• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What is the current wisdom on HD ammo for .357?

It used to be 125 gr JHP. Still? I see a lot of offerings in 158 gr JHP.

Asking for a friend of course. :D

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Between brands there's probably not much difference in performance. We all have our preferences. If you have a short barrel gun look for loadings prioritized for snubbies...less flash. The 125 grain may still be the standard but 158 grain may give better performance in tests...but usually at the cost of increased recoil and blast.

Personally...I like the idea of a good .38 Special...you can get two quick rounds on target in the same amount of time shooting one .357 and pulling it down out of recoil. As always...hits count.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think 125g is hard to beat in a .357. Marshall and Sanow rated it around 98% back in the day on real police shootings and that is what SIG built the .357SIG to be.

158g may over penetrate. Not a horrible round but I think 125 is a better call and what I still stick with after many years.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    .357 125 grain JHP is one of the most lethal rounds out there! You only have six, maybe seven rounds. So just make sure you hit what you are aiming at and you should be fine! S&W is the way to go!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a strong case for 38+P in a 357, far less blast/noise, less recoil, easier ejection and loading. Makes up for the reduced power, provided adequate performance from a good modern bullet. 357 usually expands more reliably, especially with older designs like SWCHP, that will almost never expand at 38+p velocities. Best bet would to time and score a 12rd group, if you shoot 38s significantly better, then probably should go with that over 357s. A better shooter probably won't loose as much time with 357s compared to 38s, so the more powerful round may be the way to go. Kinda like running a shotgun, revolvers can be good, offer a lot of power, but require a LOT of practice and skill, especially in loading to overcome the low capacity and cumbersome loading methods.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    An earlier poster sited the 125 grain magnum round and 98% effectiveness from Marshall and Sanow. Would current ”wisdom” really improve anything?

Alucard’s post on other factors spell out the modern wisdom the OP’s friend is seeking. And that wisdom really isn’t really all that new.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    There are "Mid Range" 357 loads available. Speer GDHP 135gr short barrel is an example (990FPS) or Remington Golden Sabers (1200FPS).

m_ev

Mar 22, 2013
    The Federal Premium 357 Magnum 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Product #: 125614 is the classic load that was the standard for stopping power. Right now it is hard to find in stock and a little more than some other loads.
    The second most effective load is the 357 Mag 125 Grain SJHP Remington HTP Ammo - RTP357M1A and is available now at SG Ammo. Most current 357 defense loads are downloaded to reduce recoil or developed for the shorter than 4 inch barrrel volvers being sold as carry guns. The 4 to 6 inch guns will be perfect for the two loads I recommend but shorter barrels may have better performance with a load like the 357 Magnum 135 Grain Gold Dot Hollow Point GDHP Personal Protection Short Barrel Ammo - 23917GD that is a very effective round for shorter revolvers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looking for 4" and 6"

I see that Hornady Critical Duty is loaded for full sized pistols. And Critical Defense for short barreled, SD firearms.

Looks like 125 gr is still the way to go.

Thanks

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yep, those sjhp bullets loaded by Federal, Remington, and others are a great design for expansion and totally reliable in the revolver. Most of the modern wonder design HPs were developed to remedy feeding issues in autos; they feature more copper at the nose. The same sjhp design bullets used in revolvers would jam an auto with the lead at the nose catching on the feed ramp/chamber edge.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In absolute performance , a full power 125jhp is still the bomb . Why consider anything else ? Because the muzzle blast and recoil are significant . They were considered significant back when "small " .357 mag meant an all steel medium frame 2.5-2.75 inch . In the current small frame and or exotic lightweight materials , they are essentially unmanageable , even if you disregard the pain ( to the shooter ).

Medium loaded .357 125gr is still pretty effective , more manageable , but still a step up from .38 +P .

FWIW , 110gr jhp has always been loaded about 3/4 level , but will invite spirited debate about it's penetration ( ie by some people's druthers is on the shallow side ) .

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I looked and couldnt find it, but I seem to recall a thread that started around 2010 that stated 125 grain .357 caused spalding between the cylinder and barrel. I'm old and my memory isnt that good anymore so I might be wrong.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Looking for 4" and 6"

I see that Hornady Critical Duty is loaded for full sized pistols. And Critical Defense for short barreled, SD firearms.

Looks like 125 gr is still the way to go.

Thanks

I believe Critical Duty also uses a bonded bullet and is designed for barrier penetration, while Critical Defense is not. Probably good for LE requirements, may or may not be good for HD depending upon your situation and possible concerns about over penetration. Just a little more info to consider.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Personally, I do not use .357 ammo for HD

1st. deployment.....4" Ruger GP 100, Tritium night sights, Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr. 38 SPL., 6 rnds. fired double action.

Back-up.....Springfield EMP1911 9mm Tritium night sights, Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. 30 rnds.

Over penetration can be an issue with .357 Magnums. The Flex-Tip on the Hornady ammo provides consistent expansion while preventing clogging of the hollow point from clothing etc., and not as likely to exhibit excessive over penetration.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    158 grain is deeper penetrating in most cases and usually heavier recoiling. 125 grain is higher velocity. Which is better is open to debate...kinda like blondes vs brunettes vs redheads. They all can get the job done if you do your part.

125 grain was known for flame cutting the forcing cone and top strap just above the forcing cone due to being loaded so hot. S&W, Ruger and maybe some others had experienced the issue...particularly with stainless guns early on. The issues were pretty much taken care of in time...improved metallurgy and ammunition propellants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom