• SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's an email update I received from Maryland DNR about the project:

Email Update from February 26, 2010

Mr. Owens,

DNR Engineering and Construction has informed me that the Myrtle Grove Shooting Range Project is on their master list for the 2012 fiscal year. Assuming the funding is in place then, the money would be available in July of 2011 (which is the beginning of the 2012 fiscal year) and we could possibly complete construction that fall (2011). Once the project is started and the architecture and engineering is completed the construction should go fairly quickly. Please remember that this time line is dependent on adequate budget and there is no guarantee the funding will be available. Unfortunately, as you know this project (as well as many other projects) has been postponed before. Please give me a call (410-535-XXXX) if you have any further questions.

Thank You,

David Heilmeier
    Southern Region Manager
    MD DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Open up the first pit again. Old timers tell me they had 2 back in the day. I think we drive past it coming in. The holes came from digging out the gravel to make concrete I guess.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Don't need the full time RO:)

I guess I've seen too many new shooters almost get themselves killed at MG.
    One guy walked over to his target during a hot range and another guy had a hang fire with a .50 cal revolver, ended up shooting the ground right in front of him and spraying rocks everywhere, then he turned to the side pointing the gun at the people standing next to him.:sad20:
    We also need to get some of the rules changed so we can fire more than one round per second or at least do double taps, and we should definitely be allowed to load our magazines with more than 10 rounds at MG, the magazine limit is 20 for Maryland for crying out loud.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'll second that on MG. It's a scary place to shoot. Unsafe shooters(present company excluded hopefully) and personally I think it's a dump. I've never been there and saw it clean. Maybe I just hit it at the wrong time but I'm glad I have Sanners now.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I guess I've seen too many new shooters almost get themselves killed at MG.
    One guy walked over to his target during a hot range and another guy had a hang fire with a .50 cal revolver, ended up shooting the ground right in front of him and spraying rocks everywhere, then he turned to the side pointing the gun at the people standing next to him.:sad20:
    We also need to get some of the rules changed so we can fire more than one round per second or at least do double taps, and we should definitely be allowed to load our magazines with more than 10 rounds at MG, the magazine limit is 20 for Maryland for crying out loud.

You have to remember "SAFETY" is everyone's responsibility, not just the RO.
    Helping/Assisting newbies or the inexperienced can be a rewarding encounter.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I try to go mid week, it usually limits the tards to just a few. I usually don't even bother trying on the weekends. It's just safer that way.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I guess Ive been lucky. I've never run into unsafe shooters at Myrtle. Usually just md shooters members, marines from down the river, and the typical 1 shot an hour bench guys.

I'd like to see a bench that could be moved to allow easier position shooting.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.

The mag limit is expired. They got rid of it when they rebuilt the range and listed the new rules.

Dan (bearded guy) said that double taps are ok, as long as you are keeping your rounds on the backstop.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I guess Ive been lucky. I've never run into unsafe shooters at Myrtle. Usually just md shooters members, marines from down the river, and the typical 1 shot an hour bench guys.

I'd like to see a bench that could be moved to allow easier position shooting.

My experience at MG was similar. Only one time had anyone scary at the range, and that was when some guy had his family out there teaching them, and his wife had no clue what 'muzzle sweep' was about.

Mostly met nice folks and a bunch of great MD Shooters folks. Like some of the others, I guess my timing was good.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You have to remember "SAFETY" is everyone's responsibility, not just the RO.
    Helping/Assisting newbies or the inexperienced can be a rewarding encounter.

Unfortunately, some people don't listen. At another DNR range I told a guy that hey, maybe it wasn't such a good idea for his kid to stand in front of the firing line to plink at things with his bb gun. Didn't even get an acknowledgment of that. Another time when there was a cease fire and people down range I pointed that out to a guy who was tinkering with his rifle, response: "I'm only adjusting the scope".

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well, I have been going to Myrtle Grove off and on over the past 38 years and I have put in many hours and years down there, I have seen some things that make you think that it could have been a bad situation, but, I have never in my time ever seen anything that would make not go back there, obviously. I don't feel it is a dumpy place, whatever that means StreetGang. MG is a gravel pit with wooden target stands and noise baffles made from recycled gravel elevator belts. I guess we could insist on silk cloth and red carpet to make you feel more at home... After with a name like StreetGang, I'm not sure I would welcome you there anyway, but, it's only a name and not a lifestyle, we can only pray.

Anyway, MG is a small place. It was not designed for 400 yard sniper rifles, or young guys with cocky egos who think they are snipers. It was build by demand by the local hunters to sight in .22 caliber squirrel rifles and 12Ga Deer hunting shotguns. It was built to serve a specific purpose by those who constructed it. If it were not for the hunting community, it would not have been built at all.

Is MG unsafe? it could be, but, that is only when you have some young kid down who just left Fred's with a new Glock 9 who still has that, "I'm all badass now, yo" complex. Some guys just don't need guns. Other than that I have never been afraid to step on the pad with other shooters.

Personally and completely IMHO, if you don't like MG, don't come there if you can't appreciate what little there is, and if you can't handle it for $20.00 a year, you're just whining at that point. Instead go somewhere else, it's only going to make my waiting in line time shorter.

I like MG simply due to the fact that it's a fun place to go, the older guys who are there are always really nice and everybody I've ever encountered has been a nice group of shooters to chat with, even if you've never seen them before in your entire life.

Come down, shoot, do your thing, meet new people, make a range buddy or 2, or 10 and make sure you check your egos at the gate, we're not their to prove how "bad ass" we can be.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Somdshoot,

Streetgang has some valid points. I love shooting at myrtle grove but you cannot deny some users treat the place like a trash pit. Ask the staff how many target holders are destroyed every week, how much bulk trash is dumped at the firing line, and in general, how poorly the place is treated by some of it's customers. I don't agree with him on general safety issues but there is plenty enough evidence for his other points.

We all are the shooting community, not only hunters but firearms enthusiasts as well. If MG was only run for hunters it would only need to be open one day a year, and that's the day before hunting season starts :innocent0 .

Acknowledging the problems is the first step to making improvements. I know several members on this site who donate supplies to the range and always leave with more trash than they brought with them. If we are going to continue to have public venues for shooting, they need to appeal to all the users not just a select few.

And on another note, I think you'll find that "streetgang" is a movie reference to some fellow combat boat drivers, not gangs on the street. The personal attack was unjustified, as were the insults directed at non hunting users of the range.

ewarfare

Feb 18, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    It's nice to hear news about a roof. It should make sunny and rainy days more tolerable.

I enjoy shooting at Myrtle Grove. I live in Lexington Park and I'm less than 2 mins drive from Sanners, but I'm not a member...so MG is my (and many others in this town) best option. Except for some jackass that insisted on having 2 target stands because he was "there first" while the range was full, I've met nothing but courteous and safe shooters. Then again, I've only gone on Fridays and mid-week.

I don't think it's necessary to have a full-time range officer, but a weekend officer would be nice to limit the knuckleheads I hear about on the weekends.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I'm glad MG doesn't have a roof. If I'm foolish enough to venture out in bad weather I am rewarded by an empty range. :D

Seriously, MG does have its dummies, but they are far and few between. One bad event sticks out more than 100 good events.

I also frequent MG often. The place is occasionally in disarray because alot of shooters act like children. When they're not watched they shoot the wrong things and leave their trash for someone else to pick up. Maybe we need some Mommies to be ROs. It would be nicer than looking at Dan.:D

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    After with a name like StreetGang, I'm not sure I would welcome you there anyway, but, it's only a name and not a lifestyle, we can only pray.

I'm going to pretend you don't know what your talking about and enlighten you. Streetgang has nothing to do with "Gangs".

It has alot to do with my military background in Naval Special Warfare. Streegang was a callsign in a movie called Apocolypse Now.
    It just happens to be a great movie as well.

Just a gentle reminder think before you write.

BTW. I'm used to running ranges where shooters clean up after themselves. Good safe and courteous shooters do that.

Your sarcasm doesn't go unnoticed there Skippy.

Apology accepted.

Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm going to pretend you don't know what your talking about and enlighten you. Streetgang has nothing to do with "Gangs".

It has alot to do with my military background in Naval Special Warfare. Streegang was a callsign in a movie called Apocolypse Now.
    It just happens to be a great movie as well.

Just a gentle reminder think before you write.

BTW. I'm used to running ranges where shooters clean up after themselves. Good safe and courteous shooters do that.

Your sarcasm doesn't go unnoticed there Skippy.

Apology accepted.

Good to hear it's not a street gang issue, as I stated with the comment "we can only pray" pretty much summed it up that I/we are unsure of the nature of the name, so, with that said, no harm, no foul. I also wanted to make it known that I too have donated much cardboard for targets, built target stands and spent plenty of time raking up the mess down there from spend shells, and sweeping up brass, so, I understand the issues some might face, but, in my decades of being there, people say things that they have seen, that I have never seen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom