How long before Ruger SR1911 avail. in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    A little FYI; this is a new platform for Ruger and we all know what happens about 50% of the time when Ruger comes out with something new........... Do you wanna' buy before or after the recall?

Good point. I keep trying to remind myself of this, but a beautiful and affordable 1911 is tempting. If I'm lucky, it will take the Roster Board a long-time to approve this one.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    May be a dumb question...

Why wouldn't manufacturers automatically submit new products to the handgun board (and the similar incarnations in other states)?

As far as I know, only CA, MA and MD require handguns to be approved for sale, however several states, like MN, do have a test for frame melting point.

In CA and MA, only a manufacturer can submit a handgun for testing. In MD, anyone can. You, me a dealer or the gun's maker or importer.

If the population and potential number of gun buyers in MD was 2x or 3x what it is, some of the gun makers might be active in getting new handguns approved. As it is, most of the new guns are submitted by local stocking dealers.

For those who think buying online is the best, as your internet dealer how many times they have submitted a new handgun for approval in MD. Also ask those internet shops if they have their ATF 07 license and know the MD laws about providing a legal fired casing for MD buyers.
    Something

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The Roster lists "1911" and "1911SC". To me, it would look as if any S&W 1911 in .45ACP or 9mm, is legal. The way the S&W's are listed is almost as good as how the SA 1911s are listed.

The way things are listed drives me nuts. A base Wilson is legal, but the custom made Wilson, that costs 2x isn't listed by name, so it isn't OK. Now because someone was creative and got "1911A1" approved for SA guns, any SA 1911 marked "1911A1" is approved.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    No response yet from the handgun board BUT the next meeting will be June 21. If the Ruger 1911 hasn't already been submitted, then someone would have to get the gun and the completed forms to the handgun board I think by the first week of June, so the gun can be reviewed and tested in time for the meeting.

Leroi

Feb 16, 2011
    The SR1911 has been submitted, I talked with a person on the Board. The next meeting is June 21 and the first Maryland Register to go out after that will be August 12th. After 30 days with no serious contentions, which there wont be, we will be able to buy. So buy date will be September 30th. Plus 7 days wait. I cant wait to get one of these bad boys

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The SR1911 has been submitted, I talked with a person on the Board. The next meeting is June 21 and the first Maryland Register to go out after that will be August 12th. After 30 days with no serious contentions, which there wont be, we will be able to buy. So buy date will be September 30th. Plus 7 days wait. I cant wait to get one of these bad boys

You can buy the first version, I'll wait until next February or so, when they are 100%.

Thanks for checking with the board.

BTW, for the 1911 novices considering this gun, please buy quality mags and make sure you know where to put lube on the 1911.

If you are looking for mags, any magazine meant for a "Government Model" will work.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I've got several Rugers, and I'm about as pleased as I can be with them. Their last couple of recalls however, have made me join others in the "I'll wait 'till the recall" thought. It doesn't take much to give a good company a bad reputaion. I really hope they get this one right the first time.

I also want to wait and see if they come out with versions, like a Commander sized model.

MH

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Ruger should have stuck with what they do really well, beefy revolvers and .22 target pistols.

Might be right. Saw and handled one out in Pittsburg at the NRA show. Rumor had it the "first" ones had a bit of a problem...like they fire if dropped.

Mind you,, that was a RUMOR, but the initial offering was delayed while Ruger
    "fixed the problem"

I dunno....

R

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Might be right. Saw and handled one out in Pittsburg at the NRA show. Rumor had it the "first" ones had a bit of a problem...like they fire if dropped.

Mind you,, that was a RUMOR, but the initial offering was delayed while Ruger
    "fixed the problem"

I dunno....

R

Well, most 1911 style pistols will fire if they land a certain way, unless they have a firing pin block or safety. Springfield Armory uses a Titanium firing pin and a heavy firing pin spring, to help prevent this without using a firing pin safety.

The Ti firing pin is very light and the spring is very heavy. In theory, only a deliberate hit from the hammer should give the firing pin enough energy to be able to impact the primer and cause it to go off.

Kimber and S&W use or have used a different firing pin safety system, than Colts' "Series 80". The system Kimber and S&W have used is called Schwartz design or system. (Excuse me if I misspelled Schwartz)

Well, most 1911 style pistols will fire if they land a certain way, unless they have a firing pin block or safety. Springfield Armory uses a Titanium firing pin and a heavy firing pin spring, to help prevent this without using a firing pin safety.

The Ti firing pin is very light and the spring is very heavy. In theory, only a deliberate hit from the hammer should give the firing pin enough energy to be able to impact the primer and cause it to go off.

Kimber and S&W use or have used a different firing pin safety system, than Colts' "Series 80". The system Kimber and S&W have used is called Schwartz design or system. (Excuse me if I misspelled Schwartz)

Ok, but it's still a ruger and will be going back to the mothership at some point. Their track record is abominable.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ok, but it's still a ruger and will be going back to the mothership at some point. Their track record is abominable.

I am not debating that. I was just pointing out that most 1911's might discharge if dropped the right way with a round in the chamber.

It seems like there are a lot of 1911 novices looking for their first one, maybe because of the centennial or perhaps they have matured as gun owners or maybe the economy now allows them to buy a new platform.

Well, at least my GP100 hasn't needed to go back home. Of course, it is almost 10 years old.

I am not debating that. I was just pointing out that most 1911's might discharge if dropped the right way with a round in the chamber.

It seems like there are a lot of 1911 novices looking for their first one, maybe because of the centennial or perhaps they have matured as gun owners or maybe the economy now allows them to buy a new platform.

Well, at least my GP100 hasn't needed to go back home. Of course, it is almost 10 years old.

And ruger was doing what it did best when they made your GP. Beefy revolvers and .22 target pistols AND 10/22s

Moreover, if I was going to buy a 1911 it would not be a ruger. In that price area - i'd grab a sig. Caspian makes the frame and slide as i recall.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I've got several Rugers, and I'm about as pleased as I can be with them. Their last couple of recalls however, have made me join others in the "I'll wait 'till the recall" thought. It doesn't take much to give a good company a bad reputaion. I really hope they get this one right the first time.

I also want to wait and see if they come out with versions, like a Commander sized model.

MH

I saw a viseo from a Ruger rep about it they are planning on other models . If i can find the video Ill post it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom