• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://looserounds.com/2020/01/17/psa-announces-ak-line-up/

Specifically the AK-103 "Klone".

If you’re not familiar with the AK-103, imagine that someone took all the best parts of the AK-47 and put them together with all the best parts of the AK-74 and turned it into one amazing platform. That’s the AK-103. Chambered in 7.62 x 39 and featuring a hammer forged carrier, hammer forged bolt and hammer forged front trunnion along with an AK-74 style brake, gas block and front sight base. The AK-103 “Klone” will be built with a Hammer Forged Chrome Lined AK barrel chambered in 7.62 x 39.

The AK-103 Klone will offer two options: A standard and premium edition.

The Standard AK-103 Klone will host a hammer forged bolt, hammer forged carrier and hammer forged front trunnion and a PSA Cold Hammer Forged, Chrome-Lined Barrel.

The Premium AK-103 Klone will be built with a hammer forged bolt, hammer forged carrier and the Lead Star Arms 4340 Aircraft Quality Hammer Forged Front Trunnion. The barrel on the Premium AK-103 will be a Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined FN barrel chambered in 7.62 x 39 – a barrel made exclusively for Palmetto State Armory.

MSRP on the AK-103 “Klone” begins at $699.99

Both the standard and the premium will be offered in side folding or fixed stock options.

That sounds like it would probably be MD legal. If it incorporates AK-47 and 74 parts, it should not be fully parts interchangeable with an AK-47. I guess its a time will tell thing, but any thoughts?

An affordable, MD legal AK option, especially in 7.62x39 would be awesome!

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I’m betting no just because I don’t want to get my hopes up. I’d love to have an actual AK rifle over something like the M+M or PSA KS-47.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Century Arms will be releasing this AK-74 in 2020. It will cost more than the PSA though.

Attachments

• 3BFA0CBD-30EF-436D-BC96-5554D235E5F2.jpg
      3BFA0CBD-30EF-436D-BC96-5554D235E5F2.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 3,887

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Here is the blog where they announced their entire AK family lineup for the year:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blog/palmetto-state-armory-ak-lineup.html

Should be multiple MD legal options in there 5.45, 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, along with the 7.62x39 options. I'd be surprised if any of those (the AK103 being one of them), but I hope so. Kalashnikov USA announced they are working on a 5.56 AK as well as eventually a 5.45. And they have an AK103 coming out too.

And PSA is hoping to show off a prototype SVD Dragunov at SHOT Show 2021. Planned chamberings include 7.62x54r, .308, and 6.5 Creedmoor.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Is it truly an AK-103 clone or is it just an AKM dressed as one? The AK-103 has the AK-74M bolt carrier with the skinny stem. The trunnion also has a bump rivet instead of an integral surface for rotating the bolt. Didn't MSP interpret 7.62x39 sporter Saigas to be banned?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Is it truly an AK-103 clone or is it just an AKM dressed as one? The AK-103 has the AK-74M bolt carrier with the skinny stem. The trunnion also has a bump rivet instead of an integral surface for rotating the bolt. Didn't MSP interpret 7.62x39 sporter Saigas to be banned?
    It's an AK103ish. Skinny stem yes, not sure on bump rivet off hand, 4.5mm rear trunnion instead of Russian spec 5.5mm.

My guess is that since it takes the same mags and is an AK pattern rifle, the 7.62x39mm offerings will be banned. But I hope I'm wrong.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Needs total parts interchangeability IIRC
    If they were actually following their own rules the Zastava M70 would not be banned, neither would Hungarian AMD 63/65, or possibly even Romanian 63 pattern. But tyrants gotta tyrant . . .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The law is clear that it's "in any format". That is more expansive wording than the other bans, and it's why this would be banned as well. Sorry.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I don’t think they did. But I could be wrong about that.

It doesn’t get in to deep detail for their AK-103 Klone, but it mentions AK-74 muzzle device, front sight block and gas block.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also, wouldn't MSP also interpret it as banned since it has "AK" on the name?

No. The law says “AK-47 in any format”. Clones of it would also be banned, but it would need total parts interchangeability to be a clone. But also see above. MSP has ruled some slight derivatives are banned.

MSP has been saying AK-74s are legal.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    No. The law says “AK-47 in any format”. Clones of it would also be banned, but it would need total parts interchangeability to be a clone. But also see above. MSP has ruled some slight derivatives are banned.

MSP has been saying AK-74s are legal.

They consider the Vepr "AK74" and Interordnance "AK-74" banned though.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I hope these are all legal as well. I missed getting an ak before 2013 and the options out there now seem overpriced to say the least (arsenal models) and not in the proper calibers :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I hope these are all legal as well. I missed getting an ak before 2013 and the options out there now seem overpriced to say the least (arsenal models) and not in the proper calibers :)
    I'm pretty sure you're stuck with an AK pistol, Vz 58, or an AK not in 7.62x39. 5.45 is a great cartridge. I bought one of the first arsenal SLR104FRs that was allowed in MD and it has been a great rifle.

I moved to Virginia to escape AWB land . . . Ugh. Anyway I am not making the same mistake I did in 2013 and am stocking up on AK variants that interest me as they become available.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I'm pretty sure you're stuck with an AK pistol, Vz 58, or an AK not in 7.62x39. 5.45 is a great cartridge. I bought one of the first arsenal SLR104FRs that was allowed in MD and it has been a great rifle.

I moved to Virginia to escape AWB land . . . Ugh. Anyway I am not making the same mistake I did in 2013 and am stocking up on AK variants that interest me as they become available.

how much longer do yall have until your bans go into effect ?

Patattack88

Jan 9, 2020
    Westminster
    I seen on the YouTube channels 5.45 master race is making a come back if im not mistaken, it was like 3 of them. With arsenal hinting there “may” be a 5.45 import again. If it was me i would count on the 103 rule of thumb is if its 7.62x39 and its a ak they will say its a copy. Still don't know why the vepr got banned? Maybe by looks? But my 5.45s are needing a American cousin they all speak Bulgarian.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    how much longer do yall have until your bans go into effect ?
    Short answer is July 1 2020 if no revisions to the house bills are made and either pass.

Long answer: The senate ban bill was already killed, the house ban bill hasn't been read in committee yet. Supposedly undergoing revisions. Additionally there is a house bill that would eliminate Virginia preemption laws regarding anything firearms related, so theoretically a county could ban assault weapons, concealed carry, standard capacity magazines, silencers, etc. The county I live in happens to have flipped blue this election, so we would almost certainly get the pain train if that one passed. The senate version, which I think has already been approved for crossover to the house, "only" removes preemption for concealed carry for govt buildings, permitted events, etc. So depending on which gutting of preemption law sticks, we may get hit with two AWBs.

Outright bans are looking unfavorable and will look to probably die on the senate floor or in committee, but I don't trust the Democrats not to call a special session and do it anyway if there is another spree killing that makes the news.

But at a minimum, I have until July 1, 2020 to find a 7.62x39 AKm that I like. Also want a 5.45x39 pistol that I will SBR. I have a Draco 7.62x39 pistol that I will SBR soon, SLR104FR 5.45x39 rifle, and Vz58 rifle as well. If I can get the two I want prior to July 1, I'll be a happy collector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom