• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wish Henry would try a loading gate on their rifles. The tube load is stupid. They make a nice gun, save for that.
    They do have lever action rifles (like Browning) with box magazines of course, for spitzer type bullets that you wouldn't want bouncing against each other in a tube.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Because it changes the cost to manufacture, just like what metals, finishes and wood that are used between price ranges.

Id pay them there whole $5 extra if that. Agreed lots of things we want add cost, probably part of Henry's issue with going to loading gates they need to figure out new geometry, tube feeds are cheap to make. Plus its similar to the original so a loading gate would mess with their branding.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For the 1860 look up the cowboy action fix to the "Henry Hop", you'll be glad you did.

For the 1873 the Ubertis have better action jobs and short stroke kits available than the Miroku/Winchesters. Again for the .357 there are issues known to cowboys and fixes. Look up OAL and magazine tube liner.

.45-70....shotgun butt or recoil pad! Trust me, crescent butt plates hurt on this one. 1886 or 1894 Winchesters are good. You can find great deals on older commemoratives via Gun Broker and almost none of them have ever been fired (usually they go for less than a well used 1890s through 1950s gun).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    For the 1860 look up the cowboy action fix to the "Henry Hop", you'll be glad you did.

For the 1873 the Ubertis have better action jobs and short stroke kits available than the Miroku/Winchesters. Again for the .357 there are issues known to cowboys and fixes. Look up OAL and magazine tube liner.

.45-70....shotgun butt or recoil pad! Trust me, crescent butt plates hurt on this one. 1886 or 1894 Winchesters are good. You can find great deals on older commemoratives via Gun Broker and almost none of them have ever been fired (usually they go for less than a well used 1890s through 1950s gun).

Lots of great reasons to buy a .45-70. But while shooting 100 rounds of .357 at a sitting is fun, you're not going to want to lean into a .45-70 all day long.

And yeah. Crescent butt plates have that great old time look, but as mentioned above, that's right about where the greatness ends. These rifles are about business...on both ends.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    So why do so many of the 1895 .45-70s have a short magazine tube? Is it a hunting restriction thing? I like my mag tubes to run the full length of the barrel.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    So why do so many of the 1895 .45-70s have a short magazine tube? Is it a hunting restriction thing? I like my mag tubes to run the full length of the barrel.

The 1895 has a internal magazine for 30-40 and 30-06
    The 1886 is 45-70 and most likely you are looking at Marlins and others.
    Look at the Brownings you will see the carbine and the rifle both with full length mag tubes.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Good Question. My 1895 and 336 (35 Rem) both have shorter mag tubes and my 336 (30-30) has a full length mag tube???
    I wonder if extending the mag tube on those two wouldn't be enough for another round in there? I might have to pull them out and see

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I’ve got an 1873 in 38/357 from Taylor’s, it’s my favorite rifle to shoot. Hands down.

+1 on this. I also mounted a skinner sight on it. Fantastic little rifle!!

On Winchester's Miroku 1873. I sent mine back. While it was a fantastic rifle in detail and craftsmanship, it was splitting shell casing around the middle (I posted about it then). I had thought maybe a headspace or easy fix or replacement. A month later I got ahold of "the guy" at Winchester who let on they were redesigning, but he wouldn't call it a recall.
    They paid for everything i had in the rifle too, shipping taxes, all of it. I wouldn't chance it again.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    +1 on this. I also mounted a skinner sight on it. Fantastic little rifle!!

On Winchester's Miroku 1873. I sent mine back. While it was a fantastic rifle in detail and craftsmanship, it was splitting shell casing around the middle (I posted about it then). I had thought maybe a headspace or easy fix or replacement. A month later I got ahold of "the guy" at Winchester who let on they were redesigning, but he wouldn't call it a recall.
    They paid for everything i had in the rifle too, shipping taxes, all of it. I wouldn't chance it again.

"Slipping shell casing around the middle???"

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm missing this, but glad you mentioned your experience with the 1873! One is on my list, thanks!

Ummm…...SPLITTING! My apology.....coffee....NOW! :o

Last edited:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    If you're looking for something completely different, you might consider Henry's Long Ranger in 223/556. Most of us have plenty of AR ammo sitting around, and this is one of the few lever action arms that can use it.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I'm missing this, but glad you mentioned your experience with the 1873! One is on my list, thanks!

Aw hell i cant type! splitting casings....here's a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpg
      IMG_2071.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 261

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md

And of course, i cant read either!!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom