Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 25th, 2020, 02:10 PM #11

It will take you more time to put the gas in via a can than it would a pump. Besides here on the TN border I'm paying $1.93 a gallon I have little doubt you're paying considerably more.
JamesDong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:14 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
Yes, these are the beat cans you can buy. I have a few with the old style spouts which are no longer available.

https://lexingtoncontainercompanyson...-red-for-fuel/
You can still get the old nozzles! Last I saw real wavian(not garbage chinese ones) were on ebay for about $25 give or take. That reminds me, I think I need another!
Matt, the gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:20 PM #13

I have a Justrite Accuflow with the nozzle. The large nozzle size is larger than your "gas-hole" so get the smaller one. For plastic, the "No Spill" seems like a good can. Being rectangular, it would be a better packing fraction.

In for a jar of your shine.
+Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

+A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2020, 02:20 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDong View Post
It will take you more time to put the gas in via a can than it would a pump. Besides here on the TN border I'm paying $1.93 a gallon I have little doubt you're paying considerably more.
Now that Iím back, but I filled up for 1.89 once while I was out there. Gonna miss that.
gremlin42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:22 AM #15
Large Member

Large Member

Not a fan of the ones suggested

All of the cans suggested have both good and bad points.. The "safety cans" are a pain to fill and pour from..

I use Scepter or Supply Core USGI Jerry cans I've purchased from ebay (make sure they have good gaskets) and fill the truck with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have not stored them inside the cab - but have never known them to leak..

YMMV...
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:32 AM #16

I have both Wavian and Lexington cans. They are built in Europe and can be stored upright or on their side and they won't leak.

C3 for 2A

MSI, NRA and I vote!
Arcamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 11:16 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin42 View Post
Any recommendation for 5 gallon gas cans that seal tight for storage and a long trip in the back of a CRV so I won’t breathe in the fumes? Plan is to store four cans with stabilizer, which would be more than enough to get me back to middle TN without stopping at a gas station assuming I leave with a full tank. I guess I should make it 8 in case I need to do a complete fill at home in the middle of the night before I split.
Not to be an A-hole, but if you need to do a complete fill in the middle of the night before leaving you aren’t doing it right.

These days I don’t let the tank get under 1/2 and usually don’t under 3/4. That said, also working from home 100% right now so that is a bit easier to handle than having to hit a gas station every 3-4 days if I was commuting to work.

I have several brands. They mostly work fine. All seal well. Probably just replace the caps with the simple spout with cap you can find on Amazon. All the ones I’ve gotten work fine. As someone else mentioned, get a large funnel that’ll fit in your gas fill-up tube. If you need to be filling up with gas it’s going to be way fast to just take the spout/cap off the gas can and use the funnel to fill.

I have plastic 3x5.5 gallon cans, a couple of 2.5 gallon cans, a 1 gallon 50:1 can for 2-stroke engines and a 5.5 gallon jerry can. I rotate through it. As should you. I use stabilizer as well, but generally don’t need to. Really only an issue if it is going to sit more than 6 months.

Over the course of a lawn care season I can use all the cans. When I empty one, I fill it next time I go to the gas station and then rotate it to the back of the row of cans.

In your case if you don’t have a lot of mowing to do, just periodically fill your car/truck from the cans and then go refill them.

IMHO granted you drive what you drive, but it’s partly why I won’t get a big truck/SUV. Not just the cost of running it, but if I need to drive, say, 800 miles, in my car that takes about 20 gallons of gas if it’s all highway driving. My wife’s van that would be about 35 gallons. Big truck, that’s likely more like 50 gallons.

That said I am looking for something like an older Jeep Liberty as a utility vehicle for snow plowing, off-roading and hunting.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2020, 01:55 PM #18

Wavian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG6x_BoGqNY

Valpro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjY25s2lbA

I think these are the same company now. I purchased several under the Valpro label years ago and never had an issue. I even dropped one off a shelf, full, from a height of six feet. It barely scraped the paint.

www.roverparts.com has a pack of 4 for sale for $170

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-...-cans/GJC20K4/

I use Pri-G to stabilize. Have used year old gas with no issues or noticeable performance change.

Last edited by systemmaster; October 21st, 2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
systemmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2020, 05:36 PM #19

I think carrying that much fuel in portable cans is asking for trouble. As an alternative lots of trucks and SUVs have after market long range tanks and auxiliary fuel tanks available. These bring the overall capacity up to 60-100 gallons for $1-$2k. Smaller cars do not have the weight capacity to carry that much fuel.

That said you can not go wrong with the wavian cans and the shaker siphon. Well, except for the crazy covid prices on those cans right now. They went up higher in price than ammo.
geda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2020, 05:54 PM #20

I keep 50 gallons of gas in 5 gallon metal NATO cans and another 60 gallons in my boat. I have a transfer pump to access my boatís gas incase of emergency. For gas I am storing, I buy only ethanol free gas and add stabilizer. Between my gas equipment and automobiles I keep at least 135 gallons of gas on hand. I rotate my stock to keep it fresh. I live in Bel Air and buy ethanol free gas in Delta Pennsylvania at the Royal Farms on Route 165. Ethanol degrades gasoline over time.
ca18thc is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers