• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Learning curve is shorter if you can get a veteran trapper mentor. Want to trap red fox? I have a set that is so simple and so effective, it makes you think foxes are as dumb as possums.

I'd love to learn more about it but you're not exactly close. The show I was at today Ron Leggett had a booth set up. I believe he is President of Maryland Fur Trappers? He was going to do a little seminar but it didn't pan out. Maybe I will catch up with him tomorrow.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I can teach this set online LOL. It's also featured in a book put out for PA Trapper's Association on canine trapping from "top PA trappers", though there is me and a guy from NYS in there too ( who can really bust eastern coyotes btw). It is the simplest stupidest fox set, but I experimented with it one season on a smallish trapline ( about 9 locations) and caught 60 foxes using just this set ( also caught another 21 using other sets). The locations were primarily in Balto co and York co PA.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks for the trap recommendation, I looked at those but am not familiar with them.
    I can teach this set online LOL....
    As an old dirt-hole guy, your new set has me really curious too. I understand that typically, a set that works for foxes can be scaled up for 'yotes, and I'd likely use the same set with a slightly longer step-back.

Though they never really paid off for me with foxes, I would go with a few scent post sets for coyotes too.

I've smoked them with an egg and a feather at a dirt hole set for years, but would love to add to my arsenal (figurative speaking, of course). :D

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Check out the retrievable cable stakes also sold by Minnesota Traplines- these will work great for coyotes and you can pull them and re-use them too. Yes PA coyote trappers told me that these particular cable stakes work great. Rockier soils 12", softer type soils 18". I'm gonna get me some for this season.

The set in question is called " the hay set". It requires nice smelling hay, hay chaff, 2 traps and staking system, liquid gland lure ( red fox butt glands rendered down to liquid are best), and red fox urine. You need to set right on a known fox travelway just like any other type set. I also discovered that I could do a hybrid set, where 1 trap is used. Basically a dirt hole, but I cover the trap lightly with hay chaff and sprinkle hay all around the backing. Yes eggs drive reds wild, but they also attract grinners and stinkers LOL.

I'll post details when I get time. I spent some 5 hours today caping a deer that had been in a freezer 7 years LOL, plus all my other chores. Freezer burned buck- but I'm nuts. Customers tend to prefer the orginal over a swap out cape, so it was either or in this case with him paying extra. LOL this deer had the old check- in tag, remember those days?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks FoxTrapper, I poked around a little and think I found where you had already written this up. I've got a couple spots in mind where that set would be perfect.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I am guessing you googled it and found huntPA and the hay set post? I had also once posted it at a chicken forum.

Joemac, I got your pm, will answer it later.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Just don't use crossed stakes like in the 1 pic. It causes binding and that means broken legs or even a twist out ( I feel sick thinking of how I learned the hard way). Attach to a 24" single stake if no coyotes are around, use a single cable stake with both traps hooked to it with a swivel if there are coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom