• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    There's one with a 24 inch octagon barrel around here that I'm sure I'm going to buy tomorrow. Any opinions on this firearm?

Will post a reports and pics soon.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I’ve got a Miroku Winchester 1873 short rifle in 44-40. Very nice rifle. If you like it, get it.

Personally, I too think a 24 in octagonal barrel in .357 might be a bit heavy for what it is. Only you can decide.

Personally, I like 92s in .357.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I’ve got a Miroku Winchester 1873 short rifle in 44-40. Very nice rifle. If you like it, get it.

Personally, I too think a 24 in octagonal barrel in .357 might be a bit heavy for what it is. Only you can decide.

Picked it up today but haven't shot it yet.

Yeah, it is kinda hefty but I think it'll help with hunting to get more velocity.

I also have a Rossi 92 .357 in the short rifle version.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Picked it up today but haven't shot it yet.

Yeah, it is kinda hefty but I think it'll help with hunting to get more velocity.

I also have a Rossi 92 .357 in the short rifle version.

Nice! Sometimes you just have to jump on it. Those Winchesters aren’t out there in volume at the moment like everything else.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

My Rossi 92 looks tiny compared to the Winchester 1873.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot the 1873 today. I have a couple of questions:

the shots were all about a foot high. I try to aim using the top of the buckhorn lined up with the top of the bead and put the bulls-eye right above that. I moved the rear sight up and down and the shots were still in the same area. Do I need to get a different (shorter) front sight?

I'm trying to use the 140 gr. Hornady FTX bullets with a next to heaviest load of Accurate #9 powder (per the Hornady manual). Is this load too strong to use in the Winchester 1873?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    When using a buck horn sight, you should be putting the front sight bead in the internal notch not on the upper sides. That is why you are shooting high.

Ya think? I sight my Winchester 94 my way and can hit a bulls-eye at 50 yards.

I'll try it your way tomorrow.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    To add to what John said, you would want to lower your rear sight to lower your point of impact.

Regarding your front sight, if after these suggestions you need point of impact lower still? You'd need to order a taller front sight, not a shorter one, should you need to lower point of impact further still.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I can’t comment on that load but the rifle is probably regulated for a something like a 158 gr .357 at 1200-1300 FPS (speed out of a pistol).

If you have a load you want to use and can’t get there, the front sight is a Marbles so you should be able to get one of a different height if you wanted to keep the same look.

Or something like a Skinner front ramp and file it down to where you want.

Other option is that rifle is drilled and tapped for a tang sight. Could give you more options but would probably still need a taller front sight if it’s shooting way high.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    You guys were right on with that advice on sighting with buckhorn sights. Now I think I'm good out 100 yards! Thanks!

I think I'll have to paint the circle on the front sight though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom