• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've now had two outings with this rifle and am thoroughly pleased. It's sporting a Weaver Grand Slam 3-12x 44mm scope.
    6ef0c21e50b000e3775472b70fbd1153.jpg
    b921556812f03eb680215f9fda5b5c14.jpg
    35d64192b5c1d02fe720bfd17ed59f68.jpg
    c2f680c874e7e9881aad06aa41b9024b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    50 yard target, Hornady V-Max, 2nd outing

Center diamond, 5 shots by Fidelity

Bottom left diamond, 10 shots by Zzzzz_man

Squares are 1-inch
    d6d5518c632ed4e98963b078c15a20d1.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    100 yard target, Hornady V-Max, 2nd outing

Squares are 1-inch

10 shots by Fidelity
    51eafaf0c73a01980e0d2aa6df08b1c8.jpg

10 shots by Zzzzz_man
    7f02f0b663559ca111b0a3fa5645a6bb.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Nice! Like that scope too! :)

Of your 6 ammo choices pictured, curious what it's shooting best?

Looks like I was a little late there! Nice pics and nice shooting! (I didn't need to see this.)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice! Like that scope too! :)

Of your 6 ammo choices pictured, curious what it's shooting best?
    The glass is incredible. Easily as good if not better than Leupold VX-2 quality for light emission, although the Leupold has better eye relief. Same scope is on sale right now at Natchez for $250 with a $30 rebate from Weaver. What's cool for 22 WMR shooting is that it has side mounted parallax adjustment knob.

For this rifle, the 30 gr Hornady V-Max shoots best. On the first outing, was comparing the CZ 512 accuracy to a Browning T-bolt in 22 WMR, and it shot Federal (I forget which loading) very well. At 100 yards, it was a wash between both rifles, but overall the CZ was a bit more accurate in repeated groupings.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    The glass is incredible. Easily as good if not better than Leupold VX-2 quality for light emission, although the Leupold has better eye relief. Same scope is on sale right now at Natchez for $250 with a $30 rebate from Weaver. What's cool for 22 WMR shooting is that it has side mounted parallax adjustment knob.

For this rifle, the 30 gr Hornady V-Max shoots best. On the first outing, was comparing the CZ 512 accuracy to a Browning T-bolt in 22 WMR, and it shot Federal (I forget which loading) very well. At 100 yards, it was a wash between both rifles, but overall the CZ was a bit more accurate in repeated groupings.

Been wondering about that 512. Love the WMR cartridge.

What's your opinion of the factory trigger on that rifle?

I don't and never have owned a semi rimfire rifle. I do own 2 CZ 455 bolts, and they've been nothing but a pure pleasure. Liked the 17 so much that I bought the 22, since I didn't want to fool with barrel swaps. And yeah, I agree with you, and I MIGHT just have 1 or more flavors of those Weaver Grand Slams squirreled away. :)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I had a CZ 455 Trainer until recently (trading it in to get a CZ 452 American), and it had a very clean break that was probably under 3 lbs.

The 512 has travel with a 1-2 lb take up, and then maybe a 3 lb stack before it breaks. While not as clean as my 455 trigger, both Zzzzz_man and I found the 512 trigger to be very predictable. I like it better than the trigger on my Browning T-bolt that I compared it to the prior outing, which has a light, under 3 lb trigger with almost no travel.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Video reviews of the CZ 512 in 22 WMR below. The first reviewer has another video where he puts it up against 3 other 22 WMR semiautomatic rifles, and the CZ still prevails.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I had a CZ 455 Trainer until recently (trading it in to get a CZ 452 American), and it had a very clean break that was probably under 3 lbs.

The 512 has a 1-2 lb take up, and then maybe a 3 lb stack before it breaks. While not as clean as my 455 trigger, both Zzzzz_man and I found the 512 trigger to be very predictable. I like it better than the trigger on my Browning T-bolt that I compared it to the prior outing, which has a light, under 3 lb trigger.

Good to know, thanks! Love that maple Browning also! Won't be long, and it'll likely be the custom shop and an extra $100 for Leupy gloss. It's that way now once you get past the VX-2 series. Damn shame, but at least it's still available. Some rifles, the old gloss just sets them off really well.

Two real nice rifles there, enjoy!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you again for letting me try it! The CZ 512 has a nice heft to it and is a pleasure to shoot. With practice, I'm sure I could probably shrink those groups by .25 to .50" at 100 yards. The rifle is certainly capable of it even if the shooter isn't. I'm very impressed by the build-quality: solid!

I was also impressed by the Weaver glass. It was very bright and had excellent resolution/clarity.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You're quite welcome, of course. Was considering a higher magnification Weaver for the CZ, but want to take the rifle varmint hunting. Lighter weight scope seems more desirable for the field, and this scope should serve the purpose within 150 yards, which is close to where I would not want to take 22 WMR beyond. Although I haven't weighed it, by advertised specs, the whole package of rifle, rings, and scope is less than 7 lbs.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You're quite welcome, of course. Was considering a higher magnification Weaver for the CZ, but want to take the rifle varmint hunting. Lighter weight scope seems more desirable for the field, and this scope should serve the purpose within 150 yards, which is close to where I would not want to take 22 WMR beyond. Although I haven't weighed it, by advertised specs, the whole package of rifle, rings, and scope is less than 7 lbs.

It should be quite effective for that once dialed-in with the load you want to use.

The last .22 WMR rifle I shot regularly was my FIL's bolt action Marlin 783(?) during the mid 80's. He used it for pest control around his farm. As I recall, it had pretty decent iron sights and could consistently hit groundhog-size targets at 50-75 yards. I think the CZ 512 is every bit as accurate as that rifle and combined with the Weaver scope, 100-150 yard targets should easily be within its effective range.

Back when I used to have weekends off like normal people, I regularly hunted my in-law's farm in Lincoln County, WV. Varmint hunting is very addictive. I started with a Rem 581S to help dispatch small pests in the immediate area and eventually worked my way up to a Rem 700 BDL/BBL in .22-250 because it was such a target-rich environment. 22 LR was a little underpowered for the longer-distance shots that were available.

Varminting teaches valuable lessons about patience, trajectory, estimating windage and how-to lead a target that I never really got from other types of rifle shooting. I advise caution before you find yourself hooked! .22 WMR is a gateway. :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hey man, that's a nice endorsement. I got a fur bearers permit this season, so just need to find time to get out.

I've fallen for 22 WMR. I have four rifles that shoot it and want another in the future (probably a CZ bolt which will be mag compatible with the CZ 512 - but a Winchester/Browning/Henry 22 WMR pump action might be interesting too). I like how small and light the round packs - easy to take plenty in a backpack. And depending on game, it obviously has more bandwidth than 22 LR as well as a greater effective range. After the ammo crisis of the past few years, it's also available in a greater variety loadings and is somewhere between 22 LR CCI Minimags and cheap 9 mm in pricing. So I'm beginning to stockpile it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom