March 1st through October 31st
    Sunday: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
    Monday: 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM
    Tuesday through Saturday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM

November 1st through February 29th
    Sunday and Monday: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
    Tuesday through Saturday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Exception to the Monday Hours
    If Monday is a State Holiday, the Range will open at 9:00 AM and close at the times listed above.
    Monday Holidays:
    2008: 1/21/08, 2/18/08, 5/26/08, 9/1/08, 10/13/08
    2009: 1/19/09, 2/16/09/ 5/25/09, 9/7/09, 10/12/09
    The Range is closed during the Deer Firearms Season that begins the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range Rules​

ALL RANGES
    1. A Myrtle Grove WMA Shooting Range Permit is required for all users age 18 and older.
    2. Users under 18 years old must have a Hunter Safety Certificate and be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older who has a valid Range Permit.
    3. Alcohol and Drugs are prohibited at all times.
    4. Persons under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs are prohibited on the ranges.
    5. Firearms capable of discharging more than one round with a single trigger pull are prohibited. (Fully automatic)
    6. Use of eye and ear protection is required.
    7. Shooting time is restricted to one (1) hour when others are waiting.
    8. Range users are required to retrieve and remove all trash, targets and spent shells. Trashcans are provided at each range.
    9. Organized competitive shooting is prohibited.
    10. Shooting permitted only from designated shooting stations.

100 Yard Range
    1. All targets must be attached to the target frames provided and placed down range within the guides provided. (See target frame use explanation)
    2. Target frames must be returned to the shooting table when you are finished.
    3. Only paper or cardboard targets may be used.
    4. No shooting at or attaching targets to baffles or support posts.
    5. One shooter allowed per table, one table per shooter. 8 shooters maximum at any one time.
    6. No loaded firearms behind or foreword of shooting area.
    7. Rate of fire is limited to 1 round per second.
    8. Any shooter may request a cease fire at any time.
    9. The line will be called "Hot" only by consensus of all shooters.
    10. All firearms are to be unloaded with breech or action open when shooters are down range. Handling of firearms is prohibited while anyone is down range.
    11. Firearms may only be loaded while the range is "Hot", including loading a charge in a muzzleloader.
    12. Muzzleloader caps may only be fired when.the range is "Hot"

TRAP RANGE:
    1. Shooting is permitted at thrown clay targets only. Shooting at stationary targets is prohibited,
    2. All shooting and target throwing must take place from behind the wooden timbers.
    3. Shotguns with shot only are allowed. Shot sizes larger than T (.20") are prohibited. Slugs and Buckshot are prohibited.
    4. Only one "party" of shooters permitted at any time on the range.
    5. Possession of handguns or rifles on the trap range is prohibited.

ARCHERY RANGE:
    1. Maximum of one shooter at each shooting location.
    2. Maximum of two people on the elevated platform at any one time.
    3. Sand butt target backstops are provided.
    4. Only paper or cardboard targets may be used on the sand backstops.
    5. Shooters may use other archery targets (e.g. 3-D, foam block, etc.) that must be located in front of the existing sand targets if desired. (Other targets must be supplied by the shooter)

Apr 15, 2008
    Lexington Park
    I'm new to the area and am planning my first trip to Myrtle Grove. I see in the regulations that targets must be affixed to the stands provided for the 100 yard range. Is there a separate pistol range, or does everybody share the 100 yard range? If so, are the target holders stationary, or do I need to bring my own to shoot closer than 100 yards? Thanks for any guidance.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I was just out there.

They have target holders onsite now (bring clothespins or binder clips)

You can set them at any range.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    There are usaully a good bunch of guys down there- after a dozen or so visits I've never met a Yahoo.

It's up to the shooters to police each other. Usually somebody asks for a cease fire and everyone agrees, then a loud "Cease fire! the range is cold!" is called, and everyone goes about there business. A clear "Range is hot!" is declared when everyone is safe and ready to resume.

There is one guy there who is a wealth of knowledge- he taught my wifes uncle how to field strip his Mauser bolt on the spot. He gave me some great pointers on the differences between shooting a revolver and a semi auto, and to top it all off, he sounds just like Dan Ackroyd, with the sideburns to boot...

Dave

Last edited:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    There are usaully a good bunch of guys down there- after a dozen or so visits I've never met a Yahoo.

It's up top the shooters to police each other. Usually somebody asks for a cease fire and everyone agress, then a loud "Cease fire! the range is cold!" is called, and everyone goes about there business. A clear "Range is hot!" is declared when everyone is safe and ready to resume.

There is one guy there who is a wealth of knowledge- he taught my wifes uncle how to field strip his mauser bolt on the spot. He gave me some great pointers on the differences between shooting a revolver and a semi auto, and to top it all off, he sounds just like Dan Ackroyd, with the sideburns to boot...

Dave

Thanks for the info. Gonna have to get the permit and try it out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    <bump>

Just a note from Dan (DNR Range Officer at Myrtle Grove) from this weekend (July's Myrtle Grove Meet & Clean). As of July 1st 2010, no incendiary, tracers or any armor piercing ammos (hardened steel core penetrating ammo) are allowed. All targets must be inside the orange mesh that are on the the stands. Shotshells are only allowed for "pattern" testing at the rifle/handgun range, no hip shooting or "blind" shooting. Only one target and one shot at an appropriate distance (there were few instances that the stands has been shot to pieces). If you want to function test your shotgun or "get the feeling of how it shoots" with shotshells, use the trap range. Slugs are the only appropriate rounds to be used at the rifle/hangun range.

Also when placing the stand, make sure you place it away from the columns. Gun safety rule #4, "Be Sure of Your Target and what lies beyond it" (dont shoot at the columns).

If you do encounter an unsafe shooter, please do talk to them. If they are being uncooperative, the number for DNR police is on the little RSO hut. As always.. keep it safe and enjoy the day!

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/myrtlegrove.asp

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Armor Piercing , I assume is equal to steel penetrating , just like an assault rifle is a machinegun and all AR15's / AKs fall into that category

but seriously,

Armor Piercing Ammunition refers to a projectile or projectile core which is used in a handgun/ gun/ rifle. It is usually constructed from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium. It has a penetrator that is enclosed within a softer jacket. It is used to penetrate hardened armored targets such as ballistic vests, vehicle armor, concrete, tanks, and other defenses. Armor-piercing ammunition can range from rifle- and pistol-caliber rounds all the way up to tank rounds. It does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.[ 18 U.S.C.]

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Except that both M193 and M855 are not defined as Armor Piercing, but they sure as shit penetrate steel.

From what Dan was saying, no steel core rounds, including some cheap AK rounds with mild steel cores.

If it attracts a magnet, don't use it.

FMJ lead core M193 type stuff is fine.

Point being, some dickwad was concentrating fire on one of the supports until they finally busted through the beam (rubber, steel plate, 8x8 pressure treated beam).:sad20:

BTW, I'm glad they're tightening up again on the bird shot. Tired of going to the range and seeing the webbing all shot to shit.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    From what Dan was saying, no steel core rounds, including some cheap AK rounds with mild steel cores.

Point being, some dickwad was concentrating fire on one of the supports until they finally busted through the beam (rubber, steel plate, 8x8 pressure treated beam).:sad20:

BTW, I'm glad they're tightening up again on the bird shot. Tired of going to the range and seeing the webbing all shot to shit.

thanks scar and guthook for more details.. i was in a rush writing the addition earlier.. :thumbsup:

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.

If someone is dick enough to do that, they'll be a dick enough to use the right ammo to do it. I've got 3k rounds of M855/Adcom, and 3k rounds of Radway and it's going to get shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom