• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    For the other side of the coin, I split my range time between Hap Baker and the Machine Gun Nest. I've never has a bad experience at either facility, with the RSO's being downright friendly and professional. In fact any time I've had a question I've gotten a wealth of information and managed to learn quite a bit from them. Guess I'm lucky.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    For the other side of the coin, I split my range time between Hap Baker and the Machine Gun Nest. I've never has a bad experience at either facility, with the RSO's being downright friendly and professional. In fact any time I've had a question I've gotten a wealth of information and managed to learn quite a bit from them. Guess I'm lucky.

The guys at Hap are great! Just got back from an afternoon of shooting there. As usual, they were friendly and professional. I wish it wasn't so far away though.

Tube Screamer

Jan 29, 2014
    The guys at Hap are always great. I feel like the guys at the Cresap take the approach of picking on a few random things right when you get there so you'll be extra careful for the duration. I can't say I'm perfect but I know I'm a safe shooter. Its too bad cause its right up the road.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Guys at Hap whenever I went there. Had a scope go out of whack and one of the ROs bore sighted it for me to get me back on paper.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    You want poor behavior, try visiting one of the private clubs that doesn't have range staff. Most of the time it's fine, but every once in awhile you get that one guy that just can't mind his own business. I don't care if you were at Ft Benning in '74, it doesn't make you an authority on every shooting topic.

Our private club polices itself. One unsafe act gets you a warning, twice and your told to leave, period. We don't mess around with peoples safety at all.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Same here. I went twice years ago, and have never gone back. Before Freestate came to be, I would drive down to On Target, not that their much better.

Avoid On Target as we have for the past ten years. Not enough supervision there and will never set foot inside again. And, I had an individual tell me how he was followed home from On Target and his firearms stolen from him. Have no way to verify that story, but no reason to think the guy would fib either.

Lew--Ranger63

Last edited:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    At LRSTC, we provided RSO classes to members. Classes were free if you promised to commit to a certain number of hours service. After your full commitment is done, RSOs get free rounds in lieu of pay. I think we have about 25 NRA certified RSOs at this point.
    The head RSO sets the schedule around the busiest days. The RSOs patrol the fields and also instruct where necessary.
    LRSTC is a shotgun only venue with 8 fields for Trap, Skeeet and 5-stand.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    At LRSTC, we provided RSO classes to members. Classes were free if you promised to commit to a certain number of hours service. After your full commitment is done, RSOs get free rounds in lieu of pay. I think we have about 25 NRA certified RSOs at this point.
    The head RSO sets the schedule around the busiest days. The RSOs patrol the fields and also instruct where necessary.
    LRSTC is a shotgun only venue with 8 fields for Trap, Skeeet and 5-stand.

Great policy!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Avoid On Target as we have for the past ten years. Not enough supervision there and will never set foot inside again. And, I had an individual tell me how he was followed home from On Target and his firearms stolen from him. Have no way to verify that story, but no reason to think the guy way lying either.

Lew--Ranger63

Wife's coworker was followed from Maryland small arms range for 17 miles. Stopped on the way home and his vehicle window was broken and firearms were stolen. Off duty LEO gave a description of the thief's vehicle and it was matched to one on video leaving the parking lot when he did at MSAR. Lucky he did not drive direct to his residence. This story is verified.

Watch your back.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Our private club polices itself. One unsafe act gets you a warning, twice and your told to leave, period. We don't mess around with peoples safety at all.

If these guys were actually talking about safety, I'd be fine with them. But it's just a different blowhard every time. They like to tell you all about how the AR is crap, or you don't know how to shoot, or you're using the wrong brand or caliber, or he's some sort of ex-short-bus-special-forces member but he can't talk about what he's done.

It's nice having a cheap range out in the country, but some days are better than others.

Feb 28, 2013
    If these guys were actually talking about safety, I'd be fine with them. But it's just a different blowhard every time. They like to tell you all about how the AR is crap, or you don't know how to shoot, or you're using the wrong brand or caliber, or he's some sort of ex-short-bus-special-forces member but he can't talk about what he's done.

It's nice having a cheap range out in the country, but some days are better than others.

I'll listen to what somebody like that may have to say if their advice has some beneficial effect on my shootin'.

But if'n all they can do is criticize without a solution, I'll tell 'em to git ****ed in a heartbeat.:cool:

Jan 12, 2016
    Central MD
    Avoid On Target as we have for the past ten years. Not enough supervision there and will never set foot inside again. And, I had an individual tell me how he was followed home from On Target and his firearms stolen from him. Have no way to verify that story, but no reason to think the guy would fib either.

Lew--Ranger63

Good to know... Have been there but only to rent/try-out.

Always watch your back... sadly.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md

That sounds brutal.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    OnTarget had a ND in their showroom this past weekend.

A guy was at the counter and showed the clerk his .380. Locked the slide back, got the OK, then inserted the mag, dropped the slide, and

wait for it...

PULLED THE TRIGGER.

"UM, SIR, we are gonna ask you to leave..:sad20:

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA

A guy was at the counter and showed the clerk his .380. Locked the slide back, got the OK, then inserted the mag, dropped the slide, and

wait for it...

PULLED THE TRIGGER.

My boss was there when that happened. He said it hit the ground right in front of where he was standing with his nephew.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

wait for it...

PULLED THE TRIGGER.

How many more issues is this place going to have before they are shut down? What a train wreck they are.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've seen some exciting RSO action here lately somewhere you'd least expect it.

This one was so ridicilous and out of the ordinary the guy who was (supposedly) doing something wrong stood there with a completely dumbfounded look on his face. I also RSO there but was only causally watching from back about 30 feet from the firing line.

I chuckled,.... know both the RSO and non-offender offender pretty well.

We see situations of hyper sensitively (and incorrectly calling people on for non-infraction infractions). Of course, the number of idiots still outweigh the false calling outs.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom