Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM #21

I've heard there are a lot of US 1918 fakes on the market, how do you tell a real one from a fake?
SirMrManGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:38 PM #22
EXTREME GUN OWNER

EXTREME GUN OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMrManGuy View Post
I've heard there are a lot of US 1918 fakes on the market, how do you tell a real one from a fake?
There are several ways to tell a real knife from a fake. Fake ones are often newly made replicas that have been altered and aged artificially. Most replicas only have the "US 1918" marking on the handle and often this marking is smaller or different looking from what's on the originals. Real U.S. made 1918 trench knives were marked with a smaller maker's mark on the handle below the "US 1918" marking. Sometimes the maker's mark is faked. These makers include "L F & C - 1918", "O C L - 1918", and "H D & S - 1918". All US made example came with a steel sheath marked "L F & C - 1918" at the top. Original French made knives always have "Au Lion" stamped on one side of the blade near the handle. This marking can also be faked. I recommend studying authentic examples at gun/knife shows and in books before buying. Study the blades and the sheaths as well. Many fakes come with the wrong sheath and the blades are not correctly ground. Some fakes even have spike blades, and no originals came with such a blade but it is important to remember that during WWII many original knives were altered in the theater and different blades were added.

Here's some photos, first one is a real US made knife showing the sheath and all markings. Second one shows an original French made sheath made from thin sheet metal, notice the welded prongs. The American sheaths were built differently and have riveted prongs and thicker metal than the french examples. Third photo shows a fake, notice the small marking on the handle, the poorly ground blade, and the wrong sheath.
Last photo shows an authentic French made example, notice the large marking on the handle, much larger than the marking on the fake one. Another thing to look for is the "skull crusher" nut securing the blade to the handle. Fakes often have nuts that are quite different in size and shape. Fakes also can have very poor or rough casting of the handle.
Hope this helps!
Attached Images

The Chicago police department said the best way to defend yourself from a violent attacker is to vomit on yourself. I think flinging poo could work a little better. But NOTHING beats flinging LEAD!
WeaponsCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM #23
EXTREME GUN OWNER

EXTREME GUN OWNER

Made a new video of some of my American WWI trench knives. Got the chrome plated one recently and I think it was likely presented to a soldier as a gift or award during WWII....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wvaB2MKg0

The Chicago police department said the best way to defend yourself from a violent attacker is to vomit on yourself. I think flinging poo could work a little better. But NOTHING beats flinging LEAD!
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM #24

Since this thread was revived by another I will add a little history. The WWI trench knife with the triangular blade was indeed banned by the geneva convention because the wounds will/would not close up or heal properly. Basically leaving a triangular hole in the person that can not be stitched shut or closed before the person bleeds out. The ban actually states blades having more than two sides may not be used (Not an exact quote but you get the just of it).
ThisGuy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM #25
EXTREME GUN OWNER

EXTREME GUN OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy918 View Post
Since this thread was revived by another I will add a little history. The WWI trench knife with the triangular blade was indeed banned by the geneva convention because the wounds will/would not close up or heal properly. Basically leaving a triangular hole in the person that can not be stitched shut or closed before the person bleeds out. The ban actually states blades having more than two sides may not be used (Not an exact quote but you get the just of it).
Hard to imagine a knife being too brutal for war.
But that's what makes them such great collector's items.
Glad I got mine years ago when they were still somewhat affordable.
They have been getting harder and harder to find, especially with the leather sheath.

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM #26

Send a message via Yahoo to rj1974

Great collection WC . I need to get all my WWII knives and bayonets out and put some pictures up sooner or later.
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM #27
EXTREME GUN OWNER

EXTREME GUN OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1974 View Post
Great collection WC . I need to get all my WWII knives and bayonets out and put some pictures up sooner or later.
Thanks! Please do, I'd really like to see them.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM #28

You guys have some really nice collections. This may be something I need to look into collecting. I find the WWI trench knives/bayonets very interesting. Many have blunt point and some even flat to ensure maximum damage. I remember looking at the WWI section in our local museum growing up and wondering what it must have been like to fight like that. It was a very different kind of war back then. There was no such thing as a "wounding weapons" or collateral damage. Everything was made to kill and maim at all costs.
ThisGuy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy918 View Post
You guys have some really nice collections. This may be something I need to look into collecting. I find the WWI trench knives/bayonets very interesting. Many have blunt point and some even flat to ensure maximum damage. I remember looking at the WWI section in our local museum growing up and wondering what it must have been like to fight like that. It was a very different kind of war back then. There was no such thing as a "wounding weapons" or collateral damage. Everything was made to kill and maim at all costs.
It is a great hobby . Ive been collecting sharp pointy things since I was a kid . I look at the knives at gun shows more then I do the firearms. Just a word of advice , decide what you want to collect and do lots of research .There are some great books out the and online resources for identifying knives . And ther are sooooo many fakes out there ,hell I know some people that collect the fakes . Ive bought a few just because they did look so good.As far as US military knives Ive found the M.H.Coles books to be some of the best great pictures and descriptions , his books are collectors items themselves now and command a hefty price . But if they keep ypu from getting screwed they are well worth it .Silvey and Trzaska have some great books out too . Ebay used to be a great place to get knives cheap before everyone started realizing what they had lol . Now I usualy just dig around at yard sales and flea markets and some antique shops ,craigslist has been good on occassion too.Anyway Ive rambled on enough .Its a fun hobby and can get expensive . Feel free to ask if you have any questions Im sure youll get great help here on the forum.

Ray
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM #30

Interesting copllection. on the TV Series "Boardwalk Empire", a main character returned from WW I and carried one in his boot as a gangster. I believe in the show he has killed several men with it, before he himslef was killed in the finale. Thanks for the information, several facts I did not know, including the tirangle blade restriction.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Edged Weapons