• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Where are you all recommending buying blanks from to make a knife? I want to make a another skinning knife with a 3" blade. I have not found what i was looking for on a few sites. I like heavy drop points for skinning and breasting birds

Other choice is to get a flat bar stock of knife steel and cut/grind my own profile and heat treat it.

Thoughts?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some old school guys use old files or cut them out of old saw blades.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have old saw blades and made one out of a saw blade and it is too soft and won't hold its edge. I am thinking of buying some 1095 and designing a couple blanks and see which one(s) I like the best.

I made a hide flesher out of an old file and it works good and holds and edge. I just don't have any to get rid of right now.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I do not make knives but buy various parts @ knifekits.com, sorry, I cannot figure out how to link with this iPad , yet.

Click up in the URL box at the end of the URL, towards the right end. To highlight it, click again and a little pop up should appear. One of the options should be “select all”. Click that, then another little pop up will replace it and “copy” is one of the options. Copy the URL and then simply paste it into the text window you have open in the browser. You will need to swap back and forth between you open tabs, apps, windows, however you’re using it. BTW, the Apple stores have nice, free tutorials. We did one for our Apple watches, very useful.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have old saw blades and made one out of a saw blade and it is too soft and won't hold its edge. I am thinking of buying some 1095 and designing a couple blanks and see which one(s) I like the best.

I made a hide flesher out of an old file and it works good and holds and edge. I just don't have any to get rid of right now.
    Yeah I'm not a smith so I can't advise much here. I think the additional hardening or tempering(I know, two different things)comes in the reworking of the blank as you form it into its future state?
    I imagine you can buy blanks all ready for final grinding, shaping, and sharpening.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Yea, 1095 would make a good hunting knife to hold and edge. I think they saw blades of newer stuff are lower carbon to bend and not break. I can make broadheads from them but they loose edges to fats to be good knives. Broadhead only needs to cut for 14" to 16" before dulling in the dirt. ;)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    How about replacement lawn mower blades from Walmart? Should be hard enough, Might have a bit of grinding to do.

Never mind, Google fu says not hardenable above mid 40’s Rockwell.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Click up in the URL box at the end of the URL, towards the right end. To highlight it, click again and a little pop up should appear. One of the options should be “select all”. Click that, then another little pop up will replace it and “copy” is one of the options. Copy the URL and then simply paste it into the text window you have open in the browser. You will need to swap back and forth between you open tabs, apps, windows, however you’re using it. BTW, the Apple stores have nice, free tutorials. We did one for our Apple watches, very useful.

I thought I had to hyperlink this in the forum tools which gets covered by the options window after selecting the text I want to use to hyperlink to.

Last edited:

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I’ve used files, leaf springs and mower blades. One of the books I’ve read says mower blades are S7 or close for shock resistance. Old Files are W2 or similar. Leaf springs are 5160 or similar. Heat treat and tempering is fairly easy for simple steels

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Jarod Todd heat treating. www.jarodtodd.com
    He will cut a blank to your design, sketch or picture. Harden, temper, surface grind, pin holes cut, etc. I have used him before and you get a great product and great service. If you grind hardened steel, you have to go slow and keep it cool. I used an angle grinder for these with generous spray from a windex bottle with water after each pass.

nhIdhqx.jpg

pH7Clqu.jpg

vxCJDTY.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom