Help prevent me from making fellow gun owners look bad.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntmo

Nov 16, 2018
    Hagerstown, MD
    So after fighting long and hard with my fiance we are moving to maryland. I own an SKS, 410 pump shotgun and a Rossi youth rifle where you can change the barrels from a .22 to a .243 to a 20 guage. Dont own any pistols. Also i plan on buying an AR-15 lower and the can cannon upper and eventually buying a .223 upper as well.
    What I want to know is if there is anything I need to do for the guns I currently own when I move on december 1st?
    What are the laws for ar-15's in Maryland? I.e. magazine capacity, barrel length etc.
    And finally, any reliable sites i could find info like this myself for any future questions I may have. I really appreciate any help at keeping me from looking stupid.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    All your guns are fine

This website is a fantastic resource

You can own AR15s but the barrel has to be stamped or advertised as HBAR.

Get some 30 round mags before you come here. 10 plus round mags can not be bought or sold inside the state but perfectly legal to own

That’s the short version

All your guns are fine

This website is a fantastic resource

You can own AR15s but the barrel has to be stamped or advertised as HBAR.

Get some 30 round mags before you come here. 10 plus round mags can not be bought or sold inside the state but perfectly legal to own

That’s the short version

The above is correct. I would also add... Buy any anticipated handguns before moving here. To buy handguns (other than C&R) here, you need a Handgun Qualification License, which costs about $200, requires a class and fingerprints and takes a few weeks to get.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You may also find adjoining state have better taxes, lower cost of living, actually issue concealed carry permits, and your vote may count if you are anything other than a Democrat.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    So after fighting long and hard with my fiance we are moving to maryland. I own an SKS, 410 pump shotgun and a Rossi youth rifle where you can change the barrels from a .22 to a .243 to a 20 guage. Dont own any pistols. Also i plan on buying an AR-15 lower and the can cannon upper and eventually buying a .223 upper as well.
    What I want to know is if there is anything I need to do for the guns I currently own when I move on december 1st?
    What are the laws for ar-15's in Maryland? I.e. magazine capacity, barrel length etc.
    And finally, any reliable sites i could find info like this myself for any future questions I may have. I really appreciate any help at keeping me from looking stupid.

FWIW, get a new fiancé...and/or move to or stay in a free state.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The above is correct. I would also add... Buy any anticipated handguns before moving here. To buy handguns (other than C&R) here, you need a Handgun Qualification License, which costs about $200, requires a class and fingerprints and takes a few weeks to get.

Good suggestion, squaregrouer. Also, if you don't have a handgun and move here and then want one, you have to take the class and get the license. If you have a handgun when you get here you only have to get the Handgun Qualification License to buy another handgun. Good luck.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD

If you don't own handguns but would like to, it will be easier to get them pre-move. You will have to register them within 90 days (IIRC) of moving to MD, but you don't need a HQL in order to keep any existing ones you already owned. If you want to buy handguns after the move, you will need to go through the process to obtain an HQL.

AR15 - needs to be heavy barrel profile. Alternatively, piston-driven guns like the HK MR556 are also ok last I checked.

And if you do buy any handguns pre-move, you will have to register them with the State Police once you move here.

If he bought them after the move, he would still have to register them, but would also have to pay the $100-150 HQL/fingerprinting fees.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    also, non .223/5.56 AR 15s do not follow the HBAR rule. .300, Grendel, etc do not need to follow the HBAR rule.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Call off the marriage, assuming she wants to move to Maryland and you don’t. Not joking, serious. If she gets her way on this, your going to spend the next 5-10 years regretting it, then she will have 1/2 of those guns to sell off when you get divorced. Sounds rough, and I mean no disrespect, none at all.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    No one should get married so that they can be told what to do and where to go for the rest of their life.

Sour lemons... the juice just ain't worth the squeeze.

That said...

Some folks need to be told. It makes them feel secure and they never have to be responsible for making decisions.

Life is full of choices... and it is also full of failures for those who make choices without considering all available information first.

Best wishes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom