• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    So many of you Tok fan bois know that Tok ammo is nowhere to be found online for order.
    BUT...I just came across a place in Canada that has 630,000 Chinese military surplus rounds of it available for sale. I’m seeing the same lot of ammo showing up on gunbroker for outrageous prices. My question is (since I think 550 bucks for a crate of 2520 rounds of surplus Tok ammo is worth it), since this supplier is in Canada is there a legal means to purchase it? If so, does it involve getting permission from ATF to import it? Just trying to navigate the red tape here. 630K available rounds is just too good of a prize not to try. If it can’t be done, it can’t be done but you don’t know if you don’t ask, right?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So many of you Tok fan bois know that Tok ammo is nowhere to be found online for order.
    BUT...I just came across a place in Canada that has 630,000 Chinese military surplus rounds of it available for sale. I’m seeing the same lot of ammo showing up on gunbroker for outrageous prices. My question is (since I think 550 bucks for a crate of 2520 rounds of surplus Tok ammo is worth it), since this supplier is in Canada is there a legal means to purchase it? If so, does it involve getting permission from ATF to import it? Just trying to navigate the red tape here. 630K available rounds is just too good of a prize not to try. If it can’t be done, it can’t be done but you don’t know if you don’t ask, right?

Short answer, no.

Long answer:

Because China is the country of origin, you wouldn't likely be able to do so unless it was extremely old. Add in the fact that it's likely steel core (similar to the steel core Czech and Romanian sub-gun stuff that came in pre-ban) and it's instantly considered armor-piercing handgun ammo and verboten.

You could try using an importer, but it's highly doubtful and you risk a lot of money up front to have the BATFE say "Nope."

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    I kinda figured there was a reason it wasn’t flooding onto the market. Too damn bad our government doesn’t have more of a libertarian streak in it but that’s a different conversation.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to enjoy the 5,000 rounds I already have socked away.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew there would be someone out there who knew what the story was behind this cache. It is bizarre that a vendor is VA is getting his/her hands on it and selling it on GB, though.

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Actually now that I look at the picture again, it says lead core ammo. So maybe the only issue keeping it from getting in is that it is Chinese?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Actually now that I look at the picture again, it says lead core ammo. So maybe the only issue keeping it from getting in is that it is Chinese?

Yep.

The reason we can import ChiCom SKSs and T-53s is that they were in the subsequent country (Albania in most cases) since before the ban in importation. This ammo is likely post-ban and thus, would be verboten.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

There's Tok ammo in the Classifieds.......

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I have no idea if ammo in Canada can be imported into the US. I'm no help there.

Once ago surplus Com Bloc 7.62x25 ammo was dirt cheap here and readily available. Sadly, those days are long gone. :sad20: Sure, it's Berdan-primed (non-reloadable) and (often) corrosive, but it's a lotta fun to shoot. With a variety of TT-33's and CZ-52's in my safe, I stocked up back then and I'm glad I did.

7.62x25 is an interesting cartridge. About 30 years ago I picked up my first CZ-52. Try finding ammo for one back then. Most folks didn't know what the hell I was talking about. So I bought an inexpensive (then) RCBS case forming die set and made my own out of .223 cases. Not ideal, but it works - and I still can.

These days I satisfy my urge to shoot Toks and '52's with a Zastava M-70A and a CZ-52 I built - both in 9mm. They are close to the same experience and I can easily feed them regularly. The "real" pistols come out on "special occasions" at Hooligan shoots...

;)

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I have no idea if ammo in Canada can be imported into the US. I'm no help there.

Once ago surplus Com Bloc 7.62x25 ammo was dirt cheap here and readily available. Sadly, those days are long gone. :sad20: Sure, it's Berdan-primed (non-reloadable) and (often) corrosive, but it's a lotta fun to shoot. With a variety of TT-33's and CZ-52's in my safe, I stocked up back then and I'm glad I did.

7.62x25 is an interesting cartridge. About 30 years ago I picked up my first CZ-52. Try finding ammo for one back then. Most folks didn't know what the hell I was talking about. So I bought an inexpensive (then) RCBS case forming die set and made my own out of .223 cases. Not ideal, but it works - and I still can.

These days I satisfy my urge to shoot Toks and '52's with a Zastava M-70A and a CZ-52 I built - both in 9mm. They are close to the same experience and I can easily feed them regularly. The "real" pistols come out on "special occasions" at Hooligan shoots...

;)

I've done this in .30 Mauser when the ammo was impossible to find. Also found some 9MM magnum cases and used them to form cases. I am pretty certain the .30 Mauser and the Tok case are about the same and have read the Germans used .30 mauser ammo in Tok pistols in the 2nd world war. Tok ammo is of course too hot for the Mauser should not be used in the .30 mauser pistols.
    Don't know if this helps, but found it interesting.

Feb 28, 2013

;)
    Dunno why that round never caught on

Shoots pretty tame I thought, at least your pistols do

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've done this in .30 Mauser when the ammo was impossible to find. Also found some 9MM magnum cases and used them to form cases. I am pretty certain the .30 Mauser and the Tok case are about the same and have read the Germans used .30 mauser ammo in Tok pistols in the 2nd world war. Tok ammo is of course too hot for the Mauser should not be used in the .30 mauser pistols.
    Don't know if this helps, but found it interesting.

Dimensionally they are the same. The difference is the pressure (and resultant velocity). Not sure if Tok has thicker case walls than 30 Mauser or not though.

I got 100 pieces of PPU brass, a few hundred 30 Luger SPRN bullets as well as a couple hundred once fired brass to reload and dies. It’s my next project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom