• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I thought all the folks who were having problems with Fobus holsters were doing something wrong, since mine was working perfectly fine. Turns out my "Fobus" Glock holster is in fact a Safariland holster :o . I just got a Fobus holster last night for my CZ-75. It even has CZ molded into it! It is extremely tight fitting, enough where I'm struggling clearing the pistol out of the holster. The "retention" system is ridiculous, and there's no way to loosen it since the parts that hold the pistol in are riveted together :mad54: It looks like I'll need to do some filing to get the retention system wide enough to let me holster and unholster the pistol without dislocating my shoulder.

Jim

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If you intent to use the CZ for home defense or serious competition I'd recommend you just buy a better holster rather than trying to polish a turd.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I see it as more of a project than anything else. Yes, I'll be getting a better holster for IDPA. I just have a hard time believing the Israelis came up with this and expect it to work.

Jim

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i started out in uspsa and idpa using the fobus. holy cow did i have to yank the gun to get it to come out. RO politely suggested i get something else. the holster did always stay in place though.

i haven't tried it yet, but have been told to just drill out the rivets and put a spacer (eg, a washer) in between to open it up a little. they should just do a retention screw like bladetech, but of course bladetech is some 2x the price of the fobus.

still using the fobus double mag holder though when doing idpa, works fine and easy to put on and take off. other than super super strong retention, didn't see anything wrong quality-wise with the holster.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The retention system is a joke on this thing. Basically, holstering the gun spreads the bottom of the holster apart to allow the trigger guard in and out. Yeah, I'm out $25. I think the Safariland holster will be my next purchase. I'm hoping to get out to the Pistol 1 class at CCJA at the beginning of June and if I can't get my P16-40 back from the smith by then, I'll be needing my CZ and a holster for it.

Jim

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I have a fobus. it stays put. it works for me. it was cheap.

I do not mean to be insulting, but I found my fobus to be a little hard to draw from at first, but then I read that it's designed to be drawn from a certain angle (i'm not explaining this well). Once I figured out 'the trick' i've not had any issues at all drawing from it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Storm40,

This is the only holster I've ever had this kind of problem with. The Safariland paddle holster I had for a Glock 35 has a similar retention system, but I was able to draw and holster it without issue. I used Google and found that this is a common issue, but the correct draw and a break in period should fix it. I'm getting a paddle holster for it anyway, but I'll keep playing with this one. Thanks for the tip!

Jim

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I had a Fobus for a Glock and the retention was ridiculous. Just slide the gun slowly in until it reaches the toughest point, before letting off tension (locking), then use wife's blow dryer on high heat and hold close and around trigger guard area. The plastic will soften and the retention will ease up when you let it cool with the gun at that point.
    A little silly to have to do it...but it works.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a fobus. it stays put. it works for me. it was cheap.

I do not mean to be insulting, but I found my fobus to be a little hard to draw from at first, but then I read that it's designed to be drawn from a certain angle (i'm not explaining this well). Once I figured out 'the trick' i've not had any issues at all drawing from it.

Okay, tried it out again. Yes it does just pop out if you pull it just right. However, pulling it just right while wearing it is not going to work with me unless I strap down the bottom of the holster to my leg. As soon as I draw, the gun and holster cant in towards me, so I can't just draw it straight up. This with a heavy holster belt, too.

Jim

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I had a Fobus for a Glock and the retention was ridiculous. Just slide the gun slowly in until it reaches the toughest point, before letting off tension (locking), then use wife's blow dryer on high heat and hold close and around trigger guard area. The plastic will soften and the retention will ease up when you let it cool with the gun at that point.
    A little silly to have to do it...but it works.

I'm gonna give this a try. First two models I bought worked fine, third one is so tight that it's unusable. Thanks for the tip.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just an update. I got a Safariland holster yesterday. Much better! I should have gotten this one first, since the two holsters are roughly the same price. Wore it around the house and when I walked the dogs. Not really a concealment holster, but my CZ isn't my carry gun! My fiancee and I are going to Blue Ridge tomorrow for some shooting, so I'll see if I can sign up for their June IDPA match while I'm there.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom