• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krief

Hillbilly Lead Slinger
    Feb 9, 2013
    W. MD
    When I lived in St. Mary's Co during the mid-late 90's, I used to frequent a gun shop on Rt 4, just north of Rt 5 outside of Leonardtown, called Southern MD Firearms. A little old fellow named Tommy Bennett ran the place and was really nice to deal with. I haven't been back to the area for quite a few years and was wondering if ol' Tommy was still around. Does anyone know?

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    I grew up a few minutes from Leonardtown, and a buddy of mine used to go thru him ten years ago or so, but I couldn't find anything on him about five years ago... Never knew what happened with him. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Krief

Hillbilly Lead Slinger
    Feb 9, 2013
    W. MD
    When I was there, he had just opened the new place there behind his house. He never did have much in stock, but could get you anything. There were always police cars there too. I bought a gun or two off him when I was there. Tom has to be getting up there in age. I know his health was kind of up and down there for a while too. But I enjoyed talking to him every time I was there.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    He stopped selling guns instore. Got robbed to many times and his health hasn't been to good to deal with It all. He can still get you anything you want though amd still carries ammo

Krief

Hillbilly Lead Slinger
    Feb 9, 2013
    W. MD
    Nothing is safe in St Mary's Co unless it's bolted down, or buried underground. Even then I some times wonder. The Tackle Box was robbed one night when I lived down there - numerous guns stolen.

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    I know his son very well, work with him on the base. As others have stated he's still doing limited business at the south end of St. Andrews Church Rd... In St Mary's.

If you don't know where it is you'll drive right by it. He has little in the "store". From what his son says he and his buddies just kinda hang out there. He stocks the things him and his buddies use... not much more than shot gun shells and a few hunting items. I hear he'll order stuff if asked... but basically he's retired and just kinda hanging with his friends.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I know his son very well, work with him on the base. As others have stated he's still doing limited business at the south end of St. Andrews Church Rd... In St Mary's.

If you don't know where it is you'll drive right by it. He has little in the "store". From what his son says he and his buddies just kinda hang out there. He stocks the things him and his buddies use... not much more than shot gun shells and a few hunting items. I hear he'll order stuff if asked... but basically he's retired and just kinda hanging with his friends.

Tell Dave, Tom from the Hole in the Wall says hi

Krief

Hillbilly Lead Slinger
    Feb 9, 2013
    W. MD
    Things have changed so much down there, I didn't hardly recognize anything the last time I was there. Lex. Park was always crazy. I know a few LEO's that work down there and they say the county is just plain nuts.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Things have changed so much down there, I didn't hardly recognize anything the last time I was there. Lex. Park was always crazy. I know a few LEO's that work down there and they say the county is just plain nuts.
    yeah,it sucks..i throw up in my mouth a little evetime i drive by all these new housing developments and stores.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    I believe he's still doing limited business at the south end of St. Andrews Church Rd.. Rt 4 is in Calvert county.

MD Rt. 4 goes from the DC line (as Pennsylvania Ave) to MD Rt. 5 (Point Lookout Rd) just south of Leonardtown. It is in St. Mary's, Calvert, Anne Arundel, and Prince George's counties.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Like others have said, the store is bare. I stop by to say hi and buy some assorted cleaning supplies (whatever is in the limited stock) just to throw a few bucks his way. Every once in a while, you can find a gun on the wall you've been looking for, but it is sheer chance. He's still a great guy and isn't particularly fond of the current administration.;)

ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I did my transfer through Tom back in 2009 when I got my first AR. Very nice guy! Unfortunately, his transfer fee for regulated firearms is $100 (didn't know any better back then). He didn't have much there...mostly shotguns, hunting rifles, and hunting accessories.

Feb 28, 2013
    I paid this fella a visit a cpl weeks back. The only thing he had was one 1927A1 Thompson in the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom