Biggs Ford Prehisitoric Village/Dig site Info?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My mother in law is participating in a scavenger hunt and she is looking for a location that is somehow related to the Biggs ford Prehistoric village/dig site within Frederick City Limits and that it is not on Biggs ford rd. She thinks she found the location of the dig site but the answer wasn't there. Does anybody know of anything around Frederick that is associated with the village/dig site, like a plaque or statue or something along those lines? She has checked Crumland farms, Homewood and some of the other areas surrounding.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    My mother in law is participating in a scavenger hunt and she is looking for a location that is somehow related to the Biggs ford Prehistoric village/dig site within Frederick City Limits and that it is not on Biggs ford rd. She thinks she found the location of the dig site but the answer wasn't there. Does anybody know of anything around Frederick that is associated with the village/dig site, like a plaque or statue or something along those lines? She has checked Crumland farms, Homewood and some of the other areas surrounding.

Based on the link cstone posted it says Retreat Road which is actually across 15 on the Walkersville side. Honestly, I've been in this area my entire life and never heard about it.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I grew up in walkersville and had never heard of this. That link looks good. Thanks guys

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Looks like the one end of Retreat Rd is within Frederick city limits.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      36.1 KB · Views: 456

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    If you look at satellite views (google maps ets) of the fields south of Biggs ford rd right past the river you'll see rectangular pits from the excavations in the corn fields.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    If you look at satellite views (google maps ets) of the fields south of Biggs ford rd right past the river you'll see rectangular pits from the excavations in the corn fields.

I see that! My fiance and her mom just made a trip out to retreat road and didn't see anything. They also swung by an archaeological museum downtown in case they had a display there referencing the dig site.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I see that! My fiance and her mom just made a trip out to retreat road and didn't see anything. They also swung by an archaeological museum downtown in case they had a display there referencing the dig site.
    I wonder if Godwin & Associates has any public displays. They're on 4th st in Frederick & they do archaeological excavations like this. I did some work there & they have a lot of artifacts on display throughout their space.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Interesting someone should put this on atlasobscura.com

Neat place. I was looking around FredCo places on there, and they had Lawyer's Mall in Thurmont. They advertise the giant car robots, which I'm pretty sure are all gone now. But they had some pictures up of them still:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lawyers-farm

I went to Google to look at the farm, and check out their corn maze! Fan of him or not, it's a pretty cool maze.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d39.5888!4d-77.379?hl=en

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Just got new hints. This sign is apparently the location. It is near a body of water and at least a 5 min walk from the nearest road.

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpg
      IMG_1813.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 216

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    She found the sign a few days ago. It was located on a trail near the Frederick National Lab for Cancer Research over by Clustered Spires Golf Course. There is a trail just south of the monocacy. Thanks for all of the help.

I learned a fair amount about that village that I didnt even know existed, and I drove by that farm 3 times a day when I lived in walkersville.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    She found the sign a few days ago. It was located on a trail near the Frederick National Lab for Cancer Research over by Clustered Spires Golf Course. There is a trail just south of the monocacy. Thanks for all of the help.

I learned a fair amount about that village that I didnt even know existed, and I drove by that farm 3 times a day when I lived in walkersville.

Are you talking about the asphalt paved trail behind the lab and Wells Fargo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom