• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I wonder if the NRA has some kind of program set up to help this sort of thing.

They won't help MD in the courts, at least they can take our money to help fund and grow the shooting sports in our state with a loan. [Which is our(MD) money lent to us(MD) which we(MD) would repay with interest.]

I know, I'm bitter.:D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I wonder if the NRA has some kind of program set up to help this sort of thing.

They won't help MD in the courts, at least they can take our money to help fund and grow the shooting sports in our state with a loan. [Which is our(MD) money lent to us(MD) which we(MD) would repay with interest.]

I know, I'm bitter.:D

public range yes.. privately own.. no.

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=3933

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Start-Up Capital?

The $2-3M start-up estimate actually seems pretty realistic to me. As with most businesses, the surest way to fail is to undercapitalize and start-up on a shoestring budget. It's good that GunAddict is being businesslike and realistic in regards to funding requirements.

Many of the folks within the shooting community are not averse to dropping $1K+ on a pistol or more on a rifle. I suspect that they would not be averse to paying an initial membership fee to help start-up this range idea.

Personally, I would be readily willing to pay an up-front membership fee of $1K+. I assume that such a membership would likely convey some premium privileges such as special members-only shooting hours, possible discounts on merchandise or daily range-fees, etc. I also recognize that GunAddict would need this seed-money up front, probably at least a year before the range actually opens.

I wonder what kind of up-front membership fees the rest of the folks on this thread might be willing to pony-up in support of this idea. Perhaps such information can help GunAddict with his business plan and/or loan application.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    The $2-3M start-up estimate actually seems pretty realistic to me. As with most businesses, the surest way to fail is to undercapitalize and start-up on a shoestring budget. It's good that GunAddict is being businesslike and realistic in regards to funding requirements.

Many of the folks within the shooting community are not averse to dropping $1K+ on a pistol or more on a rifle. I suspect that they would not be averse to paying an initial membership fee to help start-up this range idea.

Personally, I would be readily willing to pay an up-front membership fee of $1K+. I assume that such a membership would likely convey some premium privileges such as special members-only shooting hours, possible discounts on merchandise or daily range-fees, etc. I also recognize that GunAddict would need this seed-money up front, probably at least a year before the range actually opens.

I wonder what kind of up-front membership fees the rest of the folks on this thread might be willing to pony-up in support of this idea. Perhaps such information can help GunAddict with his business plan and/or loan application.

$1k for a "special" privilege membership where I can draw from a holster, shoot as many rounds in a second as I want, and possible member-only shoot hours, yea, I'd sign up to that...but I wouldn't want to sign up to that if there's a chance the range wouldn't come to fruition and I'd be $1k poorer.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    $1k for a "special" privilege membership where I can draw from a holster, shoot as many rounds in a second as I want, and possible member-only shoot hours, yea, I'd sign up to that...but I wouldn't want to sign up to that if there's a chance the range wouldn't come to fruition and I'd be $1k poorer.

+1 :thumbsup:

spartan2250

Big Boss Mann
    Sounds awsome. I am in Charles Co. and there are a bunch of guys that would be looking to join such a facility (even with a 30+ min. drive). I work for the Sheriff's Office and would be glad to spread the word for you here.
    Membership should not go over $200 per year and people must be allowed to bring their own ammo.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    We'd plunk down $100 x3 and drive down from AA 4 or 5 times a year ...

I'd be pleased to see a 300 yard range in the future

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think it might be wise to consider a staged range program in order to keep startup costs down. Build a pistol range, use the profits to build a rifle range, etc. Start small - right now, you would be the only game in town. Don't gold-plate the requirements.

As to cost, I don't see an annual membership being cheap. Any range/club with a mortgage seems to have annual dues on the order of $400/year.

With respect to startup money, I'd think about incorporating and selling shares. That way, people paying money up front have a reasonable hope of getting something back if the business fails.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Death and Taxes

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
    -- The Works of Benjamin Franklin, 1817

Not to speak for GunAddict, but I would imagine that the start-up funding could be packaged either as conditionally-transferrable memberships, or as shares in a formally-chartered corporation. Either would permit sale/transfer, but NEITHER would guarantee that the members/investors would recover 100% of their money.

Is it reasonable for us to expect that GunAddict (or, as is more likely, his bank) will accept ALL of the financial risk associated with this admittedly-risky endeavor? I think not. Therefore, if we (the Southern MD Shooting Community) want this to have any chance of going forward, my opinion is that we will have to support it with something more tangible than just words on a website-thread.

Hopefully this post is not a thread-killer. :sad20:

mustang69

mustang69
    Nov 6, 2011
    Great Mills MD
    Where in st marys are you looking to build? Do you already have land? This is a huge, but awesome undertaking. If you can get th government to issue the proper permits I think you will have 99 percent of the battle won....I think if you can get it up and running the last thing you would have to worry about it peope coming.....they will flock from all over...exp if you able to put on some sanctioned rifle and pistol matches.... You will have more people showing up then you could shake a stick at

mustang69

mustang69
    Nov 6, 2011
    Great Mills MD
    idea for funding.....sell or lease investors/members a parcel of the land for x amount of dollars and if they decide to back out pr leave the parcel can be sold back to the club or to a new member....just a idea

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

I'd throw up 1K if it was actually going somewhere. Maybe offer discounted future membership dues in several years time when the club able to.

Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    I saw that you have submitted a site plan. Congratulations, please let me [us] know if there's anything we can do to help.

ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I'd easily pay the yearly membership dues...and then some. Keep it open to the public and it will do VERY well (especially if you have ROs to keep out the riff-raff). Save yourself the trouble and don't bother making the shelters, facility building with TVs, etc...200+ yards is your money-shot.

Good luck!

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I think I saw that the price for the property in question had recently been jacked up another $145k. Not sure what prompted that move...

I think it is due in part to two reasons:
    1) I showed interest in purchasing the property
    2) The land perked which jumps the price up

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    What's the status on this? I'm josing for a place to shoot regularly again.

Status is at a standstill until I somehow manage to get $2.5 million for start up cost :sad20:. I have seen the land in person, contacted the Dept. of Land Use, and talked to the real estate agent. Otherwise everything is pretty much set up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom