Am I The Only Person That Hates Stippling?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    Tape may be great, but there is always the risk of it coming loose at a bad time. I generally prefer a more failsafe solution. IMO, stippling often looks terrible, but can be done well; the grip effect is impressive in either case, which is what matters for a working gun.

Definitely a good idea to start with limited stippling, front and back of grip, holding off on the all-around treatment until trying out the partial. It is ideal to have a balance between friction for retention, but still being able to smoothly draw and adjust your grip.

Interesting to hear about over-aggressive jobs compromising the weapon's integrity, though. Guess any and all modifications have a bit of risk!

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I prefer grips that help exfoliate my hands while I shoot. The Talon sandpaper grips are my favorite. I do find most stippling ugly, though a couple of those pro jobs aren't bad.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm a big fan of the functionality and consider it for me a must have. It is ugly as fvck though but Glocks aren't beauty queens in stock form anyways. What sold me was at during training the instructor 'splaineded how it helps and had us all put a mix of dish soap and water on our hands and shoot 5 rounds. I could barely keep the gun controlled. Then had us repeat with his pistol that had been stippled and it was much mo'bettah. I stippled my Glock so its a very aggressive pattern but knowing better now, I would only stipple the front and rear of the grip and leave the sides alone. It tears my skin up if it's against it so I have to wear an undershirt and those get ruined quickly. Plus 80% of your grip strength is derived from your thumbs and fingers anyway.
    So.. how often do you get attacked while washing dishes? ;)

Stippling.. meh..

Proper grip is all needed to have good control.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So.. how often do you get attacked while washing dishes? ;)

Stippling.. meh..

Proper grip is all needed to have good control.

So far never, but it should definitely be an option for the women in your life.
    In all seriousness at work I have a chance of reduced grip because of chemicals (oil, transmission, power steering, brake fluids)so my grip isn't always a sure thing and stippling helps alleviate my concerns over dropping my gun.

As always tailor your equipment to your lifestlye and figure out what works for you.

I do know someone that ruined a Glock mag by stippling it. I laughed my ass off when I realized what he had done.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So far never, but it should definitely be an option for the women in your life.
    In all seriousness at work I have a chance of reduced grip because of chemicals (oil, transmission, power steering, brake fluids)so my grip isn't always a sure thing and stippling helps alleviate my concerns over dropping my gun.

As always tailor your equipment to your lifestlye and figure out what works for you.

I do know someone that ruined a Glock mag by stippling it. I laughed my ass off when I realized what he had done.

There are few occasions I see it as benefit.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    I, for one, don't do things to my investments that ensure devaluation. Kind of the same feeling I get when I see one of these:

194949632_29360c48.gif

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I don't have a problem with it, for working guns. It serves a purpose, not only against oils and sweat but blood as well is very slippery.

It does have a place though and probably should be selective on which gun it is applied to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 392

LS3Stig

Hey Jack
    Apr 13, 2016
    Silver Spring
    Im not a fan of seeing a stippling job done on the whole grip but in some cases in looks okay. In some however it looks like melted nonsense.

2400463_05_gun_stippling_grip_reduction_u_640.jpg

Example, this is not okay...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm in-terested.

Might try practicing on my own with the Glock plastic box that comes with the guns. I've read that's a good way to start.

This is a heck of an argument for guns that don't have the pistol lower registered as the firearm. Otherwise, if you really screw it up, or don't like the results, you can just buy another plastic grip and try again. This might be a $50 mistake as compared to a $500 mistake.

Chalk one up for Sig's new modular kits.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I generally like fine grainy stippling, seems to stay put as well as the big coarse jobs some do, but looks better, and won't tear my hands up. The sharp deep and repetitive "soldering iron" stippling jobs work, usually look bad, but there is a lot more out there than that. In many cases a pistol grip is reshaped to better fit a hand, removing finger grooves, changing the backstrap, or providing more clearance to controls, re-texturing the grip ends up becoming a necessary part of that. People have been customizing grip shape and texture since firearms first came around, the fit and feel is what makes a firearm your own, and nothing is more personal, or does as much to turn a firearm into an extension of yourself than customizing the grip.

CIXSb0_UwAAHIwM.jpg

10375691_196014574080926_1088045275_n.jpg

1d4a0d738267864629441f248c49ae28.jpg

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    I will claim ambivalence about stippling. The work by Robar or other pros is nice. BUT - a majority of the diy jobs aside from looking meh & usually leave the pistol damaged as the mags no longer drop free.

What really hurts my head is the guys that think their $450 G17 is now worth $600 because its stippled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom