• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I'm sure several of you have gotten this license to help you with your own collections. It looks like a very simple process...a one page form and $30? Is that about it?

But then it says that it is 30-60 days to get it processed. Is there any way to speed up that part of the process?

And it keeps saying that you cannot use that license for doing business. Can anyone clarify what that means. They talk about buying for your own collection but does that mean that you can't sell and ship using your own FFL?

Jul 1, 2012
    - simple, one form + $30 - yup
    - speed up the process - nope
    - "not for business" just means you can't be buying and flipping for profit.
    You can sell off stuff to upgrade your collection, if you change focus, etc.

You do need to maintain a "bound book" of all your C&R acquisitions and dispositions while the FFL-03 is active.
    It's not hard, you just have to be diligent.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Get a FFL C&R 03 Lic is easy completed forms and send $30 then hurry up and wait 6-10 weeks give or take a few. When you get the License make a bunch of unsigned copies, keep the Original unsigned, if retired military get copies of your ID as will as your Drivers lic. many non C&R vendors give discounts to C&R/ 03 Lic holders and retired Mil. Many require Drivers lic to Internet/mail order ammo, C&R vendors require signed copy of your C&R Lic to ship to you, some will not honor it or ship to Maryland address. Read the stickys in the C & R Forum.
    NOTE : The FFL C&R/O3 is only good/used outside the state in which you live/address on the form, if you move you have to update the form to your new address.

Here a few that are still open and get stock to sale

www.aimsurplus.com
    www.centuryarms.com
    www.jgsales.com
    www.classicfirearms.com

If you're at a gun show in another state the vendor may or may not honor your C&R but I always carried a few copies with me.:cool:

Last edited:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I believe that any eligible C$R firearm, regardless of how obtained (license used or not), must go in the bound book. No big deal, just record keeping.

Getting out of state pistols delivered to your door with no other Maryland paperwork? H*ll yea. Any picking up some vintage firearms, h*ll yea.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'm sure several of you have gotten this license to help you with your own collections. It looks like a very simple process...a one page form and $30? Is that about it?

But then it says that it is 30-60 days to get it processed. Is there any way to speed up that part of the process?

And it keeps saying that you cannot use that license for doing business. Can anyone clarify what that means. They talk about buying for your own collection but does that mean that you can't sell and ship using your own FFL?

Suggest you start at page 1 and read. That and go to the ATF site to read more. You will be regulated and governed by them with respect to a license, not by what anyone on MDS tells you.

Attachments

• 910692E1-070B-4F0A-949B-D06F65BF3505.jpeg
      910692E1-070B-4F0A-949B-D06F65BF3505.jpeg
      72.3 KB · Views: 287
    Jul 1, 2012
    The problem with that C&R sticky is there is some bad/misleading info mixed in... I think most of it is addressed accordingly but...

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Suggest you start at page 1 and read. That and go to the ATF site to read more. You will be regulated and governed by them with respect to a license, not by what anyone on MDS tells you.

^^THIS. You'll see which info may be incorrect by reading through the posts but learn pretty much all you need to know to become an FFL 03

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Got mine in July. It took 30 days from the time I dropped it in the mail. Also, be prepared to buy another safe and max out your credit cards. It makes it way too easy to have guns sent to your door and is a sure route to the poor house. But it’s damn fun.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Get one, I've had one for 15 yrs. renew every 3 yrs. It's worth it. I just recently used mine on Gun Broker. Possumman is right watch yourself! Any firearm 50 yrs. old or older is eligible. It may not be on the list but if it is 50 yrs old or older you are good to go. Just recently went on the ATF website to make sure I was correct. Then did my thing on Gun Broker. Good Luck!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, with the C&R, I can have 50+ year old handguns delivered to my door without all the Maryland State paperwork and an HQL?

Correct. Several of us have recently purchased Czechoslovakian CZ50s in just the past week or two and had them shipped straight to us. The caveat is that it's not valid for handgun purchases between two citizens or FFLs in this state. Buy it from someone out of state? You're in the clear. In state? No go, still need that HQL and MSP background check.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Correct. Several of us have recently purchased Czechoslovakian CZ50s in just the past week or two and had them shipped straight to us. The caveat is that it's not valid for handgun purchases between two citizens or FFLs in this state. Buy it from someone out of state? You're in the clear. In state? No go, still need that HQL and MSP background check.

Slight correction - if its C$R eligible, don't need HQL in-state. Still need 77R / MSP background though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Get a FFL C&R 03 Lic is easy completed forms and send $30 then hurry up and wait 6-10 weeks give or take a few. When you get the License make a bunch of unsigned copies, keep the Original unsigned, if retired military get copies of your ID as will as your Drivers lic. many non C&R vendors give discounts to C&R/ 03 Lic holders and retired Mil. Many require Drivers lic to Internet/mail order ammo, C&R vendors require signed copy of your C&R Lic to ship to you, some will not honor it or ship to Maryland address. Read the stickys in the C & R Forum.
    NOTE : The FFL C&R/O3 is only good/used outside the state in which you live/address on the form, if you move you have to update the form to your new address.

Here a few that are still open and get stock to sale

www.aimsurplus.com
    www.centuryarms.com
    www.jgsales.com
    www.classicfirearms.com

If you're at a gun show in another state the vendor may or may not honor your C&R but I always carried a few copies with me.:cool:

No. The C&R rules apply within your own state also if you are a license holder. It is just that federal rules don’t override your state laws then. You can go buy a handgun in PA if it is C&R, give a copy of your license and drive home once you’ve handed over your money. You can buy it and have it shipped to your door. An interstate transfer “circumvents” state law. You don’t have to do a Maryland regulated firearm transfer or any of that stuff.

An intrastate transfer does not get around that though. So if you buy a C&R firearm in the state of Maryland you have to still do a 77r and 7-day wait because MD doesn’t recognize FFL-03 and as it isn’t an interstate transfer federal law can’t override state law.

But you MUST still provide a copy of your FFL to any FFL you are purchasing a C&R from and you must log sales and purchases in to your bound book. Doesn’t matter if you “aren’t using it” as there is no such thing unless the firearm is not C&R. It’s not that big a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom