Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 9th, 2020, 09:19 PM #1

Bambi whacking thread 2020-2021

Canít find one for this season. Did I miss it? Or am I starting it?

A day and a night and first day of deer season is upon us.

Finally got my blind out. Check game cameras pictures this morning. Been getting a lot of deer in my meadow. Very few bucks though.

Looks like itíll be mostly does again this year.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2020, 09:21 PM #2
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

I've got my eyes on a beautiful 12 point that's been feeding behind my house. Last saw him 4 days ago... was still in velvet.
Doctor_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2020, 09:27 PM #3

I think we both hit "go" at the same time, so now there is a duplicate thread. Oops - do we have Mods that can delete my other thread?

Who else is excited for archery opener?

I've done my grumbling about not getting into the WMAs I had scouted, but have moved past into excitement for trying some new land. Gave me the push to start figuring out some new spots via e-scouting, so that is kinda fun.

Having never taken an archery deer, pretty much anything that isn't a button buck or a fawn is fair game for me at this point, if I get close enough. My goal is to get where I've got some meat in the freezer, and then start figuring out how to set the bar higher.

Good luck.

What about the rest of ya?

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk
carltuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2020, 09:44 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltuesday View Post
I think we both hit "go" at the same time, so now there is a duplicate thread. Oops - do we have Mods that can delete my other thread?

Who else is excited for archery opener?

I've done my grumbling about not getting into the WMAs I had scouted, but have moved past into excitement for trying some new land. Gave me the push to start figuring out some new spots via e-scouting, so that is kinda fun.

Having never taken an archery deer, pretty much anything that isn't a button buck or a fawn is fair game for me at this point, if I get close enough. My goal is to get where I've got some meat in the freezer, and then start figuring out how to set the bar higher.

Good luck.

What about the rest of ya?

Sent from my Google Pixel Slate using Tapatalk
I hear you. Last year was my real experimenting year. First year with my new place. 4.4 acres rural residential. The neighbors are either excited or okay (depending on who I had talked to) about me archery hunting deer on the property. After a year Iíve got a good feel for when and where they are. Their paths, etc.

New crossbow this year. Got it for black Friday last year, but then didnít take any deer after early November.

I am planning/hoping to take a couple deer in September and then cool my heels till early muzzleloader and hunt public land then. Saving one for the rut this year. Plan to try for 4. But I might go more. I have several friends whoíd really like one for their freezer. So who knows what Iíll end up with. I might have shite luck.

I am hoping for one around the rut when itís cooler as Iíd like to butcher one myself this year. And Iíd rather do my first one when itís cooler and I am less worried about time
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2020, 10:00 PM #5

Looking forward to this year. Last year I was so busy I barely got out. This year the herd needs thinned out badly the corn crop has been demolished!
Old September 10th, 2020, 08:43 AM #6
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I am hoping for one around the rut when it’s cooler as I’d like to butcher one myself this year. And I’d rather do my first one when it’s cooler and I am less worried about time
We built a deer cooler and I got all the plans for that if you wan to build one. We hang them in it for the night and next day and then out into the truck and home. Its is at my buddies and its where we hunt mostly. Then hang and split and into meat lugs in the basement fridge. Then trim, grind and seal what you want. It is a lot of work, but I think I get better venison and I know what I have, how it was handled and packaged.

You need a good vacuum sealer or to take your time with the cheaper ones. You don;t need a great grinder unless you plan to make sausages. I went expensive as i make 20# of snack sticks or summer sausage at a time and got the mixer also.

We are hunting at the bottom of Greenbriar state park on private land they want thinned. Our friend, the lady told me to kill the fawns too, She's had it with the deer. We are definitely killing every adult deer we see and making jerky with them. We might hope she doesn't complain when all the big ones are gone and save the fawns for next years jerky.

My daughter is amped and will likely start killing at the latter place and I'll be in the butcher and Jerky shop for part of September.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2020, 09:50 PM #7

What's the rub on here with killing fawns? I killed one last year because I wanted a small one to try butchering a deer myself without being too overwhelmed. It was perfect. I would kill another fawn in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Ecestu; September 10th, 2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2020, 11:10 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecestu View Post
What's the rub on here with killing fawns? I killed one last year because I wanted a small one to try butchering a deer myself without being too overwhelmed. It was perfect. I would kill another fawn in a heartbeat.
My personal reason is that I rarely see them alone... Usually something bigger comes next!

And congrats on doing your own butchering. it's work, but I really like knowing where everything came from and where it ends up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
carltuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2020, 11:27 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltuesday View Post
My personal reason is that I rarely see them alone... Usually something bigger comes next!

And congrats on doing your own butchering. it's work, but I really like knowing where everything came from and where it ends up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'll never take it to the butchers again, unless I'm killing deer for someone else. Squirrel season opened up last weekend, and after pressure cooking those little guys and tossing them in some honey BBQ sauce, I realized that I really miss hunting.

Good luck out there!
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 06:34 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecestu View Post
Great eating and good practice. We had a few commit suicide at a local hatchery. Tender critters for sure. Iíve passed on the young ones many times, but wonít begrudge your harvesting some tasty, tender veal. Also easier dragging. As we get older, and the hills seem to get steeper, thatís a big deal, getting myself, my gear, and a deer back to camp.

Love to butcher my own. Even a couple at a time. So, I just finally found a good gas fridge/freezer for camp, a Dometic RM760 that gets super cold. Not too big or small. Nice price, so it will pay for itself by the 2nd or 3rd deer I butcher myself. Iíve passed up a few early season deer because of not having refrigeration, and not wanting to take it to be processed, or sit in a cooler for days. Years ago we had a couple of the big old Servels but they died.

Of course now I wonít get out for a week or two due to an upcoming house sale. Too much to get done, and need it sold. But Iím sure when I get in and see the game cam pics of my area Iíll be ticked. I always have at least one nice buck the first day or two that I never see again. 🤣😫

Good luck everyone!
Abuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports