• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What is this, exactly? I heard it used by a couple of whiny 12 year olds recently.

'OK gramps'.

Its a 'clapback' from millenials when they have to admit that you are right but they decide not to care what you have to say.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not to further detail the thread, but I’m 35. Does that categorize me as a boomer, or a millennial?

But back on topic: A certified welder with a strong work ethic, and certs or worthwhile proven experience in multiple disciplines and exotic metals can find a great paying job anywhere.

I'd guess boomer for anyone under 35 and millennial for anyone over 35. LOL

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    'OK gramps'.

Its a 'clapback' from millenials when they have to admit that you are right but they decide not to care what you have to say.

Yeah, I'm not big on the lame names for the designated age groups but...

If anyone has ever worked corporate retail in their life they can easily laugh at some of the "boomer" memes a little more than others.

Really tho, "customers" of all ages get upset in corporate retail but the "boomers" seem to be high achievers

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Ah, OK.

Well, if anyone says "OK boomer" to me I'll just retort with "Whatever, princess."

Hopefully they won't be "triggered", and sue me for hurting their feelings, for assuming their gender, or whatever ******** they're crying about during their latest menstrual cycle.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Hopefully they won't be "triggered", and sue me for hurting their feelings, for assuming their gender, or whatever ******** they're crying about during their latest menstrual cycle.

That's so insensitive of you to assume that men don't have their period. And no, you won't be sued. This is the kind of stuff they goes to a 'human rights commission' which follows administrative procedure, not law. So good luck to you !

timbo76

Oct 13, 2018
    Perry Hall
    College isn't for everyone, and it sure wasn't for me. So I got into Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 486, got my HVAC Journeyman License, so to me, that's my degree. I think all the trades in general are having a hard time finding the next generation of tradesmen, especially in the blue collar fields. High schools need to push the trades more, showing students you can stil make a good living without a degree.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    you can still make a good living without a degree.

I’ll echo that statement.

I’m trying to remember numbers, but I believe every technician in my employ in AZ, NV, OR, & WA was exceeding $100k gross within four years of entering the business. Some of the go-getters broke into the six figures in three years at just 22-25 years old with no degree. On top of the income, I provided their phone, boots, uniforms, and a free vehicle. Plus the normal stuff like health, dental, vision, 401k matching, vacation, sick days, paid wellness days, HSA contributions, etc.

Even with those perks and benefits, finding the right people is a struggle. We will be hiring 50 technicians in 2020 to support growth and expect to need another 20-25 to replace promotions, competitive poaching, terminations, and the like.

The blue collar pool seems to be shrinking while the demand is increasing. It’s a great time to be coming out of high school, votech, or a technical degree school. A positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, and the ability to troubleshoot independently can make for a very rewarding and lucrative career. No degree needed.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’ll echo that statement.

I’m trying to remember numbers, but I believe every technician in my employ in AZ, NV, OR, & WA was exceeding $100k gross within four years of entering the business. Some of the go-getters broke into the six figures in three years at just 22-25 years old with no degree. On top of the income, I provided their phone, boots, uniforms, and a free vehicle. Plus the normal stuff like health, dental, vision, 401k matching, vacation, sick days, paid wellness days, HSA contributions, etc.

Even with those perks and benefits, finding the right people is a struggle. We will be hiring 50 technicians in 2020 to support growth and expect to need another 20-25 to replace promotions, competitive poaching, terminations, and the like.

The blue collar pool seems to be shrinking while the demand is increasing. It’s a great time to be coming out of high school, votech, or a technical degree school. A positive attitude, a willingness to work hard, and the ability to troubleshoot independently can make for a very rewarding and lucrative career. No degree needed.

When my 7/9 year old come to the cross roads after HS we will have a serious talk about the pros and cons of going into the trades vs. college. I know my plumber has enough business to keep him busy 365 days a year and has to be making more than I do.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Glad to hear that MDS was able to help you find an hire.

The trades in general are struggling to find field workers. In 8yrs approximately 40% will be retiring or close to it. That is a lot of replacements needed and I struggle to see this happening.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Glad to hear that MDS was able to help you find an hire.

The trades in general are struggling to find field workers. In 8yrs approximately 40% will be retiring or close to it. That is a lot of replacements needed and I struggle to see this happening.

Yes on this statement , never been worse in finding "good" help . I even stopped trying to find help .
    We tell the customers upfront about wait times and most are okay with it .

I am happy for the OP in finding someone looking for work or a change here at the MDS pool of talent .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My Uncle dropped out of school in the 9th grade. The Navy taught him how to weld and do layout work. He ended up with his own shop and had engineers from chemical plants and paper mills calling him all the time for solutions to problems they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom