• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Can anyone recommend a S&W gunsmith in the Gaithersburg/Rockville area? I recently purchased an older model 681 that would benefit from having an expert look at it. I have not shot it yet, but am concerned a bit with how the cylinder is locking up, potential endshake, etc....thanks in advance....snakep.

NIS74

Apr 15, 2016
    Walt Frear -Triggerdoctor.com. He is in Monrovia. He just fixed up my Model 28 had same problems. Just to let you know he is backed up so it may take couple of weeks to get a gun done.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What's giing on? Are you checking the revolver in full lockup AFTER the trigger has been pressed and the hammer is forward?

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    What's giing on? Are you checking the revolver in full lockup AFTER the trigger has been pressed and the hammer is forward?

It is an older S&W 581 and I believe the problem might be cylinder endshake and/or maybe yoke endplay. I'm going to take measurements, take it apart and insert cylinder/or yoke bearings to see if that fixes the problem...also going to replace the ejector rod as I noted a little bit of runout. if that does not work I'll take it to a smith.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    It is an older S&W 581 and I believe the problem might be cylinder endshake and/or maybe yoke endplay. I'm going to take measurements, take it apart and insert cylinder/or yoke bearings to see if that fixes the problem...also going to replace the ejector rod as I noted a little bit of runout. if that does not work I'll take it to a smith.

An ejector rod can be corrected. There is no guarantee that a replacement will be any better. They can actually bend quite easily.

NIS74

Apr 15, 2016

My had a little endshake, but it was the cylinder lock being too loose.

rukles

Apr 16, 2016
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    M&P Shield

I have a 40 M&P Shield that is shooting to the left so I'm trying to move the sight and it will not move. I've looked for videos or other information and the only thing I could find is that they are a pain to move. Is there some trick or something that I could put on it to try and assist it in moving? It's almost like they put gorilla glue on it. I did take out the set screw that's there, but it still will not move. I already put some scratches and nicks on the sight, but not sure if need to really smack on it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 40 M&P Shield that is shooting to the left so I'm trying to move the sight and it will not move. I've looked for videos or other information and the only thing I could find is that they are a pain to move. Is there some trick or something that I could put on it to try and assist it in moving? It's almost like they put gorilla glue on it. I did take out the set screw that's there, but it still will not move. I already put some scratches and nicks on the sight, but not sure if need to really smack on it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's the pistol and not the shooter?

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    I got a 686 once that was too tight and used a yoke reamer to fix it. As much as I love S&W, I find a lot of variance in the newer guns, which explains why I tend to go toward the older ones.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Update: holding the cylinder to the rear I measured the distance between the cylinder and the forcing cone of the barrel..it measured .009 with a feeler gauge. I added two Power Custom bearings, one .004 and one .002. Excess endshake is now gone. I also added a .002 yoke bearing as I had a small bit of movement there too which after installation the yoke now closes much tighter. All in all, I'm pleased wth my amateur gunsmithing on this S&W 681....s

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Any recommendations in the Annapolis area for a new trigger on a new M&P?

7 posts in less than 30 mins, you will be able to sell stuff in a short time, or visit the WC!
    Finding the oldest threads to post too will only add to your intrigue: I can hardly wait to see your introduction as a new member.
    Welcome to MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom