• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    that there critter looks like a relative of the coyote that I saw about 1 year ago in Rock Creek Park (DC).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Some pics of MD coyotes.

1st 2- taken N Balto county by 83 and near the Mason Dixon line, 6/18/10. It was barking in the woods late afternoon, so this guy decided to set up with his dying bunny call and his .22 mag, and it came running in. Pics were taken next morning. I have access to trapping on surrounding properties, and hope this guy doesn't get any more. Red foxes are getting boring LOL, I want to trap a coyote.

3rd pic- taken in Harford, somewhere around Fallston. Female, about 36-37 pounds, fur was fully prime, taken in early dec or late nov. I'd have to look up the actual take date.

Attachments

• danniescoyote1.jpg
      danniescoyote1.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 146
    • danniescoyote2.jpg
      danniescoyote2.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 143
    • mdcoyote2.jpg
      mdcoyote2.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 140

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Those things were as common around Phoenix as rats in DC. We lived on a golf course and every night it was coyotes and rabbits playing chase (usually didn't end well for the rabbit). We would use a wounded rabbit call and spotlight them out in the desert. I've shot well into the hundreds. Meaty targets and nothing more.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Those things were as common around Phoenix as rats in DC. We lived on a golf course and every night it was coyotes and rabbits playing chase (usually didn't end well for the rabbit). We would use a wounded rabbit call and spotlight them out in the desert. I've shot well into the hundreds. Meaty targets and nothing more.

You should see what an XM-218 does to one.... POOF pink mist

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    They're all over the place up here in HarCo.

I know the Proving Ground has listed them as a hazardous animal on the installation
    (See Page 23) http://www.apg.army.mil/apghome/sites/installation/iso/PDF/LocalHazards/Chapter9.pdf

I would love to see one when I was out hunting...free target practice!

That's what I am always hearing. The rumor is that they were bought in and let loose in the PG in an effort to control the deer. In any event, I hear the coyotes are taking Harford over to some degree. There's enough running around that mangey ones are being shot or showing up on game cams.

For some reason, while yotes are where I am, they are still low in #'s. I've never snagged one on the trapline, and I also have not yet had a coyote rip a fox from my traps ( a bad habit they have- yotes hate foxes). A buddy of mine in PA did have something kill and eat the chest out of a grey fox he had caught. He also saw where it looked like a coyote had been bedding in snow, plus the tracks. The next deer season someone shot a coyote off that farm. I also was fox trapping at another PA farm, where when I set up, found a fairly fresh coyote turd. Never saw any new sign though. They come and they go.

2 years ago I saw what may have been fisher tracks right here in N Balto county- now that was neat. Thought it was a big mink's tracks at first, but as I followed it the the track and stride were getting too big for a mink, so I started thinking small otter. Hmm something doesn't look right as far as otter either, plus the animal veered away from all the creeks and streams and up a ridge into the woods. Otters tend to go from one body of water to another, and spend much time swimming and bank running.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    That's what I am always hearing. The rumor is that they were bought in and let loose in the PG in an effort to control the deer. In any event, I hear the coyotes are taking Harford over to some degree. There's enough running around that mangey ones are being shot or showing up on game cams.

For some reason, while yotes are where I am, they are still low in #'s. I've never snagged one on the trapline, and I also have not yet had a coyote rip a fox from my traps ( a bad habit they have- yotes hate foxes). A buddy of mine in PA did have something kill and eat the chest out of a grey fox he had caught. He also saw where it looked like a coyote had been bedding in snow, plus the tracks. The next deer season someone shot a coyote off that farm. I also was fox trapping at another PA farm, where when I set up, found a fairly fresh coyote turd. Never saw any new sign though. They come and they go.

2 years ago I saw what may have been fisher tracks right here in N Balto county- now that was neat. Thought it was a big mink's tracks at first, but as I followed it the the track and stride were getting too big for a mink, so I started thinking small otter. Hmm something doesn't look right as far as otter either, plus the animal veered away from all the creeks and streams and up a ridge into the woods. Otters tend to go from one body of water to another, and spend much time swimming and bank running.

Is trapping a hobby for you or more? I've been thinking about giving it a try but seems like there is a steep learning curve.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...They come and they go....
    Because of this, hunting does seem difficult to predict and I'm thinking of trapping them in western MD when I'm up there a few days at a time this winter. Been looking at a half dozen offset jaw quadded #2 Bridgers. You can get them already "coyote proofed", with crunch-proof swivels, reinforced base plates and the two extra coil springs. Already have a bunch of old double coil 1.75s for foxes, but I'd feel better with more holding power for coyotes....
    Is trapping a hobby for you or more? I've been thinking about giving it a try but seems like there is a steep learning curve.
    There IS quite a bit to it to be regularly successful, but there is so much info online anymore learning is accelerated. One is also up against a somewhat lesser intellect, so a little deviousness and attention to detail go a long way.

We used to trap reds in the 70s & early 80s, but fur prices plummeted and it wasn't worth the time to run a line. Other than occasional pest control, my own traps have been in baskets and I haven't bothered to trap. I would like a nice coyote hide though.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    E Shell, check out the new MB550 traps. Coyote ready out of the box, but work great on foxes too- and I am told by PA coyote trappers that the 2 coil model is more than enough to hold onto a big eastern yote. If you are going to spend extra on modded bridgers, you might as well spend extra on these MB traps.

Trapping is part hobby, part business. I sell taxidermy prepped hides to other taxidermists, as well as mounting some spares up to sell, and making and selling fur hats from critters I trapped. The trapping I do is mostly all for pest control, people here like free range chickens, and so do foxes. I have to be the agent of the landowner to set on dry land in Balto county- really retarded law ( or if I could get them to do a 1.00 a year lease or something). My permission slips all say that I am the landowner's agent( pest control agent?), then they sign it. I water trap more for fun, but beavers can be a PIA for some farmers planting flood plains. No complaints from me, I enjoy going after these big tree cutting furballs. The muskrats, mink, and otters are all just for the hell of it, though it does have benefits. I've also trapped in Harford co, and York county PA.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace

Learning curve is shorter if you can get a veteran trapper mentor. Want to trap red fox? I have a set that is so simple and so effective, it makes you think foxes are as dumb as possums.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    When I think coyote I think the Ohhhhhhhhhhhh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhh nighttime orgasmic yell you hear on old western movies. Haven't heard that yet but it would be kinda cool. :)

It is not a cool sound when you're in the woods at night. I hate coyotes. It's even worse when they bark like dogs and you walk towards the sound thinking it's a dog hung up on a branch or something in the woods. I've had that happen to me looking for a dog that ran away. For their efforts one of them got a 140gr .270 to the face, bet he won't do that again :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom