• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    I recently picked-up a nice 03A3 (looks like a older CMP re-arsenal). I noticed that the front blade was slightly bent and the rear sight was not centered (not that they always are...). The rife (bent blade and all was dead-on accurate at the range. Of course, the visual of seeing a bent blade for a sight picture bothers me. After removing the stock, I noticed that the barrel was slightly over-timed. The hash marks are just past lining-up (not much as the hash marks are still touching). So, I'm beginning to think that the front blade was bent on purpose to make up for the over-rotation of the barrel. So my question is: if I were to back-out the barrel so that the hash marks lined-up perfectly, would such a minute rotation (1 mm) be enough to change the headspace or cause other problems? I've never messed with barrel timing before so I'm hesitant to do it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Why not just straighten the front sight and make adjustments to the rear sight?

Do you even have the tools required to loosen the barrel?

To say a barrel is securely attached to a receiver is an understatement.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

Ditto and dabbling with the barrel's likely to affect (in not a good way) your head-spacing, which, for a 30-06, would concern me. If the slight misaligned sights bother you (it would probably bother me, too), why not have a gunsmith correct it? That way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

p.s. Have you checked the centering marks on the rear site platform to be sure the site itself isn't also off? The barrel may've been installed the way it is by the factory (for a reason) and the rear sight may've just been moved (for whatever reason). To correct, you'd need to remove the sight and locking screw and, then, tap the U-shaped platform into alignment relative to the corresponding mark on the receiver bridge.

Attachments

• sight lines.jpg
      sight lines.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 255

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville

Thanks for the idea. However, if I straighten the front blade, then I will have to even further adjust the rear sight (which is already four clicks to the left). You've convinced me to leave the barrel timing alone, that's for sure. Thanks.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A lot of them are that way. I've seen a few where the timing hash marks lined up perfectly, but the front sight was visibly canted due to the front sight key slot being milled off center. I wouldn't worry about it if the rifle zeroes properly and you have enough space left for windage adjustments.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Ditto and dabbling with the barrel's likely to affect (in not a good way) your head-spacing, which, for a 30-06, would concern me. If the slight misaligned sights bother you (it would probably bother me, too), why not have a gunsmith correct it? That way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

p.s. Have you checked the centering marks on the rear site platform to be sure the site itself isn't also off? The barrel may've been installed the way it is by the factory (for a reason) and the rear sight may've just been moved (for whatever reason). To correct, you'd need to remove the sight and locking screw and, then, tap the U-shaped platform into alignment relative to the corresponding mark on the receiver bridge.

Thanks. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't think the front sight can be adjusted left or right as it is keyed in place on the barrel, right? Your picture of the rear sight is interesting as it points out something that is missing on my rear sight assembly: the hash mark on the rear sight! The receiver hash mark is present but there is no corresponding hash mark on the sight (however, it does have the center hash mark like yours). I think what I'll do is make sure the front blade is bent straighter so it no longer drives me nuts, then I'll float the rear sight (set at zero) until the gun is on target. If I did this, would I want to stake it afterwards? Or is this idea a bad one? Thanks for helping.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I won't speak to th barrel timing but those sights get bent easily. I bought one that had a canted sight. I bent it straight and it shoots fantastic. Turns out after 70-ish years the front sight just got bent.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You could replace it with an M1903 front sight assembly, which is adjustable for windage. At the factory they were zeroed by live fire, and then the front sight was drilled for the set screw and locked in place.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't think the front sight can be adjusted left or right as it is keyed in place on the barrel, right? Your picture of the rear sight is interesting as it points out something that is missing on my rear sight assembly: the hash mark on the rear sight! The receiver hash mark is present but there is no corresponding hash mark on the sight (however, it does have the center hash mark like yours). I think what I'll do is make sure the front blade is bent straighter so it no longer drives me nuts, then I'll float the rear sight (set at zero) until the gun is on target. If I did this, would I want to stake it afterwards? Or is this idea a bad one? Thanks for helping.

If and only if you're certain the front sight is bent, then try to straighten it. If you want, post a good, clear photo of the sight positioned in front of a grid pattern and maybe we can help make the call.

Otherwise, I'd make any required alignment compensation by repositioning that U-shaped rear sight platform relative to the receiver bridge. If either the U-shaped piece or the bridge lack an alignment cut, just move the platform 'til you're happy with the overall alignment and call it a day. Alternatively, if you're neurotic like me, consider having a gunsmith take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom