Projects that have been more of a pain than you thought they would?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I was reminded last night that when you "rescue" a firearm that sometimes things do not go as easily as they should seem to. The repro grips for my Dura-Matic M100 came in from the only place I could find them (a gun parts dealer on eBay) only to discover that the grip bolt hole was completely off-center and someone had previously tried to re-straighten it with disastrous results.

I've got a message in to the seller explaining that these definitely aren't "new" and definitely aren't up to snuff for the price I paid. Problem is, it's pretty hard to find the grips for this gun as they are one-piece and act as the mag well. Seems like I'm going to have to epoxy the old grips the best I can and wait for a set of used OEM grips to come up at some point. Not the biggest struggle with a "project" I've run across, but still frustrating.

I figured it was going to be a couple of small parts (locking nut ball bearing, a retaining spring, and some new grips) that were available, but it appears it's going to be a bit longer before I get this thing back into shape.

I was just curious as to what "harder than it should be" or "took longer than it should have" projects you guys have run up against in the collecting world?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    My skills and knowledge are subpar with regards to restoration projects.
    I even botched something as simple as replacing a bubba'd stock on an 03A3 with another bubba'd stock on Ebay because I didn't look at the pictures hard enough to notice the notch out someone had put in the stock for a sniper rifle project..... :o
    Got the rifle at a good price, but in hindsight, by the time I got another stock and some barrel bands, I could have just bought a complete unbubba'd rifle to begin with, which I later did. Now I have two, which isn't a bad thing. :D

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Bought a Yugo M59 (not an M59/66) sks with the wrong butt plate and top cover. Turns out correctly marked parts for the rifle are rarer than the rifles themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom