• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Is $500 a good deal for a 1973 Colt Detective special with nice blueing in excellent shape?

Thanks,
    Rob.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Even with no box and papers, that's a fair deal. With box and papers, that's a really good deal.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    For $1250 they'll be keeping it until...well...they don't don't plan on selling it at all.

About the only way it's worth that kind of money is if it's a WWII Detective Special sent to the military, FBI or the OSS...and it needs a Colt Archive letter to prove that. Then it would be worth about $2500 with that kind of provenance.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Thanks for all the info. I didn't really trust gunbroker right now because of all the craziness.

Happily, I did add it to my collection yesterday. It's my first colt anything. It's a good shooter, and a beautiful pistol. However, when I took it to the range, I found I do like the S&W grips better. They just feel better in my hand when shooting.

Thanks for all the help!

Rob.

A Smart Man knows what he knows,
    A Wise Man knows what he doesn't know,
    A Fool knows neither.

If the government fears the people, there is freedom.
    If the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The purpose of the 2nd amendment is not hunting, not sport, not self defense, but freedom from tyranny.

Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks for all the info. I didn't really trust gunbroker right now because of all the craziness.

Happily, I did add it to my collection yesterday. It's my first colt anything. It's a good shooter, and a beautiful pistol. However, when I took it to the range, I found I do like the S&W grips better. They just feel better in my hand when shooting.

Thanks for all the help!

Rob.

A Smart Man knows what he knows,
    A Wise Man knows what he doesn't know,
    A Fool knows neither.

If the government fears the people, there is freedom.
    If the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The purpose of the 2nd amendment is not hunting, not sport, not self defense, but freedom from tyranny.

Second Amendment Foundation -- Maryland Shall Issue -- NRA Life Member

I have a Tyler T-Grip for the CDS. It improves the feel of the grip. It's for sale if you're interested. Check them out. http://www.t-grips.com/

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    For $1250 they'll be keeping it until...well...they don't don't plan on selling it at all.

About the only way it's worth that kind of money is if it's a WWII Detective Special sent to the military, FBI or the OSS...and it needs a Colt Archive letter to prove that. Then it would be worth about $2500 with that kind of provenance.
    This one is a 2nd issue, maybe 70s. Nothing special. It came in and he marked it 750. Nice gun but not worth that to me. I waited for it to be reduced, Instead, he raised the price to 1250 and there is sits. He often has very fair prices on older guns.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    $750 is top of the market for a NIB blue example. Nickel and Electroless Nickel will bring more but still would have to be NIB to do so. At $1250 he really doesn't want to sell it...or he's hoping for local civil disturbances when scared libs will pay any amount for anything that goes bang...and the police have been defunded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom