Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 11th, 2020, 06:58 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
You need a good vacuum sealer or to take your time with the cheaper ones. You don;t need a great grinder unless you plan to make sausages. I went expensive as i make 20# of snack sticks or summer sausage at a time and got the mixer also.
They are nice to have, but if you wrap it well in plastic wrap, and then in freezer paper, it will be fine at least a year in a freezer. We have had meat that was 2 years that was fine. Never like forgetting about meat that long, but itís happened. Always put a date on it so you know. Plus, it really helps to have the right freezer. A non self defrost freezer keeps the temp steady, not cycling it. That will really help long term storage.

Weíve had several grinders, from little table top, to a Hobart commercial model thatís a beast. That one is great for doing several deer. But the small ones are much easier to clean, and very handy to make small batches. Sometimes we will package meat to grind, but not grind it till itís used. It seems to help a bit with keeping the meat fresher by freezing bigger chunks rather than ground. Less air surface.
Abuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 08:25 AM #12

I second the vaccum sealer and non-defrosting freezer. We've had steaks/roasts that were sealed by the butcher still be perfectly fine several years after the animal was slaughtered (beef).
jtb81100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 09:54 AM #13

I'm currently on public land looking at a doe that just bedded down about 60 yards away. Can I cross my fingers any harder to will this damn deer this way when she gets up??
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:12 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuck View Post
I always have at least one nice buck the first day or two that I never see again. 🤣😫

Good luck everyone!
It's like someone's pranking you.
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:19 AM #15
Official Meat Getter

Official Meat Getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuck View Post
They are nice to have, but if you wrap it well in plastic wrap, and then in freezer paper, it will be fine at least a year in a freezer. We have had meat that was 2 years that was fine. Never like forgetting about meat that long, but itís happened. Always put a date on it so you know. Plus, it really helps to have the right freezer. A non self defrost freezer keeps the temp steady, not cycling it. That will really help long term storage.

Weíve had several grinders, from little table top, to a Hobart commercial model thatís a beast. That one is great for doing several deer. But the small ones are much easier to clean, and very handy to make small batches. Sometimes we will package meat to grind, but not grind it till itís used. It seems to help a bit with keeping the meat fresher by freezing bigger chunks rather than ground. Less air surface.
I stopped messing with vacuum sealers years ago. I burned up a bunch, they take forever to use and the bags are expensive. I've gone to the lunch lady sized plastic wrap from BJs and have no problems with meat two years old. Keep it in a non frost free freezer and you're good to go.
"Misanthrope? I don't hate my fellow man, even when he's tiresome and surly and tries to cheat at poker. I figure that's just a human material, and him that finds in it cause for anger and dismay is just a fool for expecting better." - Buster Scruggs

SMC
kstone803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:51 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecestu View Post
I'm currently on public land looking at a doe that just bedded down about 60 yards away. Can I cross my fingers any harder to will this damn deer this way when she gets up??
If she is still there,you might want to give a little bleat before you have to get down.Try to sound like a fawn.Turn to make the sound seem like its behind you.You never know
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 11:02 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrug View Post
If she is still there,you might want to give a little bleat before you have to get down.Try to sound like a fawn.Turn to make the sound seem like its behind you.You never know
Quote:
See, if you had some peanuts or acorns in your pocket, by dropping them you could observer her reaction and decide whether or not you could stalk closer.

Or, make her believe acorns are dropping and have her investigate the sound.

60 yards is pretty far for her to hear, and besides theirs probably another nearby that you cant see that would jump first.
Doco Overboard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 11:17 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
See, if you had some peanuts or acorns in your pocket, by dropping them you could observer her reaction and decide whether or not you could stalk closer.

Or, make her believe acorns are dropping and have her investigate the sound.

60 yards is pretty far for her to hear, and besides theirs probably another nearby that you cant see that would jump first.
Holy Jesus. It was a fawn....

Well, at least butchering the first deer of the season will be a breeze!
Old September 11th, 2020, 11:21 AM #19
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Holy Jesus. It was a fawn....

Well, at least butchering the first deer of the season will be a breeze!
Congratulations, youíre the first one on the board!

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:00 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
Congratulations, you’re the first one on the board!

My reward? The tenderest tenderloins ever!

I think it was a heart shot...

It gave one loud bleat, then gave up the ghost on the spot. I was hoping momma would show up after that, but no luck. And I had to get back to work. Lol.

Last edited by Ecestu; September 12th, 2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Grammar nazi

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports