• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Isn't that the Special License that allows you to transport military grade weapons without a Labrador Retriever in your car?
    The very same!

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    They're swamped with W&C, so I imagine collector status applications are slightly lower priority. If you have a HQL, it is usually just a couple of weeks, maybe a little longer right now with the combination of holidays and W&C backlog.

Sorry to be bumping an old thread (but you guys are so...:)), I just don't see the point in making a new one if this one has current replies.

Few questions. MSP website says you get a letter, but some have posted they get an email? Which is it and is there any way to verify on MSP website when logged in that you are currently a collector?

So fill out the form, get notarized, mail in and wait? Am I missing anything?

Also, MSP says you can only buy 2 firearms from a store at once, but doesn't specify how many you can get in an estate sale. Is there a limit on private / estate sales?

Thanks all!!!

Acratophorus

May 30, 2023
    Montgomery County
    I recently got mine done and received only a physical copy in the mail without any other electronic notice - email, website, or otherwise. The 77R portal doesn't have an indicator for Collector's status that I can see.

As to the process of getting it, you're spot on. The only thing I'd add is it has to happen after you have at least one 77R processed. Based on some threads I've found, typically the approval process takes about the 30 days you'd have to wait to purchase your second handgun but after that it's smooth(er) sailing.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    I recently got mine done and received only a physical copy in the mail without any other electronic notice - email, website, or otherwise. The 77R portal doesn't have an indicator for Collector's status that I can see.

As to the process of getting it, you're spot on. The only thing I'd add is it has to happen after you have at least one 77R processed. Based on some threads I've found, typically the approval process takes about the 30 days you'd have to wait to purchase your second handgun but after that it's smooth(er) sailing.
    Thanks!

I saw some people post that they got an email?

It doesn't surprise me, but it seems stupid for there not to be a place you can verify on MSP website.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sorry to be bumping an old thread (but you guys are so...:)), I just don't see the point in making a new one if this one has current replies.

Few questions. MSP website says you get a letter, but some have posted they get an email? Which is it and is there any way to verify on MSP website when logged in that you are currently a collector?

Also, MSP says you can only buy 2 firearms from a store at once, but doesn't specify how many you can get in an estate sale. Is there a limit on private / estate sales?

Thanks all!!!
    2 no matter what without the collectors letter. The way the law is written, 2 at a time, and then a 60 day wait is ONLY supposed to be for things like special sales, collections, estate sales, auctions, and consecutive serial guns. Basically special reasons you are buying two at once. Otherwise it is supposed to be 1 at a time, and then wait 30 days.

But MSP has effectively interpreted this as 2 at once and then 60 day wait is fine.

Now, you CAN buy as many handguns as you want at once. But the FFL can only transfer 1 per 30 or 2 and then 60. Without the letter that is. I am aware some FFLs have done this and are okay holding the others for transfer. I'd imagine most that have to hold guns for a couple of months (or more) are probably going to charge you a little extra.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    2 no matter what without the collectors letter. The way the law is written, 2 at a time, and then a 60 day wait is ONLY supposed to be for things like special sales, collections, estate sales, auctions, and consecutive serial guns. Basically special reasons you are buying two at once. Otherwise it is supposed to be 1 at a time, and then wait 30 days.

But MSP has effectively interpreted this as 2 at once and then 60 day wait is fine.

Now, you CAN buy as many handguns as you want at once. But the FFL can only transfer 1 per 30 or 2 and then 60. Without the letter that is. I am aware some FFLs have done this and are okay holding the others for transfer. I'd imagine most that have to hold guns for a couple of months (or more) are probably going to charge you a little extra.
    So do I understand it correctly as with the letter you can buy as many as you want but still have to wait 7 days for hand guns?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Thanks all!!!

Firstly , the DCL only applies to Regulated Firearms . Currently this only means Handguns .

Since 1996 , all sales/ transfers of Regulated Firearms must be done through a Dealer. ( Yeah , yeah , 003 C&R and intersate commerce , but keeping horses , not zebras here .)

Rifles & Shotguns are not subject to one per month . But must be done at FFL w/ a 4473 ( with narrow exceptions ) .

Yes , applying really is that simple . By statute , MSP has up to 30 days . Actually varies , and not logically or consistently .

As to notification , MSP does what MSP does that day . At times a physical letter , at times an e-mail ..Usually you could subsequently request a duplicate letter .

If 30 days pass or are close , call the MSP Licensing Division , and the nice lady will let you know the status .

Sometimes the DC status will auto fill on online 77R , but if not , just click the box .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So do I understand it correctly as with the letter you can buy as many as you want but still have to wait 7 days for hand guns?

Yes !

The DCL only effects the one per 30 day rule . The 77R and 7days still apply as usual .

Even more than raw numbers , the DCL helps with timing . As in , I used to always run accross something interesting I'd been looking for , the week after starting the previous one . The two at once , wait 60 days only applies to two in the same transaction .

( Historical Footnote - In the days of snail mail , it was two from same dealer , on same day . i.e. come back later in same day for an additional one that cought your eye in the dealer case . But with online , it's same transaction .

To really blow y'alls minds , there used to be Continuation Sheets pre '96 . )

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Even though the collector's letter removed limitations on the number of fire a Mrs you can purchase at a time, I seem to recall that if you get m ore than two there's a federal notigication involved.

I don't.know if this is correct.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Even though the collector's letter removed limitations on the number of fire a Mrs you can purchase at a time, I seem to recall that if you get m ore than two there's a federal notigication involved.

I don't.know if this is correct.
    Yes. And actually I think it is two or more handguns in a week or maybe it’s per transaction the FFL has to notify the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom