• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am going to have my 5.56 military brass converted to .300 Blackout commercially. If I get it done in bulk, I can have it converted, swaged, cleaned and sized for pretty cheap- which is way better than doing it myself. Bulk is the key and I only have 6-700 pieces of LC 5.56 brass.
    Who wants to supply me 1000 pieces of once fired LC dirty brass to receive 500 pieces of fully processed .300AAC/.300 Blackout in return?
    Bonus points if we know each other.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From a guy who has laid millions of square feet of tile, one foot at a time, I'll get by...

:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am going to have my 5.56 military brass converted to .300 Blackout commercially. If I get it done in bulk, I can have it converted, swaged, cleaned and sized for pretty cheap- which is way better than doing it myself. Bulk is the key and I only have 6-700 pieces of LC 5.56 brass.
    Who wants to supply me 1000 pieces of once fired LC dirty brass to receive 500 pieces of fully processed .300AAC/.300 Blackout in return?
    Bonus points if we know each other.

You can use end-of-life LC, you cut off the neck. I can convert your brass for 75% of what they charge. ;)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    SG (We've met at Welders bourbon nights a couple times.) I have at least one full 5 gal bucket of once fired 5.56 brass. Quick internet search says that's about 3700 cases and 50#. No idea how much is LC. Could spare 1000 out of that. How critical is the head stamp?

SG (We've met at Welders bourbon nights a couple times.) I have at least one full 5 gal bucket of once fired 5.56 brass. Quick internet search says that's about 3700 cases and 50#. No idea how much is LC. Could spare 1000 out of that. How critical is the head stamp?

I know LC headstamp is the gold standard of 5.56 brass and is excellent for converting to .300AAC/Blackout. Other headstamps have thick case walls and can't properly chamber when converted to .300AAC/Blackout.
    Grab a handful of 40-50 pieces and see how many aren't LC.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Of the 5K+ NATO rounds I've converted, I've only found one headstamp that had thick necks that wouldn't allow bullet seating. (AMA)
    All have generous temper and never had any split necks with no additional tempering.

While I wouldn't consider it "relaxing" like teratos, I do find I can batch the process fairly easily doing a few hundred at a time. Getting
    a SwageIT for the Dillon 650 is the next step to making 300BO brass process more "relaxing" for me..

I have about 3gal of NATO headstamped brass separated out again, after my last processing batch of 5gal. If other offers don't
    pan out, I could most likely offer it up for the cause.

Of the 5K+ NATO rounds I've converted, I've only found one headstamp that had thick necks that wouldn't allow bullet seating. (AMA)
    All have generous temper and never had any split necks with no additional tempering.

While I wouldn't consider it "relaxing" like teratos, I do find I can batch the process fairly easily doing a few hundred at a time. Getting
    a SwageIT for the Dillon 650 is the next step to making 300BO brass process more "relaxing" for me..

I have about 3gal of NATO headstamped brass separated out again, after my last processing batch of 5gal. If other offers don't
    pan out, I could most likely offer it up for the cause.

Thanks.
    I'm still sitting on .38/.357 dies for you.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've heard of more issues with split necks vs bulging. I haven't spent a ton of time working up a load for .300, but I do anneal after every firing to help with the split neck issue that some have reported(after 4-6 firings).

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Have you had any issues with bulging case necks?

Bulging is usually a result of neck thickness. There's a sticky on the 300bo forum with good/bad/maybe brass headstamps.
    (http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88599)

Splitting is usually a result of the neck tempering not going deep enough and the harder/brittle brass will split after a few uses.

NATO brass is considered the best because it has adequate neck thickness for strength, but not so much as to cause bulging. It also (by MilSpec) has a generous temper that still exists on the 300bo neck even after cutting.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    200 LC 556 cases cleaned, just sold for $55 in a FB auction group I follow. (300 BD Gavel). Yes, “BD”.
    I’m not sure if my hands could handle converting another 1K, I use a 12” chop saw and a jig to shorten 6 at a time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    200 LC 556 cases cleaned, just sold for $55 in a FB auction group I follow. (300 BD Gavel). Yes, “BD”.
    I’m not sure if my hands could handle converting another 1K, I use a 12” chop saw and a jig to shorten 6 at a time.
    Love to see the jig.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Love to see the jig.

I may have tossed it, simply a board with holes (chambers) drilled through. I forget the hole size but they fail the plunk test then push them in, they are snug and protrude (I was pleasantly surprised), blade rides on the wood so there is very little wobble (blade stiffeners on all my saws). I place the board to the fence and a stop block ... chop chop.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Zep jig ($35) https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig_.html. with the Harbor Freight mini-saw. ($37)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

Watch the 11-year old in the Zep video (https://www.zepreloading.com/video-of-jig-in-action.html) , I'm a little slower than that, but still
    managed to cut 5gal of NATO brass over a 2-day period ;)

I cut about 10K before the HF saw started acting wonky (slowing down, losing TQ) so just picked up another to remount the ZEP
    onto for whenever the next batch gets done.

I also have processed a bunch of PSD 5.56 brass when NATO supplies gets thin. It also has a generous temper and is my #2 goto
    after NATO.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Zep jig ($35) https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig_.html. with the Harbor Freight mini-saw. ($37)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

Watch the 11-year old in the Zep video (https://www.zepreloading.com/video-of-jig-in-action.html) , I'm a little slower than that, but still
    managed to cut 5gal of NATO brass over a 2-day period ;)

I cut about 10K before the HF saw started acting wonky (slowing down, losing TQ) so just picked up another to remount the ZEP
    onto for whenever the next batch gets done.

I also have processed a bunch of PSD 5.56 brass when NATO supplies gets thin. It also has a generous temper and is my #2 goto
    after NATO.
    I like that! Way better than the cheesy plastic one I bought with the saw.

Now...to find me an 11 year old...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom