• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Finally got the new grips in for my Duramatic the other day. OEM Bakelite. Anyone here have a good cleaner they'd recommend for Bakelite? Need to clean up the checkering on these things. I've seen plenty of suggestions via Google, but they vary so much I'd rather have someone with practical experience give me some pointers. Thanks in advance!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe try some Flitz or sinichrome polish on a soft rag.
    When I think of bakelight it reminds me of early black plastic so anything with petroleum may be more harmful than good.
    Have to be careful In thinking so they don’t become hazey. Somebody will know.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Toothpaste and a soft toothbrush.

This above. Don't use Flitz or other abrasives as they may dull the finish. Watered down rubbing compound, mixed with tooth paste will also work but be careful. Only use a soft tooth brush and do not use a cotton cloth.

Jul 1, 2012
    I usually start with a soft toothbrush, slightly warm water, and liquid dishsoap.
    I've never tried toothpaste but sounds like it would work.
    Hot water, chemicals, etc can change the color (e.g. from black to brown) depending on the compounds in the grips - so can direct sunlight.
    That's a real concern on the old Colt hard rubber grips like found on the early Model M (hammerless) etc.

I'd test the process on the back side of the grips first, or better yet a set of broken/damaged grips.
    If you have patience, and depending how "loaded up" the checkering is, you might wind up using a toothpick or plastic dental pick to help dig out the goop first.

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffing wheel and/or pumice won't work for checkered grips.
    Bakelite is too fragile to be messing around with anything but careful "by hand" methods...
    the edges especially are prone to chipping and cracking, and you have to be careful when tightening the grip screws.... only finger tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom