• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I’m a military guy, and all my guns are AR-15s and AKs etc. I don’t hunt.

My 16 year old son, however, is a little Fudd, thanks to my brother-in-law, his uncle. They go deer hunting in West Virginia.

So, I’m humbly asking y’all Fudds for a recommendation for a deer rifle my son can use on these trips.

My criteria are:
    1. Legal for deer hunting in West Virginia.
    2. Lightweight, say less than 7 pounds.
    3. Reasonable recoil for a boney kid who weighs about 100 pounds.
    4. In a caliber I already stock which would be .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, 300 Blackout or 6.5 Creedmoor.
    5. Less than $1000.

I’m thinking a Savage 11/111 in .223. Opinions and other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    6.5 Creedmoor seems to be the golden caliber for bolt actions now. If he's fine with the recoil that would be a good choice. I haven't shot it myself but I've heard that its mild. 7.62x39 is also a perfectly good caliber for deer and you can get it in a bolt if thats what he wants. A Ruger American in 7.62x39 could be a good deer rig if you weren't planning to go to crazy distances. It should be fine for the distances most hunters shoot, at least in this area.

No reason that an AR in 300 blackout wouldnt be just fine if you already have that. Some people consider .223 to be a little light on deer and some states have minimums you have to meet. Lots of deer are killed with it though.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Ruger American

I just thought of something. Isn’t 350 Legend legal for deer hunting in a lot of Maryland counties now? What do you think of the Ruger American in 350 Legend?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I just thought of something. Isn’t 350 Legend legal for deer hunting in a lot of Maryland counties now? What do you think of the Ruger American in 350 Legend?

Another perfectly good option. The bonus there is that I believe straight walled cartridges are now legal for deer in MD shotgun only areas. If I was looking for an intermediate caliber bolt gun for deer I would probably want to get a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 because i already want one since it looks like a fun shooter and you get cheap ammo. I may not want to drag that around the woods too much though. If you want to use this as an excuse to get a new gun the Rugers are good.

If you want to save money it sounds like you already have several options that would work fine.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I don't know if 223 is legal in wv but it's illegal in a lot of states. Can it kill a deer, sure with great shots. I'd recommend something bigger, not a lot bigger if recoil is an issue I guess. A 308 with lighter bullets in a youth gun isn't too bad, except maybe at the range.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I also like the CZ 527. I’m a huge CZ fan and got to visit their flagship store in Prague 11 months ago. I’m also leery of the weight for him tromping up and down mountains in WV.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Build him a simple ar in 300blk,6.5grendel,6.8spc or 7.62x39. Plenty of other suitable calibers but those 4 are some of the most common. Top it with a vortex 1-6x and it will make a nice little woods gun. Bonus as he grows he can extended the stock out another notch and use it for years to come.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    He's kind of a Fud you say, well, there's nothing like a Marlin 336 to scratch that inner Fud, in 30-30. You can add a scope if he wants one. With stocks available everywhere cheap, you can pick up one and shorten it, keeping the original for when he grows. Just so happens I took one in trade the other day ... :-)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know if 223 is legal in wv but it's illegal in a lot of states. Can it kill a deer, sure with great shots. I'd recommend something bigger, not a lot bigger if recoil is an issue I guess. A 308 with lighter bullets in a youth gun isn't too bad, except maybe at the range.

It’s WV legal. Heavier .223 bullets do quite well on deer too

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have a Ruger American in 243. It shoots great and kills deer cleanly. I used a 270 for years and can see no difference in knockdown power.My grand son started using it when he was 12 and killed every deer he hit with it.....he missed a buck twice one day.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get him a decent 3006-308 or 270 or something like that.

My Fudd daughters were shooting deer when they were like 12 or 13 with an 06 for crying out loud.

If ammo's a problem that's what uncles are for.

They should be good for a lender rifle too if their real deal Fudds.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .223 seems to be legal in WV .

7lb ( presumably w/ scope, sling, etc ) will be the detail to watch . If they currently made them , an answer would be an H&R HandiRifle . Many models under 7lb , very accurate , and * Used to Be * very affordable . Alas , since being discontinued , the prices are very volatile , both from hunters/ shooters , and from collectors .

Normally .243 would be the automatic default answer , but that's not one of your pre existing caliber list .

To sidestep a little , is Shinobi Jr about to hit a growth spurt , or will he be a low to the ground 100lb type person long term ?

I presume some of your AR's are equipped with adjustable stocks for short arms ? Are any of your Blackout , Creedmore, ( or 7.62 x 39 AR ?) of such weight and balance that he can adequately shoot them off hand ?

Hopefully you're not intending to call your son vile insult , or accusing him of being of being a low life hypocrite . The " F Word " is a touchy subject , particularly with 2A supporters who also Hunt .

I would suspect that Shinobi Jr is actually an Aspiring Hunter and/ or Aspiring Outdoorsman .

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Where is he hunting in WV? Grant Co. Gormania, Bayard is right below me, mountains mostly with some rolling hills and flat. Can't go wrong with a light weight bolt action .308 with a nice simple 3X9 scope. He will grow into it and use it forever. Teach him one well placed shot one kill, not shooting at it with a semi auto until it goes down. I was taught with a Winchester lever action .30-30 no scope iron sights only. It got the job done in the WV mountains. When I started back in the day at age 10, one week only, one buck only, no baiting. No does were allowed to be taken. If you took a doe illegally and got caught DNR took your rifle also. When you went to court and if you were found guilty, you were fined, no hunting license for the next year. Your rifle was kept and you did not get it back. Tell the young man be patient, good luck and he will be ok! My nephew who hunts with me is 17 now. I got him a Savage Weather Warrior SS mod. 16 short action .308 made in both RH and LH with a new Redfield Revelation 3X9-40. He loves it no problems he has been shooting it with my handloads since age 15.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Ruger american in 6.5. Or .308. There's not as big a difference as people would believe.

Savage 10 in 6.5. Or .308.

.223 will work, but better save it for an experienced hunter. No need to spend a ton, these are excellent shooters. Vortex crossfire 3x9, and you might even break $500 if you catch a deal.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have a Ruger American in 243. It shoots great and kills deer cleanly. I used a 270 for years and can see no difference in knockdown power.My grand son started using it when he was 12 and killed every deer he hit with it.....he missed a buck twice one day.

Got the same 243 and it shoots lights out. My second favorite rifle next to my Marlin 30-30 that I use in WV.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Get him a decent 3006-308 or 270 or something like that.

My Fudd daughters were shooting deer when they were like 12 or 13 with an 06 for crying out loud.

If ammo's a problem that's what uncles are for.

They should be good for a lender rifle too if their real deal Fudds.:thumbsup:

My suggestion as well. With regard to recoil, Managed Recoil ammunition for any of these 3 cartridges has much to offer. It will result in an approximate 30% recoil reduction vs. "standard" ammo, with resulting felt recoil much akin to low recoil favorite .243 Winchester. It will still be offering plenty of energy for deer, and leaves a whole lot more upside potential for hunting anything in the lower 48 states with that same rifle, once the young man grows a bit in size and recoil tolerance, and switches to "standard" ammunition varieties.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    He'll grow into a 06 but nothing wrong with a 243, I believe the Savage 99 was chambered for it. 7mm/08 is also a dandy cartridge.

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    I am Fud.

Impossible to answer this question without understanding the terrain / distance he is hunting.

Given its WV I would assume its a mix of stands that sit in backwoods. If he's doing wooded tree stands / pushes in the thicket your going to want to get him a classic 30-30 lever action. Don't waste your money on something new. If you want to get him a great rifle get a Marlin 336 from the 50/60/70's on gun broker for $300-450 and get him a high quality scope on some peep-through riser rings [so if a deer comes up close to him he can use the iron sights.] Those setups are beautiful and look impressive and have tons of OldTimeyGoodness. Older Fuds will say man that set up brings me back.

OR if he's on the borders of woods / open fields get him a 30-06 or if you're smart .270 [because it is basically same as 30-06 AND all over the shelves even during corona].

Again.. lever action because its more maneuverable in trees / pushes.. and bolt action longer barrel rifle like 30.06 if he's longer range.

And no, don't buy him a .223 or 5.56 or thumping a 300 savage he's not going to war or hunting rhinos this is white tailed deer people.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I always use my older Remington Model700 BDLSS in 7mm Mag. Never notice the recoil when bearing down on a live animal. It gets it done. I also own a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 but never hunted with it. My old fall back only on nice weather days is my Winchester Model 88 in 308. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom