• E9FD6F9B-F9B9-4116-8681-A577F75D2E5F.jpg
      E9FD6F9B-F9B9-4116-8681-A577F75D2E5F.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 361

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    One of my closest friends carries a Taurus Judge "Public Defender". I make fun of him endlessly for it. Mind you, he also has a beautiful S&W 686 snubby that he does not carry.

Logic is not his forte.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I am very partial to this S&W 649-2. The shrouded hammer gives you the choice of DA or SA. 38 special is the maximum caliber for a pocket revolver, IMO.

Attachments

• 20200619_152542.jpg
      20200619_152542.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 354

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have an original 1972 Colt Cobra that I carry on occasion. I use Critical Defense rounds out of it. Low noise and flash. I could have bought a new S&W for roughly the same price but I like the extra round. I have an okay IWB holster for it, but I pocket carry it in a jacket pocket for the most part. Speedloaders are available.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Is the LCRx essentially the same gun with an exposed hammer?

I have a GP100 .357 6" that I have had forever. Great gun. If it's similar to that might be worth a look

But again weight and overall size/width are primary considerations here.

Yes, it has a 3" barrel and is very light. they also make it in 357 Magnum that is only slightly heavier. 5 Shot cylinder.

Edit: just checked the Ruger site. The 38 Special weighs 15.7 oz. The 357 Magnum is 21 oz.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    S&W 442 or Ruger LCR. Both are excellent. Whichever you prefer.
    That's probably going to be the final two. I've watched a bunch of YouTube reviews on them and seems like both have advantages and disadvantages vs the other.

Ruger:
    Lighter weight
    Better grips
    Smoother trigger

S&W:
    Smaller size
    Lower price
    Better factory sights

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Smith j frame. I carry mine in a pocket holster if I'm in basketball shorts or something that I don't want to run an IWB holster with.

ETA: it's a Smith 442. Clandestine did some work on the trigger and it's about as nice as any DA trigger could be.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Personally I don't see much point in using a .357 in a gun with a 2" barrel...excessive flash and blast and too much lost velocity. In a snubby I think two quick hits with a good .38 Special works better than one loud blast from a .357 you have to pull out of recoil, blinded if in low light and that's if you don't drop the piece to hold your ears from the blast. A snubby that's chambered for a .357 is certainly nice and strong but probably not better for the immediate job.

because you might set your target on fire?

:)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The Ruger LCR is fantastic as a carry gun. It can safely slide into a pocket with virtually no fear of a negligent discharge, be carried AIWB, or in a more conventional IWB or OWB holster.

Replace the grip with an upgrade.

Get a couple of quality speed loaders for it and you're all set.

I shot a .357 pocket gun once.....for 2 rounds. Nopety, nope, nope. That was worse than shooting a .500SW.

I agree that the .38spl in a snub revolver is the most to go with.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That's probably going to be the final two. I've watched a bunch of YouTube reviews on them and seems like both have advantages and disadvantages vs the other.

Ruger:
    Lighter weight
    Better grips
    Smoother trigger

S&W:
    Smaller size
    Lower price
    Better factory sights

My 442 had an action job. Trigger is smooth as silk. Better than LCR factory trigger. No graininess like LCR. I could be wrong, but I don't think the LCR design lends itself well to an action job, not like S&W anyway.

I put the S&W rosewood grips on my 442. Makes it even smaller (thinner). In real life, the weight difference between the two is trivial when both guns are loaded.

I still like the LCR. I think the 442 is better for CCW, though, especially with potent self-defense ammo. My 442 kicks bad enough with .38Spl 158gr SWCHP. The LCR being lighter makes it worse, as with S&W 340 PD.

My advice: The reviews mean nothing until you get a feel for both of them in person, ideally incuding dry fire and live fire.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    1950s colt cobra. Light, 6 rds, small, non +p. Nostalgic.
    1950s s&w nickel, little heavier, little smaller, 5 shot, non +p. Nostalgic.
    S&w 642 light, 5 shot, +p. Laser lite, more comfortable but bulkier grip.
    All slip into jacket pocket, all disappear in owb holster under a shirt.
    Have never tried a 3”, would like to.
    All that said, i have less confidence in any one of these than a G 43 with an easier trigger, a longer sight radius and 7 rds. Maybe because i don’t shoot them as much.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    S&w 642 light, 5 shot, +p. Laser lite, more comfortable but bulkier grip.

I tried hard to like a laser grip on my 642. Went back to thin rubber grips. Laser grip is too bulky. It's awkward shape and feel screws up my accuracy. It tends to focus my attention on the laser dot, making me too lazy with shooting stance and overall technique.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Go to a range that has a few snubbies you can rent and see which ones you like.

There's no substitute for actually shooting the guns to see which one you will carry. It's worthless sitting at home if it ends up being too big & heavy to carry or too light and painful to shoot.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I tried hard to like a laser grip on my 642. Went back to thin rubber grips. Laser grip is too bulky. It's awkward shape and feel screws up my accuracy. It tends to focus my attention on the laser dot, making me too lazy with shooting stance and overall technique.
    The thought with the laser was help with the follow up shots. See where its pointing with a visual assistance. Might be too much to think about.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The thought with the laser was help with the follow up shots. See where its pointing with a visual assistance. Might be too much to think about.

In real life, it doesn't help, not for me anyway. Takes focus off of the target and there's a loss of situational awareness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom