• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    PLEASE,,,, err on side of caution make sure dogs get to vet and you see a physician

The dogs are going to be checked at the vet this afternoon and get rabies booster shots. The County Health Dept called and said that we do not need to go to the doctors and they are not going to test the fox for rabies since it had no human contact.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I hope all is ok with you and your dogs. As others have said, a normal fox would want no part of a tussle with a Mastiff. My Italian Mastiff (Cane Corso) chased a fox out of my yard a few weeks ago. The fox ran as fast as it could.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should see your doctor. Any contact with the dogs could result in rabies being transmitted to humans. My daughter had to get the shots when she was 4 years old because she had contact with puppies that ended up having rabies. No bites or scratches on her, but was told she was still at risk for infection without the shots. Not worth taking the risk.

This is what I was alluding to in my above post. Rabies can be transferred by the saliva and is viable 2 days outside of a host IIRC. Animal Control in AACo must have asked me 20 times if I touched a racoon I contained for them to pick up (I did not, I used a crab net and then left the crab net in the sun for several days).

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    BTW, did anybody else think this thread was about something else from the title, "Morning Surprise!"?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My old man had a fox do the same thing with his dog a few years ago. The fox was acting up and on the dog so he grabbed his driver out of his bag by the door and clubbed it to death.

When he did it, some of the blood from the fox or the dog (health folks weren't sure) got on his face so he needed to be quarantined so couldnt go to the base or be around any people until testing was complete and they were sure no transmission occured.
    Man he was freeakin pissed.

That's terrible using a driver on a fox!

Always use a wood...:brows:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I thought ridgebacks were bred not to attack lions but to charge as a group and pull off, keeping the lion pinned for the hunter. Makes a good watch dog without the liability of attack.

I’m no expert, that was shared by a Ridge back owner.

Yes they were bred for hunting the lions in a pack and harrying them until they were treed or exhausted. My experience is that they are are excellent guard dogs but not watch dogs- he never barked. Just pounced. Our Ridgeback had an off the charts prey drive. He would go after anything small (or medium) in the yard. One day when coming home from a walk he was in the far back of my Explorer. Inexplicably there was a Canada Goose just sitting in our driveway. By the time I processed what I was seeing he had jumped over onto the middle seat, launched himself out the open window and came within inches of bringing down the goose who was just getting airborne.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Yes they were bred for hunting the lions in a pack and harrying them until they were treed or exhausted. My experience is that they are are excellent guard dogs but not watch dogs- he never barked. Just pounced. Our Ridgeback had an off the charts prey drive. He would go after anything small (or medium) in the yard. One day when coming home from a walk he was in the far back of my Explorer. Inexplicably there was a Canada Goose just sitting in our driveway. By the time I processed what I was seeing he had jumped over onto the middle seat, launched himself out the open window and came within inches of bringing down the goose who was just getting airborne.

I had a Ridgeback for 14 years. Great Dogs, Very Protective and alert.
    Mine even bite the mailman when he entered the garage to leave a package .
    He was very alert with other animals. He chased everything from Squirrels to snakes to butterflies. The Fox may have been in heat and looking for a place to bed.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I had a Ridgeback for 14 years. Great Dogs, Very Protective and alert.
    Mine even bite the mailman when he entered the garage to leave a package .
    He was very alert with other animals. He chased everything from Squirrels to snakes to butterflies. The Fox may have been in heat and looking for a place to bed.

Best dog ever. Unfortunately I only had mine for 9 years until he succumbed to bone cancer. He’s been gone a year now and I still miss him every day.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Animal control picked it up. 45 day quarantine for the dogs. Looks like a trip to the vet for a rabies booster. No bites on either dog so should be ok.

No matter whether your dog was bitten or scratched by the fox. If your dogs made casual contact with the fox, any saliva transfer during sniffing, is enough to cause infection. Getting a rabies booster and the 45 day quarantine is the only way to prevent and insure your dogs are free from infection. Also check your yard for any saliva patches that may still be present from the fox and if found, wash down with a garden hose sprayer and strong soap solution. In addition to bites, most cases of rabies transfer from infected wild animals to domesticated cats and dogs is through saliva transfer. In the wild, saliva transfer from infected animal to dead animal kills to another live animal is the most prevalent transfer of the disease.

One other piece of advise for those who live in an area frequented by wild life, (many of us do): Do not leave pet food or water bowls out over night as that is when most wild life such as raccoon, possum, feral cats, and fox forage for food. If a rabies infected animal feeds or drinks from a pet bowl, there is a chance, that your domesticated pet could pick up rabies or other diseases, through saliva transfer.

Just some food for thought.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    The dogs are going to be checked at the vet this afternoon and get rabies booster shots. The County Health Dept called and said that we do not need to go to the doctors and they are not going to test the fox for rabies since it had no human contact.

That is total bull shit... That fox should be tested and you should contact your family doctor.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    That is total bull shit... That fox should be tested and you should contact your family doctor.

I read this entire thread just to say the same thing Fred says.

Think about it, two months ago the WHO and CDC said masks are useless. Look around at us all now...

As Reagan so correctly put it, I’m from the government and I’m here to help is a scary thing indeed. You should call your own trusted doctor and vet while leaning on AACO to have that fox tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom