the clip.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Ultratech-Jedi-Knight-OTF--35745

Pretty rad.

But, they still do release bounty hunter versions of the UTX-85 and Ultratech from time to time, which I think look the coolest anyway.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We missed out on the Star Wars line that was released a few years ago. Now they're commanding crazy prices. There was the Dark Lord (Red blade black handle), Jedi Knight (blue blade black handle) and Jedi Master (green blade black handle). Really cool. Has the Jedi Order symbol on the clip.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Ultratech-Jedi-Knight-OTF--35745

Pretty rad.

But, they still do release bounty hunter versions of the UTX-85 and Ultratech from time to time, which I think look the coolest anyway.
    I had no idea!!!! Damn.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    That bounty hunter is badass! I've been thinking about building an AR pistol/rifle pair that are Boba/Jango Fett colored and animal skull on magazines. Now I need to get notified when the auto bounty hunter is in stock.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    That bounty hunter is badass! I've been thinking about building an AR pistol/rifle pair that are Boba/Jango Fett colored and animal skull on magazines. Now I need to get notified when the auto bounty hunter is in stock.

Or join the Microtech Facebook groups and buy one at secondary pricing.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

I have always found it sad that one has to pay an attorney (test case) to have the laws they have written deciphered. Who writes these bills? Attorneys?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I have always found it sad that one has to pay an attorney (test case) to have the laws they have written deciphered. Who writes these bills? Attorneys?

It is sad. But coming from a layperson, that statute is abundantly clear. It doesn't apply to people with carry permits. I just didn't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom